Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

Anyone out there know if Nick Castellanos is related to Paul Castellanos?

A look back at the history of hits on NYC mob bosses

• Haha 1

No s on the end of Paul Castellano.

probably no direct relation.

Phillies 2022 motto:  Everybody hits!  Ka-koooooo!

5 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Any chance we can trade Hoskins for some arms?  

Maybe someone needs a DH?

They will obviously struggle with pitching and defense but seems like the plan is to offset that with an extremely deep lineup.  Going to be a lot of 12-10, 9-6 type games.

• Like 2

Can’t wait to see the roster for opening day.

and the Phillies should be buyers at the trade deadline.

Looking like an exciting year for Phillies baseball.

Trevor Story to sign with the Red Sox.

6yrs $140Mil

$23Mil per year

I think that’s an over pay.

• Like 1

Random thoughts:

NYM Mets CF Starling Marte has oblique injury.

I wanted Marte playing CF for Phillies. That would have been us. Sign player. Watch him nurse injury.

Jorge Soler to FL Marlins. 3yrs $36Mil. $12Mil per year. 

Brings some power. Light on AVG.

Phillies sign Ronald Torreyes. I thought he was good for us last year. Too bad Freddy Galvis went to Japan. 

Farm system question:

If you were to look at the MLB players and group all of them with the team that drafted and brought them through the system…who would have the worst roster in MLB?

I have to imagine the Phillies would be on the short list.  Sixto, Nola, Hoskins, and Bohm are the best farm products we have, right?  That’s got to be as bad or worse than the top guys of any other franchise over the last 10 years.

On one hand, it shows how bad we are at identifying and developing talent.  On the other, it does show the impressive gymnastics they have done at the MLB level to bring veteran talent into the roster.

10 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

Farm system question:

If you were to look at the MLB players and group all of them with the team that drafted and brought them through the system…who would have the worst roster in MLB?

I have to imagine the Phillies would be on the short list.  Sixto, Nola, Hoskins, and Bohm are the best farm products we have, right?  That’s got to be as bad or worse than the top guys of any other franchise over the last 10 years.

On one hand, it shows how bad we are at identifying and developing talent.  On the other, it does show the impressive gymnastics they have done at the MLB level to bring veteran talent into the roster.

To me, it’s not so much the drafting as it is the player development. If the team had adequate player development, they should have a lot more MLB prospects and players just based on the sheer amount of players they draft every year. I really belief that’s the fundamental issue.

Just look at the glut of outfield prospects they’ve completely whiffed on in the past 10-15 years as an example. At least one or two of those guys should have panned out and had a respectable MLB career, but none of them did. Same thing with starting pitching. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Blazehound said:

To me, it’s not so much the drafting as it is the player development. If the team had adequate player development, they should have a lot more MLB prospects and players just based on the sheer amount of players they draft every year. I really belief that’s the fundamental issue.

Just look at the glut of outfield prospects they’ve completely whiffed on in the past 10-15 years as an example. At least one or two of those guys should have panned out and had a respectable MLB career, but none of them did. Same thing with starting pitching. 

Pretty pathetic isn't it? Who was the last outfielder they drafted who was decent? Burrell? Then in recent times you have guys like Cornelius Randolph, Mickey Moniak, Adam Haseley. It's unreal how an organization with as many resources as the Phillies have, have been as awful as they have been drafting and developing over the last 10 plus years.

Aside from the constant, baseline frustration that they cannot identify and develop quality MLB players, I really like their approach to this offseason.  They generate hype and excitement while stacking up the lineup.

If the team is flexing by the all-star break and trade deadline, they can make some moves to bolster the bullpen and go on a run.  If they are disappointing, sell off some of their pricier, underperforming assets and re-load.

5 hours ago, Blazehound said:

To me, it’s not so much the drafting as it is the player development.

its like some of these guys they bring up look like they are still in legion ball. 

On 3/20/2022 at 5:24 PM, CouchKing said:

Trevor Story to sign with the Red Sox.

6yrs $140Mil

$23Mil per year

I think that’s an over pay.

Did you see what the Phillies gave Schwarber?

1 minute ago, SB52 said:

Did you see what the Phillies gave Schwarber?

Isn't $20Mil per year standard OF slugger money?

Did you see what they paid Kris Bryant? Like $27Mil per year?

Schwarber .266AVG  32HR  106H   71RBI $20Mil/yr 4yrs

Story .251AVG  24HR   132H   75RBI   $23Mil/yr  6yrs

6 minutes ago, CouchKing said:

Isn't $20Mil per year standard OF slugger money?

Did you see what they paid Kris Bryant? Like $27Mil per year?

Schwarber .266AVG  32HR  106H   71RBI $20Mil/yr 4yrs

Story .251AVG  24HR   132H   75RBI   $23Mil/yr  6yrs

You’re (intentionally) comparing Schwarber’s best year to Story’s worst.

2 hours ago, SB52 said:

You’re (intentionally) comparing Schwarber’s best year to Story’s worst.

Career Splits Home (Coors) vs Away 

Screenshot_20220322-230425_Chrome.jpg