Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Get our Trophy Back

Captain F

4 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

I predict before the sun goes Supernova the Phillies will win another World Series

That depends. If the sun is pitching for the Phillies, it'll definitely get blown up in short order.

4 hours ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I’m loving this small ball stuff.  Stealing bases, moving runners, bunting and speed!!!!   

Is it still too early to get excited over Maton and Williams?

Well, Dom Brown just got cut from a Mexican league team last year, so I would say, Yes. These guys could be great or they could be Jake Taylor's next teammate, and I don't mean in Cleveland.

On 6/27/2021 at 1:33 PM, TV Guy said:

Twenty blown saves. Convert half of them and the Phils have a 4 game lead on the division. Garbage bullpen. Gee who expected that? Oh, everybody.

21 :roll:

• Like 1

Ah the marlins are in town so we probably get swept even though we should destroy them 

I remember not long ago when the phillies had a multi year streak of sellouts - now they can’t even give tickets away lol

Congrats we finally beat the marlins #nleastbeasts

Perfect conditions for Nola, home game and hot out

10 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Perfect conditions for Nola, home game and hot out

So giving up 5 in 5.1?

27 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

So giving up 5 in 5.1?

Shutout through 8

13 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Shutout through 8

spacer.png

59 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

spacer.png

Ok ,maybe 1 run through 8 :whistle:

Nola is not good. 

Harper:  13 HRs, only 23 RBIs.

This organization is destined for continued mediocrity for the unforeseeable future. 

There were some football scores being put up tonight. 

Nats 15 - Rays 6

Braves 20 - Mets 2

The Brewers also scored 15. 

1 hour ago, Green_Guinness said:

Nola is not good. 

Harper:  13 HRs, only 23 RBIs.

This organization is destined for continued mediocrity for the unforeseeable future. 

Yup I’d actually trade nola depending on the prospects we got back. Frankly i think some team would overpay for him thinking he can be an ace or no. 2. He really hasn’t been consistently good in over a year. He has moments and games here and there but his road/home splits are eye popping and really I’d sell if we got some good prospects back 

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Yup I’d actually trade nola depending on the prospects we got back. Frankly i think some team would overpay for him thinking he can be an ace or no. 2. He really hasn’t been consistently good in over a year. He has moments and games here and there but his road/home splits are eye popping and really I’d sell if we got some good prospects back 

Is there anyone that should not be traded? Time to restart

2 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Is there anyone that should not be traded? Time to restart

I’d say wheeler but really by the time you rebuild and get good again he’ll probably be on the decline. Could basically trade everyone and start completely over. However i wouldn’t have dombrowski as the GM doing that. That’s not what he does best. Need a GM and scours that know how to scout and then coaches in the minors to cultivate the talent. 

4 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’d say wheeler but really by the time you rebuild and get good again he’ll probably be on the decline. Could basically trade everyone and start completely over. However i wouldn’t have dombrowski as the GM doing that. That’s not what he does best. Need a GM and scours that know how to scout and then coaches in the minors to cultivate the talent. 

Haven't we been saying this for 100 years?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

Haven't we been saying this for 100 years?

I don’t know why they don’t provide the head of scouting of Tampa Bay or Miami with a blank check to work for the Phillies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Blazehound said:

I don’t know why they don’t provide the head of scouting of Tampa Bay or Miami with a blank check to work for the Phillies.

Or how about Atlanta?   I mean go look back...the Phillies and Atlanta were both in the exact same spot a couple years ago.....Atlanta drafts and rebuilds, the Philles draft and suck.  Now that being said, Atlanta still hasn't won jack....but at least they seem to be able to draft.  So yes, go to the teams with the f'ing strongest farm systems and drafts, get the person in charge of it and make them GM.

39 minutes ago, NYEagle said:

Or how about Atlanta?   I mean go look back...the Phillies and Atlanta were both in the exact same spot a couple years ago.....Atlanta drafts and rebuilds, the Philles draft and suck.  Now that being said, Atlanta still hasn't won jack....but at least they seem to be able to draft.  So yes, go to the teams with the f'ing strongest farm systems and drafts, get the person in charge of it and make them GM.

Klentak and mcphail did an awful job of drafting and player development. Their best everyday player out of this whole thing might be bohm who really hasn’t shown to be all that great this year. Hopefully that changes but really it isn’t just drafting it’s also player development coming up through the organization. The Phillies have a major issue there and could use a complete overhaul from top to bottom. I feel for dombrowski cause he took over a team with a crap farm system so his hands are tied in what he really does best. It’s not on Dom but the Phillies made the wrong hire by misreading how close this team actually was to being a contender. they really needed someone who was great at building the farm system. That’s not Don’s strength. 

I don't know how you guys watch this team. It is just painful.

There are 2 main issues with tearing it down, trading away anything with value and going full rebuild. To be clear, that is what they should do anyway, but these are 2 issues to consider.

1. Dombrowski is the wrong guy -- @e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! has mainly covered this. Dom isn't a bad GM, but he's not a tear down, rebuild and draft guy. He's the guy who trades prospects for the missing pieces to put a team over the top. I know the easy answer is to fire him and bring in someone new, but you JUST hired the guy. Firing a guy after one year because he couldn't fix your dumpster fire...good luck attracting a top GM candidate to replace him.

2. Harper -- You gave Bryce a no-trade clause in a 13 year deal that has 10 more years to go after this. Even if you could get real value for him, and he was willing to waive the no-trade clause, it's a black eye for when you try and attract free agents down the road. Three years in and you tank the whole thing. 

The issue here is the Phillies have spent a decade thinking they were close to contending again. They haven't been. But their recent moves pretty much lock them into this insanity.

• Like 2