Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Get our Trophy Back

Captain F

On 5/24/2020 at 3:35 PM, Joe Hunter 73 said:

Why do they only show stupid games from the last few years, how about some real classic games

Why don’t they show playoff games or entire playoff series? Do they not have the rights to do so? I would watch that.

11 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Why don’t they show playoff games or entire playoff series? Do they not have the rights to do so? I would watch that.

Probably. They likely belong to the networks that aired them.

12 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Mlb network a couple nights ago had game 2,5,6 of the 1980 WS. That was a joy to watch. 

On 5/15/2020 at 2:57 PM, vsptroops said:

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that MLB goes 2 straight years shut down. No way. If you're gonna say that they should wait for a vaccine, good luck. Did they have a vaccine for H1N1 or SARS? Plus, according to the CDC, the flu vaccine is only 45% anyway so what do you think a vaccine for Covid-19 will be?

I’m with you. I laugh at people who think a vaccine is going to be the cure all to everything and get it back to normal. Normal vaccines take 10 to 15 years to be approved by the FDA because of testing and research. The fastest They’ve ever had was four years (flu they can do it yearly cause it is the same basic mechanics to making it but using data collected to change the antigen they think will be the common flu that season but keep everything else the same— in not so good of words sorry). Go look at the New York health.gov and CDC it says it all there (https://www.health.ny.gov/prevention/immunization/vaccine_safety/science.htm). So people think in 12 to 18 months That’s rushed and they don’t have all the data they normally do or research you’re going to get a vaccine that’s just magically going to be the cure-all and going to just rid us of COVID-19 or get us back to normal? That’s really unlikely happen. Heck If this rapidly mutates that could also be an issue with this where it might not be as effective as they want if that happens more and more.

add on i also love the people who talk like life and sports can’t get back until its completely eradicated. So cancer, ALS, HIV and even the common cold and so many more haven’t been eradicated and working on it for decades. Meanwhile the ones they have been able too it took decades and years to do so. Even with better technology and more knowledge at their hands it’s likely not anytime soon. So you are going to live in hibernation In your house and fear for the rest of your life until they figure it anywhere from now to the next 10+ years?

It’s such a misconception to believe that a vaccine is going to make everything normal. Not comparing it to the flu but a flu vaccine is only effective on 45% of people (granted they change the antigen every year trying to predict) so people think a vaccine created in a short period of time is going to be better than those percentages?

• Like 1

My optimism for the season happening is diminishing, not because of the virus which is what they will try to spin it as but because of greed

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

My optimism for the season happening is diminishing, not because of the virus which is what they will try to spin it as but because of greed

I’ve thought that for a while now It was not going to happen due to the money issues on both sides. Owners and players are too stubborn. Feels like a lost season like 1994 when they went on strike late in the year. 

Plus MLB has to get some sort of 2-3 weeks of spring training. If this "negotiations” bleed into the end of June you likely don’t start the season until middle of July and likely 75-80 games. Put that in perspective after 75-80 games last year the nationals don’t make the playoffs and the 2018 phillies are in the playoffs after 80 games and the dodgers who lost to Boston in the World Series werent. 

7 hours ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

It will likely be the death knell of the sport if they cancel the season due to money. Interest in the sport is obviously declining. Add on a work stoppage due to money, forget about it.

Honestly, if NHL and NBA come back in the summer, and NFL returns in the fall, most will not miss baseball even a little bit.

4 hours ago, Blazehound said:

It will likely be the death knell of the sport if they cancel the season due to money. Interest in the sport is obviously declining. Add on a work stoppage due to money, forget about it.

Honestly, if NHL and NBA come back in the summer, and NFL returns in the fall, most will not miss baseball even a little bit.

Yeah I'm sure the MLB will go ahead and dissolve.

I am tired of listening to the radio or getting alerts on my phone saying this person is optimistic or this person is pessimistic, Yesterday owner of Dolphins very optimistic, today head of NFLPA not optimistic

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Link?

Anything that would come from the head of the NFLPA is posturing.....period.  And of course the owner of the Dolphins would say that.  His stadium is normally empty anyway. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/2020-nfl-schedule-nflpa-director-doesnt-sound-as-optimistic-as-the-nfl-that-regular-season-will-be-played/

On 5/27/2020 at 12:05 AM, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Mlb network a couple nights ago had game 2,5,6 of the 1980 WS. That was a joy to watch. 

