Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. New Year. Same BS.

Captain F

1 hour ago, Green_Guinness said:

Phillies win the first of a DH to go 1 game over .500 and remain in 2nd place and then to start the 2nd game Eflin gives up a 2-run HR in the 1st to continue his downward slide. 

I actually thought Eflin was going to turn into a dependable #3 in the rotation the way he started the year. Not anymore. I will be happy when I don't have to watch him and Velasquez pitch anymore. 

4 hours ago, vsptroops said:

I actually thought Eflin was going to turn into a dependable #3 in the rotation the way he started the year. Not anymore. I will be happy when I don't have to watch him and Velasquez pitch anymore. 

Eflin is fine imo if he’s a 4th starter. He stays around a 4 ERA and tends to eat innings. The bigger issue the Phillies are so horrific against the freaking god awful marlins every year. I swear every year it’s the same against the marlins. If this team just handled their business against them they’d actually have a chance at the playoffs 

11 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Eflin is fine imo if he’s a 4th starter. He stays around a 4 ERA and tends to eat innings. The bigger issue the Phillies are so horrific against the freaking god awful marlins every year. I swear every year it’s the same against the marlins. If this team just handled their business against them they’d actually have a chance at the playoffs 

The Marlins lead the series this season, 6-5.  So not as bad as previous seasons where it seems like we were losing 2/3 of the games to them.

5 minutes ago, Green_Guinness said:

The Marlins lead the series this season, 6-5.  So not as bad as previous seasons where it seems like we were losing 2/3 of the games to them.

True however it shouldn’t be 6-5 to begin with. It should be 7-4 or 8-3 Phillies. The fact we continuously have an issue with the Marlins is just pathetic 

And the Suarez blows the save giving up a 2 run bomb 

A typical Phillies game tonight.  Score 2 runs in the 1st inning, but don't add on any more while your Ps put out a very good few and far between effort only to have your closer blow the save.  Guess it doesn't matter who the closer is and the position is cursed.  Still, the O should have put a couple more runs on the board over 7 innings before getting to the 9th.

I wonder what Chicago would want for Kimbrel.  This team needs a legit closer. I like Ranger Suarez but I would like him better as an 8th inning guy- a Ryan Madson role. Is it just me or does Jesus Aguilar seem to kill the Phillies in late innings? If there was a guy on base, I would just walk him and pitch to the next batter. 

22 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

I wonder what Chicago would want for Kimbrel.  This team needs a legit closer. I like Ranger Suarez but I would like him better as an 8th inning guy- a Ryan Madson role. Is it just me or does Jesus Aguilar seem to kill the Phillies in late innings? If there was a guy on base, I would just walk him and pitch to the next batter. 

He always does. I’m curious to see what his RBI percentage is this year against us in terms of his overall total 

• Like 1

So they win the suspended game thanks to a walk-off HR from Realmuto.  Back to being 1 game over .500 and tied the season series with the Fish at 6-6.

Now they're facing a young P making only his 3rd start of the season and with an ERA of 5.56.  Over/under on his stats this game:  5 IP, 1.5 R, 3.5 H. 

15 minutes ago, John Blutarski said:

Schmidt is unbearable

Yeah he is not very good

Wow the Phillies are lucky the wind wasn’t blowing out during Alfaro’s at bat. That ball is likely gone if it was 

The Phillies using neris as the closer today after the closer spot is still an issue is basically this 

image.gif.a1e60993cfe46e359f17b783606ab42b.gif

• Like 1

This was the first Phillies game I watched all year and they won! They look great to me I don't know what you guys are complaining about 😁

3 minutes ago, Bwestbrook36 said:

This was the first Phillies game I watched all year and they won! They look great to me I don't know what you guys are complaining about 😁

lucy-football.jpg

• Haha 5

Next 10 games really should dictate what they are going to do at the deadline. Got 2 at Yankees. 4 vs. Braves. 4 vs. nats. After that finally 3 at pirates. Mets play 3 at cincy, 3 vs. Toronto and 5 vs Braves. Imo if the Phillies are going to actually make a move they probably have to go at least 6-4 in that stretch. If the Phillies somehow lose ground during this stretch they really should be sellers not buyers.

also saw heyman reporting the Phillies would be at top of the market if the twins deal buxton. He’s fit in the city as he tends to be hurt 

The Phillies are 13-7 in their last 20 games.

Only the Brewers and Dodgers have a better record (14-6) in all of baseball. 

Imagine if they had a closer?

• Like 1

Trade for German Marquez. The Rockies suck and he’s been great the last two months 

2 minutes ago, Blazehound said:

Bats silent again. Shocker.

Road nola also with a good effort. 5.1IP and potentially 5ER

this team really shouldn’t be buyers but this division sucks so it allows for it 

3 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

I have waited long enough.  Harper is now in my crosshairs.  He’s getting on base.  But, he was not brought in to hit singles.  He was brought in to drive in runs and hit the ball over the fence.  He’s just not that guy anymore.  I know a lot other people have been saying the same for a while.  I’ve been very patient.  But now, not the guy we hoped he would be.  We’ve all been waiting for him to go on a tear and it just isn’t there.  

His RBI total is a joke even with missing 20 games.  You look at guys around the league with 70+ RBIs and then see Harper with only 34.  LOL

My theory of if you get bases loaded 1 out or less and fail to score came to play. Usually when that happens a the other team scores a run the next half inning like 75% of the time. 

6 minutes ago, 4for4EaglesNest said:

My theory is when you strikeout a lot you're not going to get benefit of the doubt on that pitch that Dope Hoskins looked at.   Also when the ball is on the outside part of the plate, you don’t try to pull it.  Especially a 95+ mph fastball.   But that’s just me.  

Again. Hoskins continues to be one of the dumbest players on a dumb team.  

Besides wheeler, realmuto and segura (when healthy) this team in general is really just not very good or vastly overrated. They are only competing in the division because the division is bad. I also think if the Mets actually had syndergaard healthy it really might not even be this close. I feel this team is just a .500 type ball club and they really don’t have an upward trajectory with how their farm system currently looks. 

This should be a great start for Spencer howard.... he doesn’t have to bat since there’s a DH so he shouldn’t get tired running bases by the 4th inning. 

• Haha 1