Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

38 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

i have a reason to be because of how they are playing, you are not going win championships by hitters taking nights off like they did at the end of the season and in game 2 against the braves, not to mention, they have to show up against the dodgers, astros, we are not going to be beat these teams by scoring less than 2 runs because besides wheeler, i dont trust the pitching will get it done. you cant overlook the issues with this team and the teams they are playing and of course this series isnt over yet either.

im sorry i dont have championship fever. deal with it.

spacer.png

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

25 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I wouldn’t say that just yet. Charlie Morton on the road this year has a 5.72 ERA. And that’s who Atlanta has going for them.  Tomorrow’s game feels like whoever gets to seven runs is likely going to win.

that's assuming that hitters dont pull a game 2

39 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

i have a reason to be because of how they are playing, you are not going win championships by hitters taking nights off like they did at the end of the season and in game 2 against the braves, not to mention, they have to show up against the dodgers, astros, we are not going to be beat these teams by scoring less than 2 runs because besides wheeler, i dont trust the pitching will get it done. you cant overlook the issues with this team and the teams they are playing and of course this series isnt over yet either.

im sorry i dont have championship fever. deal with it.

Who said anything about a championship. We’re talking about being the last team standing of the NL East. 

9 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

They aren’t facing Kyle wright in game 4 who is one of the best pitchers in the NL whose era was sub 3 and was 21-5. There’s a massive difference between Morton and wright. The one game he was really good was at home 

0F4F69C7-6743-4685-9610-64F9F28C66EC.thumb.jpeg.830dc461727c96e711f8e0e05e11c6aa.jpeg

10 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

Jesus.  I thought i was the most negative person…it’s ok to enjoy it.  They are 4-1 in the postseason.  

• Haha 3

Me:  toughfighter, how is your cat??

Toughfighter83:   My cat has

image.gif.22ab6bada2c5f2254c668e3cd6bc2b88.gif

• Haha 1

Might have a nola vs. nola nlcs if both the Phillies and padres can win tomorrow 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Might have a nola vs. nola nlcs if both the Phillies and padres can win tomorrow 

Padres could very well be doing the Phils a BIG favor if they take out LA and the Phils manage to beat Atlanta

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Procus said:

Padres could very well be doing the Phils a BIG favor if they take out LA and the Phils manage to beat Atlanta

The padres BP and starters are really filthy right now. the padres starters since the beginning of September have been phenomenal. Darvish has a 1.85 era, snell is 2.08 era and musgrove is 2.56 era since September 1st. Bullpen outside of game 2 in the playoffs has been lights out. Only 2 innings out of their last 23.2 innings they’ve appeared in have they given up a run. currently 17.2 consecutive innings without giving up a run. Idk how they fixed hader but he’s been really good since the start of September. he’s not given up an ER in his last 13 appearances. 

don’t get me wrong the dodgers are a great team but their starters right now aren’t what they were around midseason. Gonsolin was cy young worthy. Then Gonsolin got hurt and now he can’t go more than 2. Urias is still great. Kershaw’s playoff struggles showed up in game 2. Anderson might be their second best starter at the moment. I would also say the Dodgers lineup just seems off right now. I think the week off has some guys just off in their at bats 

I think the Padres beating the Mets when nobody thought they could do it has give them a great deal of confidence. And if they beat the Dodgers, that’s gonna be a huge boost. They were 5- 14 against the Dodgers this year. They had the same problem the Phillies had against the Mets. Going into the Dodgers series, I thought the Dodgers would either sweep them or beat them in 4. They pummeled that team all year. To the Padres credit they are playing with a ton of confidence and that bullpen is flat out fantastic right now. 

the Phillies can beat the padres if we get there. But we can’t waste starts by Wheeler and nola. Those have to win those. We also need Robertson back to sure up the pen.  Can’t have defensive lapses with how the padres are pitching 

Need to close the series today and avoid facing the chop in a 5th game. Fingers crossed. 

• Like 3

So when I put the game on last night just ahead of the scheduled starting time the NY/Clev game was on in extra innings. Turns out my streaming service only has one MLB channel. I didn’t like that of course but I was ok with it. However, when they failed to switch over after the last out I was a wee bit peeved. The screen was a just a static black with large white text saying "End ALDS Game”. Must have been 20-30 min. I was about to give up when suddenly the screen updated to some startup screen that at least said NLDS. Another couple mins and they finally got the stream right. Luckily it was just after the Stott double so my viewing started with all the fireworks. 

International viewing of US sports is still imperfect. Getting closer every year though. There are some benefits as well such as staying with the ballpark during commercial breaks. 

I am pumped to get another early game today. My wife not so much 😊

Rhys Hoskins is a flawed player.  Super streaky hitter, gives you bad to awful defense, and up to that point he hadn’t hit in the playoffs.  But that home run was probably the most exciting moment of the last 10 years in Philadelphia baseball.  So I have to give him credit there.

Beating the Braves is tough, but I like our chances today.  

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Let’s effing go, Pat!!

Couldn't afford  Chase? 

Just now, Captain F said:

Couldn't afford  Chase? 

Probably saving him for the next round

-_-

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

-_-

Don’t jinx us Dave. 

• Haha 2

46 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

-_-

Next round? With these choke artist? 

🤣🤣🤣🤣

33 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

:unsure:

I actually told my dad last night i wouldn’t be shocked if the Phillies got a late lead if Wheeler came on for an inning. Makes sense can potentially use your best pitcher to help close it out.