Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Get our Trophy Back

Captain F

Why do they want to cut the player's salaries beyond cutting their pay in half?  Less stadium revenue?

5 hours ago, mr_hunt said:

"No, I'm not splitting no revenue," Tampa Bay Rays ace Blake Snell told fans during a Twitch stream Wednesday.

"'Play for the love of the game, man,'" Snell said, mimicking fans' response to players who refuse to play during the pandemic. "'What's wrong with you, bro? Money should not be a thing.' Bro, I'm risking my life. What do you mean it should not be a thing?"

"If I'm going to play, I should be getting money I signed to be getting paid," Snell continued. "I should not be getting half of what of I'm getting paid because the season is cut in half on top of a 33% cut of the half that's already there. So, I'm really getting, like, 25%. On top of that, it's getting taxed. So, imagine how much I'm actually making to play. ... And now I play risking my life."

The 2018 American League Cy Young winner didn't seem optimistic about the league and union striking an agreement and a 2020 season getting played, either.

"In my head, I'm preparing for next season. ... I love baseball to death, (but) it's just not worth it."

These quotes show that athletes live in an alternate universe.  This is honestly disgusting.  "I'm risking my life."  STFU.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Moss said:

Why do they want to cut the player's salaries beyond cutting their pay in half?  Less stadium revenue?

I think that’s part of the reason.  No ticket sales, parking, food, merchandise, etc.  I don’t know what cut would be fair, though.

One thing that I’ve seen a few players say is that they’re already taking a pay cut to come back (getting paid half of their salary for playing half of the games), so they don’t want to take another pay cut.  I hate that argument since getting paid half for playing half of the season makes sense and doesn’t make the players seem like their making a sacrifice already.  I do wonder if the owners are going to be paying all of the other staff/workers (food vendors, ticket takers, stadium staff, and so on) if they’re playing in empty stadiums.  If so, I’d argue that a portion of the players pay could be reduced to help pay them, with the owners paying more of a cut for them.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, RPeeteRules said:

I think that’s part of the reason.  No ticket sales, parking, food, merchandise, etc.  I don’t know what cut would be fair, though.

One thing that I’ve seen a few players say is that they’re already taking a pay cut to come back (getting paid half of their salary for playing half of the games), so they don’t want to take another pay cut.  I hate that argument since getting paid half for playing half of the season makes sense and doesn’t make the players seem like their making a sacrifice already.  I do wonder if the owners are going to be paying all of the other staff/workers (food vendors, ticket takers, stadium staff, and so on) if they’re playing in empty stadiums.  If so, I’d argue that a portion of the players pay could be reduced to help pay them, with the owners paying more of a cut for them.

I hope it gets worked out, but I’m on the players side in this argument.  They play half the games, they should get half of their pay for 2020.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dave Moss said:

I hope it gets worked out, but I’m on the players side in this argument.  They play half the games, they should get half of their pay for 2020.

I agree.  I was just thinking about this more and think part of the reason some may view the players unfavorably is because they are out there taking about this.  I don’t think you’re hearing the owners talking about this, so fans really are out there debating the players and can’t really speak to the owners.  It’s a no win situation for the players, but hopefully they find a way.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, hputenis said:

These quotes show that athletes live in an alternate universe.  This is honestly disgusting.  "I'm risking my life."  STFU.  

I was going to say the same thing. What an arse. Stay home then you ****. Wouldn't want you to risk your life to throw a ball around. 

• Like 1

If my job told me to come back and get paid half my yearly salary and then said they were paying me less than that as well, to work and travel during a pandemic, I'd probably also say no thanks.

2 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Uh no fans.  Half the season.  It's pretty obvious, isn't it?

What’s obvious is that they want to pay the players a lot less money while the players take on all the risk.  Honestly, not sure how I feel about it.

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Oh boo f-ing hoo.  Then they don't get paid.  You act like these guys are on the front line.  Or are overseas in a war.  JFC

Speaking of dumb comparisons...

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

Did I make that comparison?  No.  I mocked people like who are dramatizing the "risks" they are taking.  

🙄

56 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

This is a pretty dumb comparison.  And always is when people try to compare their situation with millionaire ballplayers.  But I'll play along.

If my company stopped doing business.  For 3-4 months.  Then called and told me they will start back up and wants me to come back.  But the only issue is they would only pay me for when I actually worked instead of paying me for when I wasn't working?  Yeah, how dare they?

:wacko:

You forgot the additional paycut on top of only being paid for the part when theyre open.

