Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

What happened to Corbin? Holy crap. He still has 2 more years on his contract.

19 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

What happened to Corbin? Holy crap. He still has 2 more years on his contract.

Got paid and really just never was the same. Had a bunch of innings the 3 years before he signed and he was slightly overrated as he’s only had 4 out of 10 with an ERA under 4

6 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Got paid and really just never was the same. Had a bunch of innings the 3 years before he signed and he was slightly overrated as he’s only had 4 out of 10 with an ERA under 4

He had a really good first year with Washington but other than that, all downhill. I remember the Phillies were in on signing him but didn't want to guarantee a 6th year. It worked out for the Phillies in that regard although Corbin did win a ring so guess that's worth it. 

1 minute ago, vsptroops said:

He had a really good first year with Washington but other than that, all downhill. I remember the Phillies were in on signing him but didn't want to guarantee a 6th year. It worked out for the Phillies in that regard although Corbin did win a ring so guess that's worth it. 

Yeah we escaped that contract. Unfortunately we also signed arrieta who was basically on the decline when he came here. But at least it was only 3 years.  

Wow, that Sosa guy they traded for just made a great play.

If we can get to that Mets series next weekend on this roll then it’s going to be an incredible matchup and say a lot about where we are as compared to the Mets. The matchups are that of a potential playoff series.

game 1: Suarez vs. scherzer 

game 2: nola vs. degrom 

game 3: wheeler vs. bassitt 

• Like 1

I efen hate Knebel. I hope we never have to use him in the playoffs. Guy seems like a mental midget.

54 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

I efen hate Knebel. I hope we never have to use him in the playoffs. Guy seems like a mental midget.

It was nice being up what we were cause the entire bullpen was bad/shakey tonight besides Alvarado (and even he had some issues at the start) against the nats who aren’t a good hitting team 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vsptroops said:

I just hate that he's constantly trying to paint corners when he has a big lead instead of just throwing the ball over the plate and letting the batters make outs. It feels like he's constantly down 3-1 in the count and then forced to then throw the ball over the plate...which is what he should be doing on the first pitch.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Thanks for nothing Yankees.  Go reds and dodgers

Right? Did absolutely nothing tonight. I was hoping they take 2 of 3. Might not even win a game 

tbh i think the dodgers and mets are the two best teams in the NL with padres, Braves and Phillies behind them with a puncher’s chance. I actually think if degrom and scherzer stay healthy, it’s really hard to beat them if they hold you to 1-2 runs. Phillies have wheeler and nola that can match up but really since we have to play a 3 game series as a wild card before facing Mets or dodgers likely not getting the matchups we want. 

44 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Right? Did absolutely nothing tonight. I was hoping they take 2 of 3. Might not even win a game 

tbh i think the dodgers and mets are the two best teams in the NL with padres, Braves and Phillies behind them with a puncher’s chance. I actually think if degrom and scherzer stay healthy, it’s really hard to beat them if they hold you to 1-2 runs. Phillies have wheeler and nola that can match up but really since we have to play a 3 game series as a wild card before facing Mets or dodgers likely not getting the matchups we want. 

I just want the Phillies to make the playoffs.  I don’t see them actually wining a series, but will be cool to see what these guys can do if they get there

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, GoEagles5921 said:

I just want the Phillies to make the playoffs.  I don’t see them actually wining a series, but will be cool to see what these guys can do if they get there

I think they can win that wild card series. They are going to face the brewers or cardinals. I think the Phillies are better than both of those teams. I think the NLDS round they arent likely to win cause they’d face the dodgers or Mets. I actually think they have a better shot against the dodgers cause kershaw is hurt and his back might be an issue, gonsolin is good but the Phillies have hit urias and walker in the past. Against the Mets the Phillies have just been awful this year. We are 3-10. Scherzer in the past has owned us and degrom likely going to be fresher since he’ll be in midseason form as he just returned. 

1 hour ago, iladelphxx said:

Larry Bowa and Kruk need to be in the booth full time

Yeah. lol

Did anyone get the impression the guys may have had a few cocktails during the broadcast today?  At least some of their guests may have. lol 

• Like 2

I know it’s the nats but that was impressive. The team is fun right now 

13 minutes ago, Ace Nova said:

Yeah. lol

Did anyone get the impression the guys may have had a few cocktails during the broadcast today?  At least some of their guests may have. lol 

Sarge admitted he was lol the booth was a riot today and Kruk getting annoyed with JRoll about is vegan diet. "I can’t believe you eat that crap I thought I raised you better” I wish we could have this more all around. Just a bunch of friends talking trash and living the memories that’s what it’s all about. Definitely could tell some of them were intoxicated 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I thought today's broadcast was almost unwatchable. Thankfully it was such a blowout that I turned it off in the fourth inning.

Fing Yankees getting swept by the cardinals. 

27 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Fing Yankees getting swept by the cardinals. 

Seems like it won’t matter. Will be the brewers in the WC race not the cards

39 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Seems like it won’t matter. Will be the brewers in the WC race not the cards

I would like to just be sure and cheering for both to lose. Frankly I almost rather play the Brewers as the division winner in a wildcard series. They can’t hit for crap. They have good starting pitching but I think if you get to three or four runs the likelihood the Phillies winning that game goes up. I know we leapfrogged the padres so they might face atlanta in the wild card series. I almost rather play as the third wild card if we face the cards or brewers than facing the Braves.

Add on if you beat the Braves i think we’d face the Mets the next round. I know the Dodgers have a better record than the Mets but I actually think the Phillies match up better against the Dodgers especially if Kershaw is hurting. And I’m curious to see what gonsolin does the last two months of the year when he’s never pitched as many innings as he’s going too this year. I think the Dodgers have a better lineup than the Mets but I think the Mets rotation and how the Phillies played against the Mets this year makes me want to avoid them more than the Dodgers. I don’t wanna face either one but we are going too so if I had to choose I rather go with the Dodgers.

• Like 3

On 8/5/2022 at 1:25 PM, Blazehound said:

Phil’s also hold the tie breaker with both teams, which is nice. 

945B17B3-993F-4446-8059-E933A39EC711.gif

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not sure if an "interim" manager would qualify but he certainly deserves to be mentioned in the conversation, imo. 

Granted, the schedule prior to him taking over was much more difficult, his .660+ win% would be good enough for 1st place in almost any division (outside the NL West).  (And he's done it without the reigning NL MVP for a good portion of the time).