Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

6 hours ago, vsptroops said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/phillies/jonathan-papelbon-delivers-nsfw-rant-phillies-bryce-harper

I know Paps is the all time team leader for saves but what a stupid signing that was. 5 years for a declining closer? Surprised the Nats actually traded for him. 

Here’s what I read

"When they brought in me,  yada yada yada, the sh**show began after that, I believe. It's been nothing but downhill for the Phillies since then

• Haha 3

I forgot this was against the Phillies

5 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

ED147677-F290-4761-A370-7C9B133A06B1.jpeg

Figures Cole Irving would turn into a passable starter once he left the Phillies. Howard not so much. 

Effing Apple tv + game this week and in a few weeks, it is a brutal broadcast

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Blazehound said:

Figures Cole Irving would turn into a passable starter once he left the Phillies. Howard not so much. 

I thought the Phillies gave up on him too fast. They gave pivetta and velasquez a ton of them cause they had "stuff”. Irvin was great in triple A and knew how to pitch even if his stuff wasn’t great. He’s finally got some experience and applying it cause he knows how to pitch and set up what he needs too. He’s never going to be a top end starter but he’s fine as your 4/5 starter 

2 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Effing Apple tv + game this week and in a few weeks, it is a brutal broadcast

I'm sure it's better than no broadcast...which is what I'm gonna get.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

I'm sure it's better than no broadcast...which is what I'm gonna get.

Why?

That was some vintage Phillies defense there 

also why start gibson in this game? Start wheeler. If you started wheeler tonight he goes the last game of the Braves series which could be big. Now he misses the Braves and faces the pirates. 

Well at least we aren't the Red Sox Tonight :phil:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

It’s brutal not to get the game.  Ridiculous 

Because we don’t have Apple + or whatever the f it is.  

This.

And I'm glad I didn't waste my time anyway.

• Like 1

Frankly the angels are in the business of wasting otani and trout’s careers

15 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Frankly the angels are in the business of wasting otani and trout’s careers

Those guys chose to sign there

22 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Those guys chose to sign there

Doesn’t explain why the angels have consistently not been able to build the team around them in that market. I’d sign to be in Orange County too for that money. I don’t think trout or otani are complaining about being there. That still doesn’t excuse the angels for consistently not being good or at least make the postseason with 2 of the best players in the league. They’ve had trout for 12 years. Played 3 postseason games in that time. Had otani and trout for 5 years, they are 51 games below .500. At some point it’s on the angels organizationally who only made the postseason 1 time in 12 years. Just saying the Phillies who’ve missed for 10 straight seasons still have 1 more postseason appearance than the angels in that time 

besides signing otani and extending trout, the angels organizationally have continued to just make bad moves. 

If i were the angels I’d trade Mike trout. He’s 32 and you aren’t in position to win. I’d try to max his value at what he is now rather than just let him age and breakdown (already started) and get nothing for him. He’s awesome if you are a contender but the longer you wait the longer he becomes a depreciating asset. The time to do it is now. 

Not including todays game for the month of July 

phillies record and offense vs. anyone not named marlins and nats 

4-6 and 2.9 runs per game (the last 7 games it’s been really bad 2-5 and 2 runs per game) 

Phillies record and offense vs. marlins and nats 

5-1 and 5.7 runs per game. 

Holy Crap CB Buckner is terrible

42 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

How anyone can argue that we need pitching of any kind over a hitter is beyond me.   

They really need both. Last night gibson was bad, they gave up 15 runs and couldn’t hit. Tonight wheeler and bullpen were great (til the 10th— also horrible defense) and we can’t hit. Tomorrow is Bailey falter and eflin is out for an extended period of time. Gibson for the past 2 months has a 5.7 era. They really need a starter and a bat (particularly a centerfielder).

That said segura is apparently close to coming back which removes didi from the lineup so that’ll help. Plus if they get back harper mid august that’ll also a help. 

Why didn’t the Phillies intentionally walk morel to load the bases to have a force out at any base? 

The Phillies are back to being the Phillies. Losing games to teams they should beat. The offense has disappeared. The defense is horrible. And the bullpen has turned back into a pumpkin. The cardinals are going to win that last wild card due to how easy their schedule is. Even with the Phillies schedule being easy they just aren’t that good and don’t take care of business. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Pitching has been decent recently, even the BO before this series.  This offense has been horrific the past few weeks.  If they had any offense they would have won today.  Problem is they don’t have enough assets to get both.  So if it’s one or the other it needs to be offense.  

The problem is the only major offensive player that is out there for the position that they need (centerfield) is Benintendi. There’s happ who’s a solid upgrade but the market is going to be competitive for him. We don’t have as good of prospects as a team like the Yankees who’d overpay for him (in on him)or a team that is a better position long term to give a prospect to get benintendi. benintendi the biggest difference maker at centerfield on the market. Unless you’re willing to give up painter, Abel or McGarry then you likely aren’t getting him.

Add on benintendi is a FA at year’s end so you essentially have to give him a big deal to keep him. If you do that, it likely takes you out of the trea Turner market next offseason. which they currently have a hole at SS or 2b next year  

the secondary market you’re basically with guys who are slightly better than what you’re trying to win with now besides happ. I think they can get happ but they likely overpay as the drop off form benintendi to happ to after him is steep. It’s likely what i think they do.

Another issue is if gibson pitches like he has the last 2 months, falter is what he is (and even Suarez) and a hole in the rotation where they have to go bullpen games then you’ll begin to overwork your bullpen and they’ll deteriorate. 

If I’m giving up major prospects in a trade I’m going after an ace type pitcher like Luis Castillo or montas who’ve been great for the Reds and A’s this year. And both controllable for another year. Go after a slight upgrade in CF and hope segura returns soon and harper by mid august is enough. 

17 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Well with no offensive help, this team isn’t doing ish.  So there’s no reason to make a move.  

Tbh I’d not make a move until august 1st to reassess where they are. Legitimate they had cubs, Braves and pirates for 10 games. 7 against cubs and pirates. They should’ve been able to go at least 6-4 in this stretch. If they manage to not even go 5-5 i don’t think it’s worth it for them to make a move unless they are making one that also helps in 2023. 

but this is going well

58 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Tbh I’d not make a move until august 1st to reassess where they are. Legitimate they had cubs, Braves and pirates for 10 games. 7 against cubs and pirates. They should’ve been able to go at least 6-4 in this stretch. If they manage to not even go 5-5 i don’t think it’s worth it for them to make a move unless they are making one that also helps in 2023. 

but this is going well

It was a stupid question