Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

The Texas rangers have sent all personnel home due to covid cases exploding in Texas and the employees too afraid to return to work.  Ya. They will be ready for baseball in 3 weeks.  Lol

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

BAMF

On 6/24/2020 at 1:09 PM, iladelphxx said:

It’s really pathetic that the guy we just drafted is no. 3 already  It speaks to just how eh the rest of the guys are besides Howard, bohm and stott . Howard and bohm might be in the majors this or whenever we start again. meaning the guy we just drafted would be our best prospect and our third is the other guy we’d drafted this year. 

• Like 1

I really don't understand why MLB isn't playing in some sort of bubble. To me just spells disaster 

On 7/1/2020 at 9:08 AM, DaEagles4Life said:

I really don't understand why MLB isn't playing in some sort of bubble. To me just spells disaster 

I don’t understand why a dying, outdoor sport wasn’t playing two months ago when they were needed.

37 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Dying?!  Please explain.  

Seriously?

When I was growing up, the NFL overtook MLB as the true national pastime. Now, baseball has been overtaken by the NBA!

80+% of boys in elementary school (and a few girls) used to play baseball. Now, it’s tough to find kids who even like baseball.

I didn’t know anyone believed baseball wasn’t dying. It’s going the way of horse racing.

3 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

LOL.  How do you measure that it is "dying" other than your opinion of what kids are doing?  How has it been overtaken by the NBA?  By what metrics?

Attendance at games has been dropping steadily for over a decade now. I’m not saying it’s a "dying sport” or anything, but certainly seems to be dropping in popularity. 

• Like 1

Baseball isn't dying, but it is doing 50 MPH on a German autobahn.  The NFL and now the NBA are supercars that have have zoomed past and baseball is in their rearview mirrors.

I'm getting a little tired of seeing Zack Wheeler's feelings on this current pandemic.  I totally get it.....he has a baby on the way that he's not going to miss, and he's nervous for the safety of his family, but he can stop talking about it now.  This is the 3rd or 4th time this offseason he has felt the need to speak up.  Ish or get off the pot.  He's getting 118 mil guaranteed to be at the top of the rotation, and the team needs his commitment now.....OR if he's not comfortable, then to go be with his family.  

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/phillies-zack-wheeler-opposed-to-mlbs-reported-plan-to-quarantine-players-to-start-season-thats-not-going-to-work

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/phillies/2020/04/11/phillies-zack-wheeler-wont-miss-kids-birth-mlbs-proposed-idea/2976273001/

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/philadelphia-phillies-zack-wheeler-coronavirus-status-wife-pregnant-20200705.html

7 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

And the NBA was "dying" after Jordan left.  Everything is cyclical.  

I think though the average age of baseball fans is trending higher unlike the NBA. That is the long term problem for MLB, attracting younger fans.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hputenis said:

I'm getting a little tired of seeing Zack Wheeler's feelings on this current pandemic.  I totally get it.....he has a baby on the way that he's not going to miss, and he's nervous for the safety of his family, but he can stop talking about it now.  This is the 3rd or 4th time this offseason he has felt the need to speak up.  Ish or get off the pot.  He's getting 118 mil guaranteed to be at the top of the rotation, and the team needs his commitment now.....OR if he's not comfortable, then to go be with his family.  

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/phillies-zack-wheeler-opposed-to-mlbs-reported-plan-to-quarantine-players-to-start-season-thats-not-going-to-work

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/mlb/phillies/2020/04/11/phillies-zack-wheeler-wont-miss-kids-birth-mlbs-proposed-idea/2976273001/

https://www.inquirer.com/phillies/philadelphia-phillies-zack-wheeler-coronavirus-status-wife-pregnant-20200705.html

I didn't read each article but are these different times he was quoted or just one time being reported by different places?

37 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

I didn't read each article but are these different times he was quoted or just one time being reported by different places?

They were different quotes at different times.  The first couple were back in April where he was expressing concern.  Now he's doing it again in almost a whiny way.  I'm pretty sure he had some more quotes in the middle of the summer but I couldn't find them.  

Again.....I'm not against players speaking their minds if they are nervous about the upcoming season or if they have families they are concerned about.  But just do it once.  Don't go along for the ride if your head isn't fully in it while whining to multiple news sources along the way.  

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 6:02 PM, hputenis said:

They were different quotes at different times.  The first couple were back in April where he was expressing concern.  Now he's doing it again in almost a whiny way.  I'm pretty sure he had some more quotes in the middle of the summer but I couldn't find them.  

Again.....I'm not against players speaking their minds if they are nervous about the upcoming season or if they have families they are concerned about.  But just do it once.  Don't go along for the ride if your head isn't fully in it while whining to multiple news sources along the way.  

I haven't seen anything. Is the guy out there calling individual press conferences to say this over and over? That would be weird. Or is he just being asked multiple times and answering it over and over?

On 7/11/2020 at 11:12 AM, BirdsFanBill said:

I haven't seen anything. Is the guy out there calling individual press conferences to say this over and over? That would be weird. Or is he just being asked multiple times and answering it over and over?

I don't know the details, but I doubt he's actually calling press conferences.  I'm just posting the 3 separate times where he felt the need to say something starting back in April and then again last week.  He's probably being baited by the Philly media a little bit.  I'm just hoping he stays focused (if he decides to stay) and really provides a boost the top of this rotation.  

be my google!  

what's the plan for the mlb season? i believe i saw that it will be a 60 game season...is that correct?  where will the games be played? will there be fans?   i'm so starved for sports that i might actually attempt to watch some baseball this season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mikemack8 said:

Beat it, Fugazi

don't worry...i won't watch the sillies. :lol:  

Phillies Intrasquad game on You Tube now

7 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

Phillies Intrasquad game on You Tube now

Any season ending injuries yet?

1 minute ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Any season ending injuries yet?

Hold on Quinn is batting now so there is a possibility......He did not injure himself

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Harper starting to look Like Jayson Werth with all that hair....velazquez strikes him out, bizzare world

Hold on Kingery is playing, but he had the virus and the media made it seem like he was gone forever yet here he is wow!!!

I may be in the minority heer but I do not like Frandsen as a color guy