Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Would anyone be surprised if McCutcheon comes back?  I wouldn't.  

Surprised? No.

Livid? Yes.

Need to remind myself over and over again that 2007-2011 was the aberration. The Phillies have sucked for most of my life.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, vikas83 said:

Surprised? No.

Livid? Yes.

Need to remind myself over and over again that 2007-2011 was the aberration. The Phillies have sucked for most of my life.

A good reason why is their farm system and developing of young talent hasn’t been very good outside of that run. I’d kill to have a farm system and developing of young talent like the dodgers and rays do. The dodgers spend a lot of money but they always seem to have good pitchers i in their farm and good prospects to make moves with. 

12 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

A good reason why is their farm system and developing of young talent hasn’t been very good outside of that run. I’d kill to have a farm system and developing of young talent like the dodgers and rays do. The dodgers spend a lot of money but they always seem to have good pitchers i in their farm and good prospects to make moves with. 

I just look at a team like the Braves and get jealous. They were HORRIBLE in the 1980s when I first started watching baseball. Then, they bring up Glavine, Justice, Gant, Avery and add Smoltz and Maddux -- and dominate for over a decade. As those guys leave, they manage to stay competitive and relevant every year and then win again last year. Just blue chipper after blue chipper (Chipper Jones through Acuna). 

Meanwhile, their "fans" couldn't care less. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

That's why as Middleton, you should hire people from those organizations. Heck even the Marlins, while they don't do a lot of winning,  know how to draft and develop players. Who does Middleton hire instead? Mcphail and Klentak- 2 guys from losing organizations. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Cool.  Then why are you talking about them?

Because someone brought them up in the Phillies thread...... They're by far the worst franchise in Philly.... Haven't won crap in almost 50 years 

So they are going to use health and safety protocols as an excuse to keep the runner at 2nd in extra innings 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, iladelphxx said:

Because someone brought them up in the Phillies thread...... They're by far the worst franchise in Philly.... Haven't won crap in almost 50 years 

In fairness the Phillies have been in existence for 138 years and have 2 titles. The flyers have 2 in 55. Both haven’t exactly been stellar 

Glad to see that Phillies at least have a pulse. 

They've signed a couple relivers and brought back Odubel on a one year deal.

So, we know they're alive and working at this stuff.

Now what? 

We are waiting for the big deal to be announced.

Or more than one big deal.

48 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Glad to see that Phillies at least have a pulse. 

They've signed a couple relivers and brought back Odubel on a one year deal.

So, we know they're alive and working at this stuff.

Now what? 

We are waiting for the big deal to be announced.

Or more than one big deal.

Bryant/Castellanos or bust. Schwarber does absolutely nothing for me. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, What The F said:

Freeman or bust!

He is going to Toronto, Los Angeles or Yankees

32 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Works for me. Get him out of the division.

Olson is just as good at the plate, a better defender and younger. 

Screenshot_20220314-231510_Chrome.jpg

Jim Salisbury on WIP just said that he's anticipating a big signing this week 

Mentioned Bryant, Schwarber and Castellano 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

Olson is just as good at the plate, a better defender and younger. 

Screenshot_20220314-231510_Chrome.jpg

Yes, 2021 was also Olson’s best year in the majors, at 27. 2020 was also arguably his worst. We’ll see if he can maintain his 2021 level of play. Braves definitely gave up a haul of prospects for him. 

28 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Yes, 2021 was also Olson’s best year in the majors, at 27. 2020 was also arguably his worst. We’ll see if he can maintain his 2021 level of play. Braves definitely gave up a haul of prospects for him. 

2020 was a down year for most people, given the situation. 

He had similar numbers to last season in 2019 

24 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

2020 was a down year for most people, given the situation. 

He had similar numbers to last season in 2019 

His strike out rate last year was considerably lower than any of his previous years.  I’m curious to see if he maintains that but he is a damned good player.

Not seeing Phillies in the mix for Seiya Suzuki. Wish we were. I'd give him a 9 year deal with escalating salary. Team options after 3 and 6 years. Player option after 6 yrs.

Castellanos, Shwarber, Bryant: How much money do we have left? Can we get 2 of these guys. Yes, I want all 3, but I'll settle for 2.

Matt Chapman from the A's: Just pull the trigger. We have a lot of holes to fill.

Pitching: We could use a quality starter and more work to be done filling out the bullpen.

Aside from the ballpark being half empty, is there a reason we can;t go over the Luxury Tax threshold? It's just money.

5 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

Jim Salisbury on WIP just said that he's anticipating a big signing this week 

Mentioned Bryant, Schwarber and Castellano 

I hope it’s Bryant. Bowden said this today 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I hope it’s Bryant. Bowden said this today 

If this is true, then Bryant should definitely choose the Phillies. Say what you want about Middleton, he wants to win but unfortunately has chosen the wrong people to lead his organization over the last several years. He spends money (not luxury tax money like we all want but close to it) in getting guys like Harper, Wheeler, and resigning JT. The Rockies owner signed Nolan Arenado and then traded him like 2 years later. Who knows how dedicated they are to field a winning team. Plus, he is best buddies with Bryce. 

3 hours ago, vsptroops said:

If this is true, then Bryant should definitely choose the Phillies. Say what you want about Middleton, he wants to win but unfortunately has chosen the wrong people to lead his organization over the last several years. He spends money (not luxury tax money like we all want but close to it) in getting guys like Harper, Wheeler, and resigning JT. The Rockies owner signed Nolan Arenado and then traded him like 2 years later. Who knows how dedicated they are to field a winning team. Plus, he is best buddies with Bryce. 

I was thinking the along the same lines.  I think maybe Bryant and his agent are using Colorado to maximize the offer from Philly.

• Like 1

Jayson Stark was on 97.5 and said that he's hearing that Bryant doesn't want to play in Philly and that Schwarber is probably the more likely option 

• Haha 1