Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Meh.  Make him shave and I’ll give him a chance.  

I still wouldn't have made the trade, but I can sorta see the logic.

2 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Marsh has had 4 homers and 11 RBI batting a lusty .180 since June.

Yeah, I’d say he sucks at the plate. 

Yeah you're right. It's best to evaluate 24 year old baseball players on two months of statistics in a 6 month season.

• Haha 1

Just now, vikas83 said:

I still wouldn't have made the trade, but I can sorta see the logic.

I get the logic if they believe they can get him to hit. However i think it’s a huge gamble with that type of prospect to give up. Tbh i rather be the angels in that trade. Frankly I’d be more willing to do the O’hoppe trade if the Phillies went Susac in the draft like i wanted. Then they’d have a highly touted catcher that was ready in a year or two. Making O’hoppe more expendable. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

The Moniak and Haseley picks killed us 

I’d add their development in the intentional market as well. They really haven’t developed someone from that pool in what seems like forever. Like Carlos Ruiz feels like the last one. 

Just now, BirdsFanBill said:

Yeah you're right. It's best to evaluate 24 year old baseball players on two months of statistics in a 6 month season.

He’s been a terrible hitter so far in his major league career and has only gotten worse throughout this season. I don’t know what to tell you. 

That’s my logic behind why they did it. Still see it as a huge gamble when the Phillies haven’t exactly crushed it with their own prospects hitting wise besides bohm. Rhys they managed to make worse from what he was by changing his swing for a couple years 

That said bullpen looks fantastic now if Robertson stays healthy and pitches like he has. They still have a massive hole in the rotation. And hitting wise is still up and down issue until segura and harper return. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

That’s my logic behind why they did it. Still see it as a huge gamble when the Phillies haven’t exactly crushed it with their own prospects hitting wise besides bohm. Rhys they managed to make worse from what he was by changing his swing for a couple years 

The strikeout numbers are concerning. If he doesn't improve then yes of course this was a bad trade. We will see. Either way lets all celebrate the departure of Odubel.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Well to be honest, Gabe and Klentak were most to blame for Hoskins by putting the launch angle, exit velo HR/walk or strikeout BS in his head.  And he’s definitely a little EMO head case. So that didn’t help much.  

Tbh it’s not like guys like hasley, moniak or kingery even after gabe was gone have gotten better playing more and the Phillies trying to develop them. Stott has a chance. But bohm is really the only one they’ve had success with their own prospects getting better with more mlb experience. 

tbh that’s my biggest concern in that logic. If we had shown more ability to do it with our own guys I’d be much more for it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Tbh it’s not like guys like hasley, moniak or kingery even after gabe was gone have gotten better playing more and the Phillies trying to develop them. Stott has a chance. But bohm is really the only one they’ve had success with their own prospects getting better with more mlb experience. 

Even before Gabe, garbage prospect after garbage prospect. Cody Ashe, Aaron Altherr, Franco, Dom Brown of course. It's hard to remember the last prospect that actually became an above average player besides Nola. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Even before Gabe, garbage prospect after garbage prospect. Cody Ashe, Aaron Altherr, Franco, Dom Brown of course. It's hard to remember the last prospect that actually became an above average player besides Nola. 

Actually had this convo today with a friend. Feels like the last time the Phillies had a great farm system was 2000-2006 where they had utley, rollins, Howard, hamels, Madson and had a rule 5 of victorino and international market with Carlos Ruiz development. Not talked about nearly enough is how bad our international market spending and development has been.  We’ve not had a player come through in that area in what seems like forever 

• Like 1

So this is apparently marsh’s mlb hitting percentiles so far 

ANALYTICS!!!

BD1A3DD5-EE50-4D04-B5AD-2DF13E4DEDA9.jpeg

Problem is rodon is a able to opt out this offseason and likely does if healthy considering how he’s pitched and can make more than 22.5 mil next year. So the issue comes down to overpaying for a possible rental 

also that last sentence of the tweet is horrifically worded 

4 minutes ago, mayanh8 said:

No

3 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

way. 

Actually good comp if he learns to hit.