Jalen Hurts discussion (Part 2) - see new topic for contract extension

VaBeach_Eagle

14 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Yeah, being in agreement with former Eagles players is talk radio level stuff :roll::roll::roll::roll:

The Eagles gashed them when they ran the ball.  I watched the all 22 of the game also, they ran a 4 man front with little to no additional pressure and were winning easily.

I also watched the all 22 of the Falcons Saints game in New Orleans, Desmond Ridders first start in the NFL.

Ridder was not a threat to do anything, and the Falcons, who do not have an offensive line comparable to the Eagles, even without Lane Johnson ran the ball down their throats.

image.png.7f05f01b6f5264e9657fa8e76e686940.png

Ridder is a mobile qb who can make plays with his legs. That's why their running game was effective.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Ridder is a mobile qb who can make plays with his legs. That's why their running game was effective.

:roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

I love this narrative, you can only run in the NFL if you have a QB running threat.

Please tell me about the running threat of Derek Carr, Tannehill, whoever played QB for the Browns, Matt Ryan, Davis Mills, Kirk Cousins and Trevor Lawrence on these top 10 RB's

You run the ball in the NFL because you have a good offensive line ( I think at least 1 person here said we have one of the best in the NFL ), commit to it and have a good RB.

You are so entrenched with this Jalen Hurts make everything happen nonsense, you are just making up stuff.

image.png.7bc03978e5f33ad82c65dd79f3d6882d.png

When you are done with the above, tell me about the running QB's and their impacts on the all time rushing single season leaders.

image.png.8fc9df9412a682b40edfbca2cc6d09b5.png

image.gif.2534e3bdebf8030e0d31977e90421140.gif

Is that another "I’m going to crate a thread to make you leave the board” post I smell incoming?

3 hours ago, D-Shiznit said:

Dan Graziano on ESPN just said he has gotten the sense from the Eagles that Hurts will not play this week. 😳

Sucks we couldn’t get one win out of the great Minshew. Dude had one job… There are reports that Hurts is practicing. Bad news is they’re not really making it sound like he’s going to go.

"Asked by WIP-FM if the importance of the Giants game would have any bearing on whether Hurts plays, Sirianni said Tuesday, "If Jalen’s ready to play health-wise, then we’ll play him. And I think especially seeing yesterday Damar [Hamlin] and everything, we’ve got to think of our player safety first and foremost every single time regardless of the circumstances of ‘this is a must-win’ or ‘this has to happen here.’”

"I know Jalen wants to get back,” Sirianni said Monday. "That’s been his message to me ever since this happened. It’s hard to keep him down because of how tough he is, the kind of competitor he is. He wants to go. ... Obviously, he’s disappointed like we’re all disappointed walking out of that stadium. Jalen is an ultimate competitor.”

https://theredzone.org/Blog-Description/EntryId/27229/Nick-Sirianni--For-Jalen-Hurts-to-be-cleared--he-ll-have-to-be-healthy-enough-so-the-Eagles-don-t-put-his-body-at-risk

Good news is it sounds like they’re getting Quinn and CJGJ back. I’d say at least Minshew will be going up against the Giants backups, but at this point I don’t even think that’s a given he’s going to succeed. 

This entire discussion would be a non starter if the MVP would have beaten the 7 win non playoff team the Commanders at home, instead expecting Minshew to beat the 12 win playoff bound Cowboys on the road.

4 minutes ago, downundermike said:

This entire discussion would be a non starter if the MVP would have beaten the 7 win non playoff team the Commanders at home, instead expecting Minshew to beat the 12 win playoff bound Cowboys on the road.

Yup, hurts has wrecked our whole season, just like you said he would. 

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

Meh I think coaches have blame for having Hurts run so much against the bears and in general this season. Hurts has blame too for running too often. Gannon gets blame for that awful 3rd and 30 call, and minshew gets heat for his performance against the saints. Lots of blame to go around lately. 

2 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Yup, hurts has wrecked our whole season, just like you said he would. 

And I am not happy about it.  A bad game plan, by THE COACHING STAFF has put us in this situation.  Hurts play style shoulders a portion of the blame, but, the majority of the blame falls on the coaches for not running the ball, with the running backs against the Bears #31 run defense in a game that was single digit temperatures with the wind chill.

See how that works.  I could just pile on Hurts, but I put the blame where it belongs.

1 minute ago, downundermike said:

And I am not happy about it.  A bad game plan, by THE COACHING STAFF has put us in this situation.  Hurts play style shoulders a portion of the blame, but, the majority of the blame falls on the coaches for not running the ball, with the running backs against the Bears #31 run defense in a game that was single digit temperatures with the wind chill.

See how that works.  I could just pile on Hurts, but I put the blame where it belongs.

Well, you failed to blame minshew, so you didn't. 

4 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

I have, in several posts.  My exact words, Minshew did not play well, but should not have been put in that position.

49 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

Sunday and Monday posts saying that Minshew did not play well, and is a downgrade from Hurts.

On 1/1/2023 at 5:09 PM, downundermike said:

Yes Minshew played poorly, but he should not have been put in that position.

Why do you pass 32 times against the #2 pass defense, and only run it 14 times against the #23 rush defense.