I remember watching Game 6 at home.  Series clinching out was at 11:10PM EST.  My dad had a boat for going fishing on the Delaware Bay so he had one of those air horns.  Those suckers are LOUD.  He let me go outside and blast (which I did, multiple times) it as a way to celebrate us winning the WS.  I remember at least a few of our neighbours coming out of their houses to see what the hell was going on.  Then a couple of my friends came running up the street banging pots and pans and yelling.  This was on a school night, but we won the WS so all bets were off if you had parents that understood what this meant.  

And, our neighbours 2 doors down was the Phillies' trainer.  Nice family, rather Southern as I recall.  All the neighbour kids on the block got signed baseballs with names like Schmidt, Carlton, Bowa, McBride, McGraw, Luzinski, Boone, etc.  I remember one time, we were playing the Cubs in Chicago and the pitcher Larry Christensen hit a GS HR and my mom went into the fridge and grabbed a bottle of champagne and went over to their house to share the champagne with the Mrs.  I forget the context of the moment, why the celebration, but just one of the childhood memories I have.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/28/2020 at 9:19 PM, Green_Guinness said:

This was on a school night, but we won the WS so all bets were off if you had parents that understood what this meant.  

I was 8 years old in '92 and obviously 9 in '93 (sorry :ph34r:). My parents established rules for playoff games on school nights that were actually pretty awesome for a kid that age. The ALCS it was bed time at 10PM which was usually around the 6th/7th inning. Any Blue Jays clinching game I was allowed to watch the whole thing. For the World Series, I was allowed to stay up for every single game. The other eleven months of the year my parents were absolute hard asses about going to bed on time. Go figure. 

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

The initial response from the owners’ side is not good. A source told Jon Heyman of MLB Network the deal is a "non-starter.”

20 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

The initial response from the owners’ side is not good. A source told Jon Heyman of MLB Network the deal is a "non-starter.”

Yeah I’m already under the assumption they are not gonna play this year. We’re in June now and they need at least two or three weeks to do spring training. If you get to the end of June you’re not gonna play. There’s no way you’re starting in end ofJuly and going all the way into October 31 for the regular season and starting the postseason in November when they’re going to be East Coast teams and it’s going to be bad weather then. Heck you might actually play games in December if you start postseason in November. There’s been years October baseball bled into November. 

• Sad 1

What really is a the point of a 50 game season. heck  the 2019 phillies would’ve been the top seed in the NL after 50 games. 

After watching  the 2008 playoff game last night, there is no way playoff games without fans would be enjoyable :thumbdown:

15 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

What really is a the point of a 50 game season. heck  the 2019 phillies would’ve been the top seed in the NL after 50 games. 

50 may be a little short but better than 162. It’s hard for me to really stay engaged for the entire season when they play so many damn games. I think NBA has the sweet spot at 82 games. Will never happen but I’d be happy if MLB permanently shortened the season close to this number of games. 

16 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

tenor.gif?itemid=12814769

• Haha 1

Players union won't even counter for the season. Not sure now the time to counter and say we won't play. Unemployment is what 40 million but the players need all their cash? Come on guys 

On 6/2/2020 at 9:18 AM, nipples said:

50 may be a little short but better than 162. It’s hard for me to really stay engaged for the entire season when they play so many damn games. I think NBA has the sweet spot at 82 games. Will never happen but I’d be happy if MLB permanently shortened the season close to this number of games. 

I disagree. I think 82 games in the NBA and NHL are still too many. Cut it back to say 64 games and cut the MLB season to 130 or so games and I'd be happy. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vsptroops said:

I disagree. I think 82 games in the NBA and NHL are still too many. Cut it back to say 64 games and cut the MLB season to 130 or so games and I'd be happy. 

I’d say 130 is way too many still for MLB. I like baseball, but no sport is going to hold my attention playing that many games over the course of 6+ months. 

15 minutes ago, nipples said:

I’d say 130 is way too many still for MLB. I like baseball, but no sport is going to hold my attention playing that many games over the course of 6+ months. 

While I agree, I think the purpose of the long baseball season is to separate the teams with the depth and the teams that don't- basically separating the men from the boys. Think about it, if they cut the season to 50 games last year, the Phillies were in first place but guess what, the combination of 162 game season, their lack of talent/depth and their goober Manager, they nosedived and the other teams in the division like the Braves, who won the division, and the Nats, who won the World Series, showed their talent. 

• Like 2