Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

6 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

This was actually a nice read 

Great article. From what I gather, Boegarts, Turner or Correa will be the Phillies SS in 2023. 

I wouldn’t mind bringing Eflin or Gibson back on cheap contract (>$5m) as the 6th starter/long man. I wouldn’t trust either of them to be anything more. I still think the Phillies will need to bring in a veteran 2/3 SP. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blazehound said:

Great article. From what I gather, Boegarts, Turner or Correa will be the Phillies SS in 2023. 

I wouldn’t mind bringing Eflin or Gibson back on cheap contract (>$5m) as the 6th starter/long man. I wouldn’t trust either of them to be anything more. I still think the Phillies will need to bring in a veteran 2/3 SP. 

Do not want Correa - AT ALL.  Would be fine with either of the other two.  

8 hours ago, iladelphxx said:

FB_IMG_1659587229263.jpg

Seeing Chase in that uniform still turns my stomach

1 hour ago, Blazehound said:

I think they need a 2 or higher sometime in the next 2 years. wheeler is 33 next year so when is his decline eventually coming. Nola could leave after 2023 season. I’m guessing we’d like to keep him but he might want to test FA and capitalize on the market. This offseason you like have guys like rodon, degrom, Martin Perez (pitching well for the rangers), kershaw, clevinger, manaea (think he’s more of a 3) and bassitt. however all are over 30 besides rodon so how many years would you be getting at their prime. The 2024 FA class at the moment looks much more promising in terms of starters. If Ohtani reaches FA in 2024 I’d swing for the fences if i were the Phillies. He can pitch and hit. He’d be worth the money. Id let hoskins walk, move castellanos to first and have Ohtani DH/platoon with schwarber in LF. The ticket and merchandise sales with Harper would more than make up for how much you’d have to pay him. That’d be a write a blank check type of player 

if they go for a front line starter this offseason,  i still look and see if i could get Bieber this offseason from the Indians. He has 2 more years of arbitration left and he’s 27. 

4B55C30F-89FD-460E-8164-AA93E1BA5221.thumb.jpeg.e5411b12c8e2f68f9e7e3c4fc2fc2f94.jpeg16FF55C3-FBCC-4EA1-8E6B-D04F0486D07A.thumb.jpeg.d509256e4298adb5ed08928fa884cec2.jpeg

Just now, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Holy F David Price is 36?!  Wow.  

Also didn’t realize how old DeGrom is

10 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Yup. I felt old seeing that. Believe he was a rookie in 08 when we beat the rays. That’s going to be 15 years ago next year. Heck the eagles super bowl when this season is done was 5 seasons ago

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

This is interesting because I'm also 14 years older than I was in 2008

• Haha 1

Surprised for sure..... but if he is in the way of kids playing, then you can see the logic.

5 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

So Stott to short and segura back at 2nd?

That's what I was thinking but I haven't seen anyone report on it yet.

25 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Wow. The guy is cooked but didn’t see that coming.

Yeah I’m shocked. He was still solid defensively and gives you a pinch hit option off the bench. Then again they really didn’t have many options to clear the spot for segura. It was either didi, Munoz or send hall down. I probably would’ve went Munoz tbh. 

1 minute ago, Shepard Wong said:

That's what I was thinking but I haven't seen anyone report on it yet.

Phillies active roster on the web site has segura back. 

6A657901-622B-45A6-BB49-FE9B73EFECB2.jpeg

Didi has pretty much been total crap the past two years. BA of .210 with an OPS under .600 is very, very replaceable.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Didi has pretty much been total crap the past two years. BA of .210 with an OPS under .600 is very, very replaceable.

I agree it's the correct decision from a baseball perspective but thought the optics of cutting someone you payed about $15MM this year might keep him on the roster anyway.

10 minutes ago, Shepard Wong said:

I agree it's the correct decision from a baseball perspective but thought the optics of cutting someone you payed about $15MM this year might keep him on the roster anyway.

I’d probably gone Munoz simply cause i rather have Didi in the locker room and veteran presence. But it really doesn’t matter cause when harper returns mid august then it’s likely Munoz getting DFA. so basically didi and Munoz are gone in 2-3 weeks. I frankly keep Hall over didi and Munoz 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

I agree that Hall has earned the right to stick around 

Sure, but I still don't have much hope for him ever being more than a utility player with some power off the bench.

About time they care about winning and make the necessary decisions 

12 minutes ago, FranklinFldEBUpper said:

Sure, but I still don't have much hope for him ever being more than a utility player with some power off the bench.

And I think that’s fine. Need cheap controllable bench players. 

• Like 1