They arent taking a pay cut. That would be if they played a full schedule and only got paid 50%.  No. They are playing 50% of the games, so in turn getting 50% of their salary. Fair enough. They are getting 100% of the money they will EARN. 

The actual cut is what they are being asked to give up due to no fans/concessions/parking/etc.... Thats a big grey area.  It seems obvious that less money in = less money out. But obviously the players dont see it that way. Should they?  Probably since its kind of common sense, but they dont.

I do not expect to see baseball this year. And tbh, I dont know if we will see it next year either. And if we do, there could be a lot of big name holdouts. 

5 hours ago, BirdsFanBill said:

If my job told me to come back and get paid half my yearly salary and then said they were paying me less than that as well, to work and travel during a pandemic, I'd probably also say no thanks.

Comparing apples to oranges

1 minute ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

Comparing apples to oranges

Agreed. Although what if I was an MLB player posting on here? None of you actually know my occupation. 

Anyway, just saying I get where the guy is coming from. Id probably be inclined to say no thanks to all this Ill see you all next year.

45 minutes ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Agreed. Although what if I was an MLB player posting on here? None of you actually know my occupation. 

I was guessing professional figure skater.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BirdsFanBill said:

Anyway, just saying I get where the guy is coming from. Id probably be inclined to say no thanks to all this Ill see you all next year.

They are only in the position to take a year off from work because they are so grossly overpaid.  The ish will really hit the fan if the season starts and players refuse to show up. Will teams start fining them? 

5 minutes ago, What The F said:

They are only in the position to take a year off from work because they are so grossly overpaid.  The ish will really hit the fan if the season starts and players refuse to show up. Will teams start fining them? 

NO, they just won't get paid, I guarantee when the season starts everyone will be there unless injured, all this crap from some players about the health issues and being concerned will go right out the window when a financial agreement is made with the league. It is all posturing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, What The F said:

They arent taking a pay cut. That would be if they played a full schedule and only got paid 50%.  No. They are playing 50% of the games, so in turn getting 50% of their salary. Fair enough. They are getting 100% of the money they will EARN. 

The actual cut is what they are being asked to give up due to no fans/concessions/parking/etc.... Thats a big grey area.  It seems obvious that less money in = less money out. But obviously the players dont see it that way. Should they?  Probably since its kind of common sense, but they dont.

I do not expect to see baseball this year. And tbh, I dont know if we will see it next year either. And if we do, there could be a lot of big name holdouts. 

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that MLB goes 2 straight years shut down. No way. If you're gonna say that they should wait for a vaccine, good luck. Did they have a vaccine for H1N1 or SARS? Plus, according to the CDC, the flu vaccine is only 45% anyway so what do you think a vaccine for Covid-19 will be?

22 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

There isn't a snowballs chance in hell that MLB goes 2 straight years shut down. No way. If you're gonna say that they should wait for a vaccine, good luck. Did they have a vaccine for H1N1 or SARS? Plus, according to the CDC, the flu vaccine is only 45% anyway so what do you think a vaccine for Covid-19 will be?

There are actually people that think the NFl will shut down for 2 years :roll:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

There are actually people that think the NFl will shut down for 2 years :roll:

Sad isnt it? Look, I'm not gonna give my opinion on Covid19 but if anyone thinks that pro sports will be shut down for 2 years, they are delirious and living in fantasy land. The NFL will have games this fall. Whether that means having fans in attendance remains to be seen but these games will be played. By 2021, all of the league's will be back to either normal or somewhat normal.

Phillies still undefeated this season.  :groovy:

20 hours ago, Mlodj said:

Phillies still undefeated this season.  :groovy:

They seem to win every game I’ve seen on NBC Sports Philly.  They just had a perfect game even!

Why do they only show stupid games from the last few years, how about some real classic games

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Joe Hunter 73 said:

Why do they only show stupid games from the last few years, how about some real classic games

So true.  I turn it on and it’s some random mid-June game vs the Braves or something like that.  I try to figure out the significance until realizing it’s just a random game.

39 minutes ago, RPeeteRules said:

So true.  I turn it on and it’s some random mid-June game vs the Braves or something like that.  I try to figure out the significance until realizing it’s just a random game.

The description on the TV gives no info on the meaning, only way I know is an alert from the myteams app which says what it is, last night I think was a Galvis walkoff :rolleyes:

Rob ellis is talking about this now and how these so called classic games are ridiculous

I Don't remember where I saw this but a few weeks ago someone from NBCSP said they don't show older games because people want higher quality games, I think he means Picture quality, which is silly!!

• Like 1