Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

7 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

They really need nola to step up and have an ace like performance. Really not holding my breath on that one as nola has had some clunkers in September in the past. Plus he has had 3 starts against the Braves. First one he was dominant. The next two he gave up 4ER in 7 and 5ER in 6. 

It’s over.  Everyone knows it

12 hours ago, xzmattzx said:

I still think the Phillies will make the playoffs, but I think it's clear that the Phillies will just get a playoff participation award.  Every team other than the Padres is better than them.

I think the odds are in their favor but if the Phillies pull what they did on the Az and SF road trip the next 8 games vs. Braves and blue jays i think there’s a chance they could miss. Brewers schedule of Yankees and Mets looked harder a couple weeks back. But the Yankees are playing poorly right now and the Mets are also playing pretty mediocre. There’s a chance vs. the Mets they avoid degrom, bassitt and scherzer. If the brewers get out of these two series 4-2, their schedule really opens up outside of 4 games with St. Louis who might clinch by the time they face them for the last 2. The Phillies would really help themselves if they could just go 4-4 over the next 8. 

3 hours ago, greenskeeper said:

Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?

There is a better chance of that happening than the Phillies making it  past the first round

If they set this up better could’ve had wheeler on Tuesday and then had him pitch last game vs. Braves. 

About to be 2 games by the end of the night as apparently we can’t hit the Braves worse starter and nola struggling in the 3rd. 

5 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

About to be 2 games by the end of the night as apparently we can’t hit the Braves worse starter and nola struggling in the 3rd. 

Personally I’m shocked 

Absolutely can’t wait until Hoskins and Nola are gone.  Need another top starter.  Would love Trea Turner.  But until some of these losing players are gone this team is going nowhere.

Just now, GoEagles5921 said:

Absolutely can’t wait until Hoskins and Nola are gone.  Need another top starter.  Would love Trea Turner.  But until some of these losing players are gone this team is going nowhere.

I said that at the deadline they should be trying to get another Ace or Frontline starter. I preferred that over a Soto trade. They need another top end of the rotation guy. First, nola is a free agent at the end of next year and really in September for much of his career he hasn’t been that great. So I don’t know how you trust him going in the postseason if we make it. Just assuming he’s as could be as good as he was the first five months when the last month of the season he’s tended to struggle. Add on Wheeler’s not getting any younger. So you needed another guy when you look around the league almost every other rotation that’s World Series champion contenders has three legitimate guys at the top of the rotation. 

Just now, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I said that at the deadline they should be trying to get another Ace or Frontline starter. I preferred that over a Soto trade. They need another top end of the rotation guy. First, nola is a free agent at the end of next year and really in September for much of his career he hasn’t been that great. So I don’t know how you trust him going in the postseason if we make it. Just assuming he’s as could be as good as he was the first five months when the last month of the season he’s tended to struggle. Add on Wheeler’s not getting any younger. So you needed another guy when you look around the league almost every other rotation that’s World Series champion contenders has three legitimate guys at the top of the rotation. 

Yup…that’s the biggest thing they need for sure 

2 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Yup…that’s the biggest thing they need for sure 

After that they need some bullpen arms and a 5th starter with gibson and thor FA. I’d frankly use painter if he’s ready. Kids been dominant in the minors at every level. 

second base I’d probably just bring segura back on his option. In 2024 when hoskins and segura come off the books try to get a big time hitter 

What’s so freaking irritating is odorizzi has been so damn pedestrian since joining the Braves. yet the Phillies still can’t hit him worth crap. Harper 0 for the series. Realmuto is 0 for the series. Both of these guys had the same issue at the end of last year in a big time series vs. the Braves. So far this series schwarber, harper and realmuto are a combined 1-18

7 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Time for Harper to step up, bases loaded

Lol

16 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

What’s so freaking irritating is odorizzi has been so damn pedestrian since joining the Braves. yet the Phillies still can’t hit him worth crap. Harper 0 for the series. Realmuto is 0 for the series. Both of these guys had the same issue at the end of last year in a big time series vs. the Braves. So far this series schwarber, harper and realmuto are a combined 1-18

Chokers…that’s all they are.  Nobody has been able to step up when needed most the last couple years in September.  No different this year.

4 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

Lol

Well it was a good play by Acuna

Matt vierling the Phillies best hitter with RISP. 2 RBIs this series. Rest of the team 2 RBIs. Yay offense!

new pitcher comes in and we swing at the first two pitches for outs

Update: schwarber, harper and realmuto are a combined 2-22 on the series. 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Matt vierling the Phillies best hitter with RISP. 2 RBIs this series. Rest of the team 2 RBIs. Yay offense!

new pitcher comes in and we swing at the first two pitches for outs

Update: schwarber, harper and realmuto are a combined 2-22 on the series. 

They don’t have anybody that can step up.  Not even sure how that gets fixed.  These guys have some kind of a mental block when it gets to this time of year and they can’t get past it.

26 minutes ago, GoEagles5921 said:

They don’t have anybody that can step up.  Not even sure how that gets fixed.  These guys have some kind of a mental block when it gets to this time of year and they can’t get past it.

Tbh they aren’t close to as good as the dodgers, Mets, Braves and likely cardinals or padres. We have like 5 homegrown talents that are big contributors in nola, hoskins, stott, bohm and dominguez. Frankly stott, dominguez and bohm have chances to be good players. But we really don’t have the depth in our rotation like  the Braves do or the factory of prospects they keep churning out. I look at atlanta they have young guys that can be stars and some that have superstar potential. The Mets have 3 legit top of the line starters and a lights out bullpen. I feel the Phillies have some good players like wheeler, schwarber annd realmuto with harper. They might be able to make a significant jump to actual contender if painter, Abel and mcgarry all hit. We should be fortunate if one does tbh. 

18 minutes ago, Dave Moss said:

Tough loss.  Gotta get one back tomorrow.

As good as falter has been for us lately, it feels like he’s due for a clunker here and he really hasn’t faced a lineup like the Braves in this stretch. Also facing strider tomorrow so there’s that too. The most winnable game on paper we had was tonight considering the pitching matchups. 

7 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

As good as falter has been for us lately, it feels like he’s due for a clunker here and he really hasn’t faced a lineup like the Braves in this stretch. Also facing strider tomorrow so there’s that too. The most winnable game on paper we had was tonight considering the pitching matchups. 

Sweep coming.  These losers are so predictable.   Brewers will pass them at some point this week