Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread - 2024. Get our Trophy Back

Captain F

Spencer howard looks good so far today but he really hasn’t had to run yet today 

i think i jinxed him 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Spencer howard looks good so far today but he really hasn’t had to run yet today 

i think i jinxed him 

Jinx :furious:

14 minutes ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Jinx :furious:

Not all heroes wear capes 

24 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Not all heroes wear capes 

They don't wear Phillies jerseys either

• Haha 2

This game following a familiar pattern

1 hour ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

i think i jinxed him 

Did they take him out early today because of his pitch count?  Or did his heart rate escalate from vigorously chewing sunflower seeds in the dugout?  

1 minute ago, hputenis said:

Did they take him out early today because of his pitch count?  Or did his heart rate escalate from vigorously chewing sunflower seeds in the dugout?  

The inning after he hit he imploded again

• Like 2

Imagine being a professional athlete in any sport and admitting to being winded after running 90 feet 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Imagine being a professional athlete in any sport and admitting to being winded after running 90 feet 

It's one of the most ridiculous things I've ever heard.  I can't decide what's worse - the fact that it's most likely true, or the fact that he actually said it out loud.  Hey Spence, I think it's time to watch more self help videos from Dwight:

Would An Idiot Do That GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

In fairness I’d be winded after like 30 feet 

this may be an unpopular question but do you think this team needs a major shakeup with the player leadership?  just seems like the culture of this clubhouse is a major problem. i mean the one time we got rid of scott rollen this team took of. nola and harper might be the problem here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, toughfighter83 said:

this may be an unpopular question but do you think this team needs a major shakeup with the player leadership?  just seems like the culture of this clubhouse is a major problem. i mean the one time we got rid of scott rollen this team took of. nola and harper might be the problem here.

I feel this organization has done a horrible job during the rebuilding years after 2011 of drafting and developing. They really don’t have great players for how bad they were during that era. In the 10 years from 2011 playoffs til now the best Phillies we’ve produce that are homegrown are hoskins, bohm, nola. That tells you everything you need to now 

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, toughfighter83 said:

this team needs a major shakeup

Yes

• Like 1

12 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I feel this organization has done a horrible job during the rebuilding years after 2011 of drafting and developing. They really don’t have great players for how bad they were during that era. In the 10 years from 2011 playoffs til now the best Phillies we’ve produce that are homegrown are hoskins, bohm, nola. That tells you everything you need to now 

ok like what should they do better at when it comes to drafting? in my opinion, i think mcfail's failed strategy was always buying bats instead of pitchers which is the reason the 08 team was so good, gillick was buying pitchers and developing hitters.

right now i think that's the reason why our bullpen is so bad because we dont have good enough starting pitchers to take the pressure off the bullpen.

1 hour ago, toughfighter83 said:

ok like what should they do better at when it comes to drafting? in my opinion, i think mcfail's failed strategy was always buying bats instead of pitchers which is the reason the 08 team was so good, gillick was buying pitchers and developing hitters.

right now i think that's the reason why our bullpen is so bad because we dont have good enough starting pitchers to take the pressure off the bullpen.

Disagree with your second paragraph eflin, wheeler and even velasquez have been good. Velasquez has a era below 3. Wheeler is below 2.5. Eflin has gone 6 or more innings in every start. And nola hasn’t been great but he’s been ok. Their starting pitching has actually been fine since velasquez has actually been good so far this year. The bullpen stinks because for years they didn’t draft power pitching and had a bunch of soft tossing pitchers and the power arms they did draft they didn’t do a good job of developing. they basically have a bullpen of guys they have thrown together from other teams that have really been hit or miss every year. The only ones in the pen that have come up through the system that has success is neris and brogdon. 

mcfail and kelntak’s system failed cause they couldn’t draft nor develop with their philosophy. They tried to draft hitters. Moniak and Haseley were top 10 picks both haven’t been worthy. Go look at their drafting they tried to draft and develop hitters they just weren’t very good players. They kept buying hitters because they had very few that actually developed into anything more than marginal mlb players or just outright failed. Their drafting of pitchers wasn’t great either. They had sixto but dealt him for realmuto. But outside of howard, Medina and sixto their depth in the minors pitching wise stunk. And really Medina never panned out to what they hyped him as and Howard looks like he wasn’t either. Cole Irvin was one of their prized guys and he didn’t have power stuff. And showed he wasn’t capable of being a starting pitcher. 

