Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

Just to point out in the last 90 regular season games the Phillies have played they are 40-50. And 6 of the wins came against the nats. 

This becomes a larger issue if they finish june similarly. means last 4 months of regular season baseball thePhillies have looked closer to a below average team than what they did during the playoffs. So it would feel more like the 2022 postseason was lightning in a bottle and they’d have shown you in the regular season they are closer to what they’ve shown this year and even down the stretch last year 

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Shepard Wong said:

Bohm to the IL.  

Makes it bad is he’s our best hitter with RISP right now. Of the 7 other guys who regularly start (don’t consider Clemens or sosa as full time starters) only 2 are hitting with RISP. castellanos is hitting .273 and marsh is .308. Everyone else is just bad. harper is hitting .105 with RISP, Realmuto is .205, Turner is .180, stott is .217 and schwarber is .159. 

right now the Phillies look like the team from late august trip to Az to end of the regular season last year. The things that are happening are the same issues they had during that stretch. We forget cause the Phillies got in (Milwaukee also collapsed) and they went on a run, but leading up to the postseason they had played some of their worst baseball since girardi was fired and Thomson replaced him. 

21 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Makes it bad is he’s our best hitter with RISP right now. Of the 7 other guys who regularly start (don’t consider Clemens or sosa as full time starters) only 2 are hitting with RISP. castellanos is hitting .273 and marsh is .308. Everyone else is just bad. harper is hitting .105 with RISP, Realmuto is .205, Turner is .180, stott is .217 and schwarber is .159. 

right now the Phillies look like the team from late august trip to Az to end of the regular season last year. The things that are happening are the same issues they had during that stretch. We forget cause the Phillies got in (Milwaukee also collapsed) and they went on a run, but leading up to the postseason they had played some of their worst baseball since girardi was fired and Thomson replaced him. 

How bad do you think it has to get until Thomson gets fired? I'm on the fence with the guy. On one hand he had the postseason Cinderella story like you mentioned but on the other hand they've basically sucked during his tenure in all but that.

11 minutes ago, John Blutarski said:

How bad do you think it has to get until Thomson gets fired? I'm on the fence with the guy. On one hand he had the postseason Cinderella story like you mentioned but on the other hand they've basically sucked during his tenure in all but that.

Tbh i think they give him the rest of the season unless things really fall off the tracks. They were good in June and July last year. Really mid august things began to take a turn in the other direction. I give him credit and the Phillies credit for getting hot at the right time in the postseason. But the postseason run never happens if Milwaukee didn’t play worse than the Phillies and allow the Phillies to basically back in to the postseason after a 15-20 record to finish the 2022 season. like they basically had done the previous 4-5 seasons. 

to me, the Phillies have to start turning this around in June. This is the month you have to do it. The problem this year is there are better teams competing for the wildcard. Last year you were fortunate. it really came down to the Padres, the Brewers and the Phillies for the last two playoff spots. Everybody else was bad. This year that is not the case. Dodgers and Braves are basically locks to win their divisions. The Diamondbacks are going to make the playoffs. That rotation and that lineup are very good. The marlins and pirates aren’t push overs this year. Mets have begun to turn it around. The cardinals after a disastrous start have caught the Phillies. And like the Phillies the padres haven’t gotten going either. 

another issue not talked about enough is that the Phillies aren’t going to play the Washington nationals 19 times this year. So you’re not gonna get to beat up on them for 19 games. You’re only gonna get 13. So that’s six games that you’re going to have to play better teams and not given wins. With how the marlins and pirates are playing, they are likely not gonna have the same win totals against them you did last year. There’s a chance the phillies hover just around .500 all year 

• Like 1

Impressive he has more bunt hits this year then schwarber has singles in his last 28 games 

• Haha 1

Lol at walker. Our pitching coach is Fing useless. He’s had the same issue all year with control and even when he has good outings it’s an issue. So what the F is our pitching coach actually doing to help him figure out his walk issue? 

and now he’s hurt. So the list of Phillies who’ve gotten hurt this year or missed time: hoskins, harper, Walker, painter, hall, pache, Alvarado and bohm

15 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Lol at walker. Our pitching coach is Fing useless. He’s had the same issue all year with control and even when he has good outings it’s an issue. So what the F is our pitching coach actually doing to help him figure out his walk issue? 

Caleb Cotham has a long history of fixing pitchers, shut up :furious:

3 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Caleb Cotham has a long history of fixing pitchers, shut up :furious:

spacer.png

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Must still be May

They got the Nats and tigers next. If schwarber still looks like garbage through those series there’s a chance he doesn’t have the June everyone just expects him too. 

