What The F

Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - Decade of Suck

There will be baseball this year, just don't blink or you may miss it

Phils just got one of the most talented arms in the draft.

11 minutes ago, eagle45 said:

They needed to take the chance on him. Besides Spencer Howard they really don’t have great SP in their system and he has electric stuff if they can team him how to control and pitch. 

i believe first pitcher they’ve taken in the first round since nola in 2014

Isn't the track record of high school pitchers kinda poor? I guess Hamels was an exception. Maybe Brett Myers too. But it seems like they usually fizzle out somewhere along the line.

A little concerned that the Mets just got a player who’s mom is the mom of Billy Heywood (owner and one time manager of the Twins).

All of this stuff about Abel sounds great.  But why was he taken 15th then?  Needs at other positions for other teams?  Differences in who has a chance to be the best pitcher?

22 minutes ago, xzmattzx said:

All of this stuff about Abel sounds great.  But why was he taken 15th then?  Needs at other positions for other teams?  Differences in who has a chance to be the best pitcher?

Likely cause the high school season never happened or very little games so there was more of a scouting report on the college players. as they likely had more advanced scouting As played more seasons at a high level. It’s why you saw more college players get drafted in the top 10 then you saw just 2 high school players And had none in the top 7. 

he was by most the best high school pitching prospect. Everywhere I read said the Red Sox really wanted to take him at 17 because they lost a draft pick In the cheating scandal and they were willing to extend more to sign him with the loss of the draft pick to go after a more upside player who was likely harder to sign 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Cool, cant wait to watch him in 7 years.

This is why I can't get into baseball everything is so damn slow from the game to the development

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

This is why I can't get into baseball everything is so damn slow from the game to the development

I love baseball just cant get into the draft ever.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

I love baseball just cant get into the draft ever.

I like it but like I said everything is so drawn out. My interest levels go up and down throughout a season

17 hours ago, eagle45 said:

high school pitcher. Hope it works out, but I have a feeling I wont be hearing his name again anytime soon

With their third-round pick (87th overall), the Phils drafted shortstop Casey Martin, a right-handed hitter from the University of Arkansas. 

Martin was the 38th-ranked prospect overall in the 2020 draft by Baseball America. 

Martin (5-11/175) hit 30 home runs in 684 plate appearances for the Razorbacks. He's described as having a power-speed combo. He was drafted as a shortstop but some think he could end up at second base or in center field.

Here is a piece of Baseball America's scouting report on the 21-year-old Martin:

"Martin is perhaps the most toolsy college infielder in the 2020 class, with plus speed, arm strength, raw power and a chance for plus defense at shortstop as well. Typically, a college shortstop with that tool set goes among the top 10 picks. 

"What holds Martin back is his ability to make the most of those tools, with an overly aggressive approach at the plate and less consistency than teams would like in the field. There are significant questions about the quality of Martin’s hit tool and his approach."

Yea the biggest drawback to baseball is that following prospects is almost impossible unless you're a hardcore fan who follows the lowest level leagues. Draft a guy and never hear about him again for 5 years when he gets to AAA and then wait another 3 years for him to make the big leagues 

Well the Phillies went alllll about upside in this draft.  That's one way to do it, since in baseball, they are all projects anyway.  

Radcliff is perhaps the most interesting prospect of all.  He's got a sweet left-handed swing with enormous power and great athleticism.  Those could be the ingredients for a heck of a corner outfielder.  But he makes poor contact and he apparently doesn't field the position so well despite the athleticism.  

Great lottery ticket at that point in the draft.  But, of course, the last thing the Phillies need are more hitters at the corners who bat .210-.260.

He sounds like a lefthanded version of the guy they drafted in the first round about ten years ago who batted around .200 in the minors and never made the major leagues.

3 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Well the Phillies went alllll about upside in this draft.  That's one way to do it, since in baseball, they are all projects anyway.  

Radcliff is perhaps the most interesting prospect of all.  He's got a sweet left-handed swing with enormous power and great athleticism.  Those could be the ingredients for a heck of a corner outfielder.  But he makes poor contact and he apparently doesn't field the position so well despite the athleticism.  

Great lottery ticket at that point in the draft.  But, of course, the last thing the Phillies need are more hitters at the corners who bat .210-.260.

I think they drafted him with the proposed adoption of the DH in the NL in mind 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, iladelphxx said:

I think they drafted him with the proposed adoption of the DH in the NL in mind 

He’s athletic enough that there’s no reason not to coach him up and see what happens as a corner OF.  But the DH transition only makes his odds better.  

• Like 1