Captain F

Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 22/23 Offseason Champs

3 hours ago, NothingClever said:

I say "Bring on the Mets" (of course I doubt that they'll catch the Padres because that would take at least one maybe two more wins against the Astros).

I can't be the only person in here who remembers 1983 when the Phillies went 1-11 (and were shut out 5 times) against the Dodgers in the regular season, and everyone was wringing their hands about how the Dodgers were going to steamroll the Phillies in the playoffs because they owned them in the regular season.

The playoffs are a whole different beast, and I can't imagine anything more satisfying than them sending the Mets packing (unless of course they get super hot and go all the way). Stranger things have happened- I'm sure most of us remember a wild card Cardinals team that no one really thought had a chance in the playoffs getting through the top seeded Phillies on their way to winning the World Series.

while I agree with everything you're saying, historically speaking the Phillies have never been strong down the stretch. They've either sucked all year, or they've given us a glimmer of hope and then blow any chance by late August and into September. 

The team I thought that was destined to win it all was in '93 before Mitch Williams through it all away. I had the same feeling about the 2007-2010 Phillies and think it's a crime we only got one championship in that stretch. PP were better than the Giants in 2010, they were just super hot at the time and I honestly don't think the Phillies took them seriously enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JohnB said:

while I agree with everything you're saying, historically speaking the Phillies have never been strong down the stretch. They've either sucked all year, or they've given us a glimmer of hope and then blow any chance by late August and into September. 

The team I thought that was destined to win it all was in '93 before Mitch Williams through it all away. I had the same feeling about the 2007-2010 Phillies and think it's a crime we only got one championship in that stretch. PP were better than the Giants in 2010, they were just super hot at the time and I honestly don't think the Phillies took them seriously enough. 

TBH if the Phillies woukdve just kept Lee and still went and got halladay they’d have won it in 2010. To me the Phillies were unsure if Lee would come back and it’s why they dealt him away and got a prospect back for him in that halladay deal. They still gave up at the time drabek and even d’arnaud were considered highly rated prospects and got aumonte back (some other players too). He wound up coming back the following offseason cause he loved it in Philly. Granted don’t know if they go after oswalt but i tend to think they likely would’ve anyway cause it was either a starter or bullpen as the rest of the team was loaded 

4 hours ago, NothingClever said:

You were just young enough to miss that 1976-1983 stretch- what I've often referred to as the "golden age" of Philadelphia sports. Our teams in all sports were playing for titles or close to it a lot in those years and that was when I was 2-9 years old. I just assumed that the Philadelphia teams would always be playing for titles.

Life has sucked that delusion out of me.

Exactly. 38 as well…thus the reason I always get in arguments with my Dad and Uncles about how much they’ve suffered.

2 titles in 152 seasons…

Really makes you wonder why my age group even deals with this (not that we have a choice if you love sports).

7 hours ago, NothingClever said:

I say "Bring on the Mets" (of course I doubt that they'll catch the Padres because that would take at least one maybe two more wins against the Astros).

I can't be the only person in here who remembers 1983 when the Phillies went 1-11 (and were shut out 5 times) against the Dodgers in the regular season, and everyone was wringing their hands about how the Dodgers were going to steamroll the Phillies in the playoffs because they owned them in the regular season.

The playoffs are a whole different beast, and I can't imagine anything more satisfying than them sending the Mets packing (unless of course they get super hot and go all the way). Stranger things have happened- I'm sure most of us remember a wild card Cardinals team that no one really thought had a chance in the playoffs getting through the top seeded Phillies on their way to winning the World Series.

Scherzer and deGrom play for the Mets.

BRING ON THE FING CARDINALS!!!

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, SB52 said:

It’s going to be funny that the Mets play the dodgers in the nlds. That’s a ridiculous matchup. Braves as the 2 seed facing the Phillies or cardinals is a much easier matchup imo 

3 hours ago, SB52 said:

Cardinals it is. Here’s to at least a few more days of bonus Phillies baseball. I’ll be cheering for them to be successful against whoever they play until they’re eliminated or win it all.

1 hour ago, NothingClever said:

Cardinals it is. Here’s to at least a few more days of bonus Phillies baseball. I’ll be cheering for them to be successful against whoever they play until they’re eliminated or win it all.

Yep. They’ll probably lose, but I’m just happy to get playoff baseball finally. Get the guys who have never been there some experience. 

17 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I kind of agree with everything, but I'll take what I can get.  

Also, how in the world does making the playoffs this year, mean they won't make it the next 10 years?  That makes no sense.  

in 2011, we kept an aging roster which this is, alot of hitters accept harper that are good are aging, didnt make trades to get young prospects back, this is pretty much what it resembles, if we dont make it far, we have to make some trades to get young great prospects because if we dont make moves and just keep the older players, they will regress and we will back to another decade of not making the playoffs just like the 2011 team.

this is not the 2007 team more like the 2011 team because like i said these stars are not young.

1 hour ago, nipples said:

Yep. They’ll probably lose, but I’m just happy to get playoff baseball finally. Get the guys who have never been there some experience. 