I get they still have four months of baseball left to play but I just don’t think this team is gonna turn it around to make the playoffs. Too many competing for those WC spots. they have a ton of injuries going on. And this is started since Rhys Hoskins got hurt in spring training. And it’s just continued throughout the course of the year.

Then you don’t have a fifth starter that’s reliable. and they can’t wait til the deadline to fill it and painter might just need TJ surgery. They continuously get to the fifth starter and get absolutely pummeled. So by the time you get to August your bullpen, which is actually decent, is going to tire out and be done for the last two months

And I really don’t see nola Turning this around. I think he’s having a 2009 Cole Hamels type season where he’s just never going to be as good as he was the year before 

then, when you get to the lineup, there is way too many guys having way below their career averages this year. The only ones that are hitting with runners in scoring position or Alec Bohm, Nick, Castellanos, and Brandon marsh. And frankly, I don’t think Marsh and Alex Bohm are going to hit over 300 with runners in scoring position all year. So at some point in time Harper hitting 105 with runners in scoring division and Turner hitting 180 isn’t going to do it. Add on it’s not just the hitting they are terrible on the base paths. And for the good moves that Rob Thomson made last postseason,  been just  bad this year.

• Sad 1

Been asking for Bieber since last year. He’s an ace type pitcher but the issue is i think Phillies get outbid with this many teams going to be in the race and they might decide against a big trade 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Been asking for Bieber since last year. He’s an ace type pitcher but the issue is i think Phillies get outbid with this many teams going to be in the race and they might decide against a big trade 

The absolute last thing the phillies should do is buy.  Another team that needs to be torn down and rebuilt 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GoEagles5921 said:

The absolute last thing the phillies should do is buy.  Another team that needs to be torn down and rebuilt 

They won’t do that. 

3 hours ago, vikas83 said:

This team is hot garbage. Last year was fun at least. 

They will get hot in June, relax

• Haha 1

End of june we still suck like this? Sell off all the one year rentals for whatever, and I'm sure they can get someone who will overpay for Nola. 

I would listen to offers for just about everybody except the kids.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Steve 17 said:

End of june we still suck like this? Sell off all the one year rentals for whatever, and I'm sure they can get someone who will overpay for Nola. 

I would listen to offers for just about everybody except the kids.

This.  I’d consider selling JT, Nola, Walker, Schwarber, Turner and Castellanos and anybody in the bullpen 

4 hours ago, GoEagles5921 said:

This.  I’d consider selling JT, Nola, Walker, Schwarber, Turner and Castellanos and anybody in the bullpen 

Nola is an easy tradable asset. The team that trades for him gets high round picks if he walks in FA. I think the issue is he has to be better than what he looks right now otherwise gonna get less than you’d like. So it’d come down to do you like the prospects you are getting back more then potentially the 2 picks you get if he walks in FA. 

right now no one is touching Turner with that contract having 10 years left on it. Frankly don’t see him moved. Realmuto can definitely be moved. He was slow to start last year then second half turned it on. Has 2 years left after this year. Sadly we dealt away hoppe and don’t have a catcher in the farm system. Meaning if you deal him gonna need to draft and develop or get a prospect in a trade 

schwarber has only 2 years left too. Could see a team believing they can help with his swing and make him the player he was last year. Likely a team needing a power hitting DH.

castellanos has 3 years left. But he’s hitting really well this year. I actually think the time to trade him is now to maximize his value. Cause he’s not ultra consistent year to year. 

only bullpen guys i see them dealing would be soto and kimbrel. If they don’t see soto extending here at the end of the year then likely deal him. Kimbrel at that point you wouldn’t need but not sure what his market would be. 

walker got hurt yesterday so don’t know if he’s tradable especially cause he’s not been great this year and years left on that deal.

Sleeper to be traded might be wheeler. He has a year left on his contract and will be 34 next year. If you aren’t extending him after his current deal might want to cash in on him now. 

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

walker got hurt yesterday so don’t know if he’s tradable especially cause he’s not been great this year and years left on that deal.

https://www.nbcphiladelphia.com/news/sports/mlb/philadelphia-phillies/taijuan-walker-isnt-injured-but-concerns-mounting-for-phillies/3577527/?_osource=SocialFlowTwt_PHBrand

19 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Let’s see over the next couple starts. Phillies say somethings at times then a start later he winds up on the IL after a start or two cause he’s got inflammation of his forearm that’s decreasing his velocity and control