Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

This team can't even lose when they should, they need to be sellers

Curious to see who the Phillies draft at 13. Lots of buzz around Benny Montgomery the HS outfielder from PA 

Just went to the Rockies at 8. Mets just got rocker. That blows 

14 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Curious to see who the Phillies draft at 13. Lots of buzz around Benny Montgomery the HS outfielder from PA 

Just went to the Rockies at 8. Rocker, watson and house all on the board right now so that’s good for the Phillies 

There's 2 Ps from the South Jersey area who are ranked in the top 30 according the MLB.com site.

#17 ranked Anthony Solometo from Bishop Eustace HS in Camden County, a 6'5" 218lb LHP with a funky delivery and very good control.

#27 ranked Chase Petty from Mainland Regional HS in Atlantic County, a 6'2" 190lb RHP who has hit triple digits and routinely throws in the mid/upper 90s.

16 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

There's 2 Ps from the South Jersey area who are ranked in the top 30 according the MLB.com site.

#17 ranked Anthony Solometo from Bishop Eustace HS in Camden County, a 6'5" 218lb LHP with a funky delivery and very good control.

#27 ranked Chase Petty from Mainland Regional HS in Atlantic County, a 6'2" 190lb RHP who has hit triple digits and routinely throws in the mid/upper 90s.

2 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

6'6" 215lb, 93-95 MPH fastball, has an 'advanced' game plan on the mound, has 4 effective pitches and still developing a change up to go with them.

6 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

6'6" 215lb, 93-95 MPH fastball, has an 'advanced' game plan on the mound, has 4 effective pitches and still developing a change up to go with them.

I’m kind of surprised with watson on the board they didn’t go that route. Entering the day he was in consideration for the top pick and most had him as a top 5 based off what i read. However he is a SS. Frankly I’d just moved him or stott to second. Could’ve potentially had your middle infield for a decade. I like painter just dislike the Phillies developing pitches seemed to not do that well. 

3 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’m kind of surprised with watson on the board they didn’t go that route. Entering the day he was in consideration for the top pick and most had him as a top 5 based off what i read. However he is a SS. Frankly I’d just moved him or stott to second. Could’ve potentially had your middle infield for a decade. I like painter just dislike the Phillies developing pitches seemed to not do that well. 

True, their development of Ps especially sucks.

• Like 1

Nothing not to like about his talent.  The issue is that the Phillies can’t develop pitchers or hitters.

So anyone from the HS ranks just has such a low chance of success in this organization.  

The college kids are more like those pre-made meals.  The less impact our organization has on their development, the better.

• Like 1

In fairness, the Phillies have an entirely different Scouting and Player Development staff now.... Dombrowski overhauled the pitching development staff, in particular. 

https://theathletic.com/2562743/2021/05/03/phillies-replaced-minors-pitching-director-in-march-and-promoted-driveline-based-coach-in-development-shakeup/

8 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

In fairness, the Phillies have an entirely different Scouting and Player Development staff now.... Dombrowski overhauled the pitching development staff, in particular. 

https://theathletic.com/2562743/2021/05/03/phillies-replaced-minors-pitching-director-in-march-and-promoted-driveline-based-coach-in-development-shakeup/

I’ll believe it when i see it. The Phillies routinely have had bleh development of pitchers from the end of gillick’s tenure to amaro to klentak. For gillick he actually had some highly touted pitching prospects in the farm system he left behind but guys like drabek, cosart and Knapp never panned out after we traded them. Actually looked back at the 05-08 drafts when gillick was here they were pretty meh 

• Like 1

I think it’s fair to say the kid has talent. He was ranked the no. 1 prep arm coming into the season. As always, it’s a matter how their farm system develops that talent.

I’m sure they’ll screw it up in the development stage and didn’t find the right prospects either, but it does seem that the Phillies kind of had a fun draft.  Some interesting prospects.

14 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’ll believe it when i see it. The Phillies routinely have had bleh development of pitchers from the end of gillick’s tenure to amaro to klentak. For gillick he actually had some highly touted pitching prospects in the farm system he left behind but guys like drabek, cosart and Knapp never panned out after we traded them. Actually looked back at the 05-08 drafts when gillick was here they were pretty meh 

Never thought I'd miss Wade.

1 hour ago, Diehardfan said:

Never thought I'd miss Wade.

in Philly and Houston wade managed to draft pretty well and then get fired right before both of those franchise had major success. 

• Like 3

It was Mike Arbuckle....... They should have given him the job over Amaro 

35 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

I fully expect the phillies to do what they always do. After the deadline going into a slump. I do not trust this team’s bullpen nor the starters really besides eflin and wheeler 

54 minutes ago, iladelphxx said:

Yeah, because that worked out so well for the Eagles.  Weak ass division and even though we suck, hey, let's try and win it and dig ourselves a bigger hole to climb out of.  Stupid Phillies not learning from the mistakes of the team across the street.

So with the MLB 2021 draft concluded we have the Phillies using 13 out of their 20 picks to draft Ps, including 7 of their first 11 picks.  Their other 7 picks were 6 OFs and 1 3B.  So nothing but Ps and OFs this draft with the lone exception.  Interesting philosophy by the organization. 

Phillies win the first of a DH to go 1 game over .500 and remain in 2nd place and then to start the 2nd game Eflin gives up a 2-run HR in the 1st to continue his downward slide.