If Wheeler and Nola bring their A game, it’s a winnable series. Suarez in a game 3 win or go home scenario scares the crap out of me though. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Im not ecstatic about them but they have some good young pitching that should come up the next few years.  Abel, painter, mcgarry

yes but im very concerned about the hitters because they are not young, some are getting injured, how long until they regress, if they regress, we are screwed and it's no different than the 2011 team, aging hitters couldnt stay healthy we payed a decade of not making the playoffs because of that.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, toughfighter83 said:

if this was a young team, i would have something to look forward to, problem is you have money on aging players, wheeler could lose a step from his injuries, nola is nola, he's not cole hamels, he could really suck next year. every player we have on this roster that's good is aging and inconsistent besides schwarber, if we cant move on from some of these players, this might be the only time we make the playoffs, there's no young talent on this roster to build from. 07 phillies didnt have aging talent that's why we went on a long run.

and yet here you are, whining like schoolgirl instead of living in the moment. well, enjoy your misery. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, toughfighter83 said:

in 2011, we kept an aging roster which this is, alot of hitters accept harper that are good are aging, didnt make trades to get young prospects back, this is pretty much what it resembles, if we dont make it far, we have to make some trades to get young great prospects because if we dont make moves and just keep the older players, they will regress and we will back to another decade of not making the playoffs just like the 2011 team.

this is not the 2007 team more like the 2011 team because like i said these stars are not young.

I agree it's not like the 2007 roster.  But it's a bit of a stretch to say they won't make the postseason next year because they did this year, like in 2011/2012.  Harper is still in his prime and will bounce back provided he stays healthy.  Castellanos can't be any worse than he was this year and he's 30, not like he's falling apart and 38.  They have two young pitching prospects.  They need to answer a few questions in the off-season.  I suspect they'll be buyers again.  

• Like 2

They still need bullpen help because this year’s FA signings didn’t work out.

1 hour ago, Blazehound said:

If Wheeler and Nola bring their A game, it’s a winnable series. Suarez in a game 3 win or go home scenario scares the crap out of me though. 

Tbh i wish they didn’t start Ranger last night. Used someone like nick Nelson and let him have a few days off. He’s pitched more innings than he ever has. If you give him a few days off and skipped his start maybe he’s a little fresher for that type of game. Heck if we don’t even get to a game 3 cause nola and Wheeler win their starts then he gets even more time off. Maybe with a ton of time off he’s rusty but i actually take that chance that he could be better with that much rest

48 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I agree it's not like the 2007 roster.  But it's a bit of a stretch to say they won't make the postseason next year because they did this year, like in 2011/2012.  Harper is still in his prime and will bounce back provided he stays healthy.  Castellanos can't be any worse than he was this year and he's 30, not like he's falling apart and 38.  They have two young pitching prospects.  They need to answer a few questions in the off-season.  I suspect they'll be buyers again.  

i still can't figure that situation out. WTF happened ? 

1 hour ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

and yet here you are, whining like schoolgirl instead of living in the moment. well, enjoy your misery. 

the hitters they overpaid accept harper are over the age of 30 you really think they got 5 to 10 years in them? i dont sorry. i'll say it again that's why the phillies went downhill same thing with 11 phillies, kept the players too long couldnt get nothing back as result they are stuck in mediocrity for over decade and no it's my misery because i know this isnt a championship team far from it, it's going  be yours when the hitters start breaking down and we are stuck in this again.

37 minutes ago, Alpha_TATEr said:

i still can't figure that situation out. WTF happened ? 

He’s living in a house that still has the stench of a loser in it. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

the hitters they overpaid accept harper are over the age of 30 you really think they got 5 to 10 years in them? i dont sorry. i'll say it again that's why the phillies went downhill same thing with 11 phillies, kept the players too long couldnt get nothing back as result they are stuck in mediocrity for over decade and no it's my misery because i know this isnt a championship team far from it, it's going  be yours when the hitters start breaking down and we are stuck in this again.

you really need a safe space, don't you

• Like 2

Whatever happened to dominguez when he got hurt he has not been close to as effective since coming back 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Whatever happened to dominguez when he got hurt he has not been close to as effective since coming back 

i think you go robertson with the hope that he has something left in the tank and can lean on his prior playoff experience. eflin for long relief ? 

Game times:

Game 1 - 2:07pm E.T.
Game 2 - 8:37pm E.T.
Game 3 - 7:07pm E.T., 7:37pm E.T., or 8:37pm E.T.

Pretty **** start time on Friday. 

39 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Game times:

Game 1 - 2:07pm E.T.
Game 2 - 8:37pm E.T.
Game 3 - 7:07pm E.T., 7:37pm E.T., or 8:37pm E.T.

Pretty **** start time on Friday. 

Are you Fing kidding me with that Friday game?

• Thanks 1

Yeah, why does MLB have the dumbest start times? It's like they want the lowest ratings possible.

work production just went to ish for friday afternoon. 

• Like 2

Glad Andersen will be doing radio. These other guys are terrible. Stocker is ok at best. They really need to find a good partner for Franzke or he may not come back I am sure other terms would like to have him