This was two weeks ago, Desmond Ridders first start, in New Orleans.  The Falcons ran all over them.

image.png.ab8f95c4b56c209acf1da41f3f2bb666.png

On 1/2/2023 at 9:32 AM, downundermike said:

Clearly shows those who are more worried about their opinion being vindicated at the expense of the Eagles.

Minshew is a downgrade from Hurts, and Sirianni and Steichen made it worse by going pass happy, without Lane Johnson against a defense that can be ran on.

You can win with your back up in this league, and the 9ers are proving you can win with your 3rd QB.  Say what you want about Shanahan in big spots, but he does make it easy for his QB to succeed by playing to his team’s strengths and going after opponent weaknesses.  The Eagles did the exact opposite yesterday.

2 hours ago, downundermike said:

It is proof the Siriani and Steichen believe their system is the reason for the Eagles success, and they will run it with the back up QB and without their best offensive lineman, at home, on the road, even when playing top tier pass defenses and bottom tier run defenses.

It proves the arrogance of the coaching staff that is not willing to adjust to the situation and the personnel.

I know you think this is a Hurts / Minshew discussion, but we are way past that.  This is a coaching staff problem.

I don’t believe it’s arrogance. I think it’s blind trust in the backup that is inconsistent.

Still doesn’t change your point, just think it’s a different cause.

43 minutes ago, downundermike said:

I have, in several posts.  My exact words, Minshew did not play well, but should not have been put in that position.

So the coaches are to blame for Minshew not playing well? They were the ones making bad reads and throwing poor passes? They were panicking in clean pockets? 

Minshew has a good game against the Cowboys throwing the ball. How is it the coaches fault he followed it up with a poor outing? Especially when the opposing team is playing a defense aimed at stopping the run, and putting your best players in a favorable position? 

So the coaches are to blame for Minshew not playing well? They were the ones making bad reads and throwing poor passes? They were panicking in clean pockets? 

Minshew has a good game against the Cowboys throwing the ball. How is it the coaches fault he followed it up with a poor outing? Especially when the opposing team is playing a defense aimed at stopping the run, and putting your best players in a favorable position? 

The coaches are to blame for not running a scheme to take advantage of the #23 run defense, who has been run on by anyone who committed to it.

Minshew should have thrown less than 20 passes and we should have won by 10+ points with over 200 rushing yards.

For the 100th time.

MINSHEW DID NOT PLAY WELL, THE GAME PLAN WAS WORSE THAN MINSHEWS PLAY.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

MINSHEW DID NOT PLAY WELL, THE GAME PLAN WAS WORSE THAN MINSHEWS PLAY.

It would have been a bad game plan if receivers weren't open or there was some other reason the offense sputtered. But the fact remains that the game plan failed because the qb played poorly, the qb didn't play poorly because of the game plan. 

Tape don't lie. 

3 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

It would have been a bad game plan if receivers weren't open or there was some other reason the offense sputtered.

Yeah, the Saints front winning with 4 and spending all day in the back field.

5 hours ago, brkmsn said:

In and of itself, the RPO is not the problem. It worked just fine with Foles in 2017. The read option can still work with Minshew if he makes the right read. He's not completely incapable of running. But when it isn't effective, there's no point in calling it. Typically, when a team goes from a starter (playing like Hurts is this year) to their backup, there's going to be a drop off and the rest of the team needs to pick up their game and help out (especially the coaches). That didn't happen Sunday or the previous Saturday. Two terrible game plans in a row, IMO.

@jsb235, @brkmsn has made it quite clear he is team Hurts, but he is also reasonable enough to admit that both things are true.

1 minute ago, TorontoEagle said:

Speaking of trolls, jsb gotta be one of the biggest trolls around with this BS

Oh oh, you done done it now, he is gonna start a thread and make you quit the board.

2 minutes ago, downundermike said:

Oh oh, you done done it now, he is gonna start a thread and make you quit the board.

Or maybe message my buddies to coordinate a trolling effort? 

Also, on Minshew's sacks, first contact came at an average of 4 seconds. NFL qbs have the ball out of their hands in under 3 seconds. 

But sure, blame the coaches. 

Also, on Minshew's sacks, first contact came at an average of 4 seconds. NFL qbs have the ball out of their hands in under 3 seconds. 

Post something that proves that.

5 minutes ago, downundermike said:

@jsb235, @brkmsn has made it quite clear he is team Hurts  Eagles, but he is also reasonable enough to admit that both things are true.

I didn't like the game plan. You have to help your backup QB when he's not playing his best. There's no doubt in my mind that Minshew can play better than he has the last 2 games. I still believe the loss of Mike Leach has been a (reasonable) distraction to Gardner. I know people hate "excuses," but I have seen Minshew throw with much better placement than what we saw the last 2 games. The coaches need to make adjustments that can help a player "settle down" and get into a rhythm. A strong dose of a running game with a pro bowl RB will allow play action to open things up. Meanwhile, the saints did on the opening drive exactly what the Eagles should have done. They kept 3rd down manageable and converted with easy play calls. 

10 minutes ago, jsb235 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.b7bce246ed2ad16c8f0ac124cc687018.jpeg

Archived