8 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

Disagree with your second paragraph eflin, wheeler and even velasquez have been good. Velasquez has a era below 3. Wheeler is below 2.5. Eflin has gone 6 or more innings in every start. And nola hasn’t been great but he’s been ok. Their starting pitching has actually been fine since velasquez has actually been good so far this year. The bullpen stinks because for years they didn’t draft power pitching and had a bunch of soft tossing pitchers and the power arms they did draft they didn’t do a good job of developing. they basically have a bullpen of guys they have thrown together from other teams that have really been hit or miss every year. The only ones in the pen that have come up through the system that has success is neris and brogdon. 

mcfail and kelntak’s system failed cause they couldn’t draft nor develop with their philosophy. They tried to draft hitters. Moniak and Haseley were top 10 picks both haven’t been worthy. Go look at their drafting they tried to draft and develop hitters they just weren’t very good players. They kept buying hitters because they had very few that actually developed into anything more than marginal mlb players or just outright failed. Their drafting of pitchers wasn’t great either. They had sixto but dealt him for realmuto. But outside of howard, Medina and sixto their depth in the minors pitching wise stunk. And really Medina never panned out to what they hyped him as and Howard looks like he wasn’t either. Cole Irvin was one of their prized guys and he didn’t have power stuff. And showed he wasn’t capable of being a starting pitcher. 

Starters have been fine - bullpen honestly has been OK.  Our defense is putrid - that's the #1 concern.  

15 minutes ago, mikemack8 said:

Starters have been fine - bullpen honestly has been OK.  Our defense is putrid - that's the #1 concern.  

I’d say defense and hitting has been putrid for the most part. The bullpen still isn’t that good. They rank bottom 1/3 in the league. This series alone the starters have up 5 ER. The bullpen gave up 9 and blew multiple save opportunities and it wasn’t all the defense for that. The bullpen is better than last year cause it was the absolute worse and one of the worst in mlb history. They still aren’t considered average. They are still a below average bullpen. The hitting is bad, awful fielding and a below average pen 

• Like 1

Friday off, makes sense :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Joe Shades 73 said:

Friday off, makes sense :rolleyes:

Maybe they didn’t want to ruin our weekend before it started. 

• Like 1

Cornelius Randolph, a player I have totally forgot about, has been named Triple A player of the week. He isn't on the 40 man roster but assuming he continues to progress (a big assumption I know), can he be the McCutchen replacement? That would be a huge boost for this organization if that happens. 

5 minutes ago, vsptroops said:

Cornelius Randolph, a player I have totally forgot about, has been named Triple A player of the week. He isn't on the 40 man roster but assuming he continues to progress (a big assumption I know), can he be the McCutchen replacement? That would be a huge boost for this organization if that happens. 

I saw that too. Frankly they should bring him up anyway with Harper out. Quinn will eventually get hurt and mccutchen stinks. I rather see what Randolph can do. Also did haseley just quit wanting to play? He’s been gone for like 1.5 months with no detail about why 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I saw that too. Frankly they should bring him up anyway with Harper out. Quinn will eventually get hurt and mccutchen stinks. I rather see what Randolph can do. Also did haseley just quit wanting to play? He’s been gone for like 1.5 months with no detail about why 

Yeah I'd like to see it but that would mean they would have to cut someone off the 40 man. I guess they could axe Quinn or Haseley. No loss either way.

3 hours ago, vsptroops said:

Yeah I'd like to see it but that would mean they would have to cut someone off the 40 man. I guess they could axe Quinn or Haseley. No loss either way.

I’d just cut Matt Joyce. He sucks anyway. So all Randolph has to do is hit over .077 and he’s instantly an upgrade 

41 minutes ago, e-a-g-l-e-s eagles! said:

I’d just cut Matt Joyce. He sucks anyway. So all Randolph has to do is hit over .077 and he’s instantly an upgrade 

Damn, forgot about Joyce. How many stiffs can one team carry? Lol...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, vsptroops said:

Quinn hurt again running the bases.