Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

Whelp, Thor got us a few important wins down the stretch when we were super thin. Now I think I’ve seen enough. Thanks for the contributions, good luck with your next team next year.

I don’t care what happens against Toronto. I want to see them do something against the Braves.

9 hours ago, Dave Moss said:

I don’t care what happens against Toronto. I want to see them do something against the Braves.

Well they’re 6-6 against the Braves this year so I’d say they’ve already shown they are capable of hanging with them. 

Curious to see what he does against atlanta and Toronto as they are playoff caliber teams. 

2 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Curious to see what he does against atlanta and Toronto as they are playoff caliber teams. 

If you go back a few pages there were plenty of people screaming that the guy can't hit and it was a bad trade....

Not saying he is a .300 hitter by any stretch. But still have to give him a year or so before you can really say if the guy can play.

20 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

If you go back a few pages there were plenty of people screaming that the guy can't hit and it was a bad trade....

Not saying he is a .300 hitter by any stretch. But still have to give him a year or so before you can really say if the guy can play.

Still wouldn’t have traded O’hoppe for him. Imo a catching prospect that’s raking and can hit is rare and JT isn’t getting younger. I’d have understood it more if they had a prospect or drafted someone like Susac in the draft who is likely major league ready in 1-2 years. Not trading a top catching prospect and top 100 for a fixer upper. I want a proven hitter for that level of prospect and not one i have to hope to fix him.

Also his first 20 games through September 8 he was hitting .230. He’s hot right now against the nats and marlins which has helped him. Since September 10 he’s hitting .526 (5 games). The 5 games vs. bats and marlins jumped him .070 in his average. Why i said interesting to see what he does vs  atlanta and Toronto 

He’s added two bombs since this. Perspective O’hoppe has 11 in 27 with the angels minor league double A club. Marsh in 96 games in double A had 7. 

• Haha 1

Nice at bat by schwarber. Hopefully he’s getting hot. Back to back games with HR. Up until yesterday he had 4 since the start of august. 

Of course Dominguez Fing implodes tonight. Quit Fing using him in the 8th. JFC let him have one damn role 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Is Thomson sleeping through this Fing game? After Dominguez walks the last batter get him the F out of the damn game. It’s a one run game still and he had absolutely no control. Now it’s two and you saw Dominguez was terrible. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Of course Dominguez Fing implodes tonight. Quit Fing using him in the 8th. JFC let him have one damn role 

Yeah. Idk if he’s that good. When he’s on he’s really good but he just isn’t consistent enough. 

Seems like In the huge spots he keeps coming up a bit short. Not saying he sucks, he’s definitely a good piece but idk if he’s all he’s been hyped up to be. 

6 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Yeah. Idk if he’s that good. When he’s on he’s really good but he just isn’t consistent enough. 

I look at it this way. Robertson and Dominguez are more comfortable when they have a known role.  playing games with them and not knowing their role doesn’t allow them to get into a grove or get comfortable is the same crap we did with gabe and it Fed with guys in the bullpen cause they didn’t know when they were going to be used. guys complained about it. There’s no reason to change what was working before Dominguez got hurt which was he was the de facto closer unless he couldn’t pitch that day. 

let’s add in a two run game bringing in freaking Nelson. 2 runs isn’t the end of the world. It is when Nelson implodes and gives us 3 more. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, nipples said:

Well they’re 6-6 against the Braves this year so I’d say they’ve already shown they are capable of hanging with them. 

Yeah, I don’t care about the games back in April.  The Braves have the best record in baseball the last few months.  

40 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I look at it this way. Robertson and Dominguez are more comfortable when they have a known role.  playing games with them and not knowing their role doesn’t allow them to get into a grove or get comfortable is the same crap we did with gabe and it Fed with guys in the bullpen cause they didn’t know when they were going to be used. guys complained about it. There’s no reason to change what was working before Dominguez got hurt which was he was the de facto closer unless he couldn’t pitch that day. 

let’s add in a two run game bringing in freaking Nelson. 2 runs isn’t the end of the world. It is when Nelson implodes and gives us 3 more. 

Dominguez pitched in the 8th plenty of times this season.  He just crapped the bed tonight.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dave Moss said:

Yeah, I don’t care about the games back in April.  The Braves have the best record in baseball the last few months.  

The problem right now with the Phillies is the hitting is super inconsistent. They’ve scored three or less runs in the month of September the same amount of times they’ve gone over. Also, Brandon marsh over his last five games is batting 526. I don’t give a crap if Nolan Ryan is on the Fing mound. You have to start him when he’s that hot. we did the same thing with stott a couple games back, and fortunately sosa stepped up, but stott had been hitting .304 vs. lefties for 4 month. Forget this BS lefty vs right matchup. Play your Fing best players. There’s 18 games left. 

also, I hated when Gabe Kapler was here and we didn’t do well with all the bullpen guys and the rules. Have them have a Central at the end of the year. I want Robertson being the eighth inning guy and I want Dominguez being the 9th so they can get comfortable in those roles and just know when they are going to pitch. This whole BS we’re gonna match where they are in the lineup tends to cause more issues and guys ****ed about it with gave.  the Braves lineup is good throughout so I didn’t make a difference whether you came out of the eighth or 9th. You’re facing a good Fing lineup throughout. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Dominguez pitched in the 8th plenty of times this season.  He just crapped the bed tonight.

Before he got hurt after they acquired Robertson they basically moved him to the closer role and Robertson to the 8th. He was rolling at that point til the injury. Furthermore, the Braves lineup is so good. It doesn’t matter whether or not you bring them out for the eighth or you bring them out for the 9th to try matchups with that lineup. That lineup one through nine with albies back is explosive anyways. So you’re not really helping Robertson cause if dominguez gets a 1-2-3 inning, Robertson is facing Riley, Olson and d’arnaud.

Don’t get me wrong. Dominguez was got awful tonight. The fact is he should’ve been removed from that game as soon as he walked the better with two outs. It’s still a one run game at that point. You bringing Robertson and if he can gets the out it’s only 3 to 2 and we still have a chance to win. Instead, I don’t know what the F Thomson is watching. Dominguez was horrible From the first batter. then he brings a Nelson like that’s gonna solve the Fing issue.   

Brewers down 5-0 come back to walk off the yankees to win 7-6. Down to 3 games over the brewers and 1.5 over the padres. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I still think the Phillies will make the playoffs, but I think it's clear that the Phillies will just get a playoff participation award.  Every team other than the Padres is better than them.

27 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Brewers down 5-0 come back to walk off the yankees to win 7-6. Down to 3 games over the brewers and 1.5 over the padres. 

The Phillies aren’t making it.  It’s obvious 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

The Phillies aren’t making it.  It’s obvious 

They really need nola to step up and have an ace like performance. Really not holding my breath on that one as nola has had some clunkers in September in the past. Plus he has had 3 starts against the Braves. First one he was dominant. The next two he gave up 4ER in 7 and 5ER in 6.