Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

David Robertson….is that the same guy we paid millions and millions to pitch 2 innings before? Who am I thinking of? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Still don’t understand the logic of doing a bullpen game against the Braves. Just move Nola’s start to today giving him extra rest. And do a bullpen game against the crap pirates and the day off the following day allows your bullpen to be rested going into the Braves series. 

Disagree. Remember Nola’s start after the all star game when he had a couple extra days rest? He pitched poorly and the announcers were saying it might be because he was not on his normal day. By holding him back for this series, you’re running that same risk. Not only that, but you’re potentially putting him in position to make one fewer start this season than he otherwise might have. 

There’s a lot of season left. I think it’s way to early to be playing matchup games with your rotation. Just pitch em when it’s their turn.

2 hours ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Disagree. Remember Nola’s start after the all star game when he had a couple extra days rest? He pitched poorly and the announcers were saying it might be because he was not on his normal day. By holding him back for this series, you’re running that same risk. Not only that, but you’re potentially putting him in position to make one fewer start this season than he otherwise might have. 

There’s a lot of season left. I think it’s way to early to be playing matchup games with your rotation. Just pitch em when it’s their turn.

Eh i feel Like you had no chance in that Braves game with who they had on the mound and you having to go full bullpen. You can beat the pirates in a bullpen game and set yourself up against atlanta with your two best pitchers and a bullpen with a day off so everyone at your disposal. If wheeler winds up having a clunker then you really set your bullpen up for a long week.

I’ve also in the past seen nola get extra rest and he has been better. The Miami game after his cardinals start he had an extra day’s rest went 8.1 gave up 0 ER. He also had an extra day off from when he pitched vs  Washington and his next start against the padres  he went 7 inning and gave up 1 ER against the padres  

Also if we are concerned about less starts then we should’ve opened the second half with wheeler, nola and then ranger. That right there potentially you miss an extra nola and wheeler start. Instead we went gibson and waited for nola til the Braves series. Wound up getting swept by the cubs. 

I get may be one less start but it also might have given you a potential extra win when against the Braves doing a bullpen game isn’t going to work out well for you. And we could use as many wins right now with the cardinals on our heels and the easiest schedule in baseball. It very well couldve against a poor pirates team. I think you win the pirates game and give yourself a much better chance to bet the Braves than the bullpen game where you are forced to overextend your bullpen and hope wheeler doesn’t struggle which is more pressure on him and you don’t have an off day til Monday. 

to me this comes down to what gives you the best chance to win two games. I can’t worry about end of September/October now. I have to win as many as possible to keep pace to get to that point. Bullpen vs. pirates and a rested pen with a rested nola at atlanta. Or nola vs. pirates and a rested pen that needs to go 9 innings facing the hottest team in baseball since June 1st. Also went through the schedule, the way it sets up now nola misses the second Mets series (unless during an off day they skip someone in the rotation or yahoo is wrong about when Nola’s next start is) and nola with the Phillies off days later in the year could have the same amount of starts from now til the end of the year (assuming if they need to would skip someone like ranger, gibson and thor to do so) 

Hot take: Moniak is named to the Phils Wall of Fame someday.

40 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

FB_IMG_1659525556873.jpg

How pathetic. Only in Philly.

In fairness to the Phillies, that year's draft was pretty bad, particularly in the first round.  No player picked in the first round has made an All Star game yet.  

The best players so far from that draft were all taken in the second and fourth rounds.  They would have had to have a radically different board than the rest of MLB to have taken an impact player at that spot.

3 hours ago, Shepard Wong said:

In fairness to the Phillies, that year's draft was pretty bad, particularly in the first round.  No player picked in the first round has made an All Star game yet.  

The best players so far from that draft were all taken in the second and fourth rounds.  They would have had to have a radically different board than the rest of MLB to have taken an impact player at that spot.

While true about the Phillies, that still doesn't explain the rest of the whiffs. Lol.. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

While true about the Phillies, that still doesn't explain the rest of the whiffs. Lol.. 

Doesn’t explain why for nearly like 12 years our farm system and intentional market player development has been bad. When was the last time the Phillies farm system legitimately good? Mid-late 2000s

not upset with a split, especially considering last night was a bullpen game. although losing 13-1 can suck a deek no matter the scenario. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Castellanos did something!

Yup was going to say the exact same thing. We need Salisbury to piss him off more. 

So, over the course of the remaining season, the trade deadline additions should contribute an extra 2-3 wins from what the team should have expected if they stood pat. They had to have figured in the addition by subtraction from DFA-milia, right?

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-padres-won-the-juan-soto-sweepstakes-will-the-world-series-follow/

Phillies Trade Deadline.png

• Like 1