DCU Thread

BFit

1 hour ago, BFit said:

i think youre thinking of victor zsasz. hes a hitman who uses knives and cuts himself for every kill. hush was bruce waynes childhood friend. he tried to kill his parents but thomas elliot saved his mother so he held a grudge against the waynes. he ended up teaming up with the riddler to try to kill batman. 

thanks for the clarification. i was just wondering if 60s campy batman had to put up with the comic book villains comic book batman faces, what'd he think.

i believe 60s Robin would just say ''yeah, i'm out...no one said anything about body parts; you all can holy go f yourselves''.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, BFit said:

i think youre thinking of victor zsasz. hes a hitman who uses knives and cuts himself for every kill. hush was bruce waynes childhood friend. he tried to kill his parents but thomas elliot saved his mother so he held a grudge against the waynes. he ended up teaming up with the riddler to try to kill batman. 

I feel like in one of the video games a childhood friend resurfaced who used surgery to make himself look identical to Bruce Wayne? Or am I misremembering? 

27 minutes ago, Agent23 said:

I feel like in one of the video games a childhood friend resurfaced who used surgery to make himself look identical to Bruce Wayne? Or am I misremembering? 

that sounds super familiar, but i cant put my finger on it. maybe the telltale game? 

20 hours ago, NOTW said:

Most of those are ridiculous, especially Jim Carey no thank you.

Leonardo DiCaprio could be interesting.  Problem is we've had 3 Jokers on film, 2 of them iconic.  So to keep doing that character is very hard to pull off.

I'd cast Leo or Paul Bettany as the Riddler and do a more serious take on him, like a serial killer and Batman has to be an detective/profiler to figure him out.  Too many villains - especially in comic book movies - play it as a crazy person laughing their heads off over the top.  In Batman Forever, both Two-Face and the Riddler were doing over-the-top laughing crazy people.  

Give us a dark, menacing truly evil character to fear and for Batman to be put to the test.

Then people will complain that the movie is too dark

7 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

NOT COOL, BLACK ROLES MATTER.

8 minutes ago, Mike030270 said:

I don't think people care as much dark or more comedic and light...I think people just want a movie to be good.  Example Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.  The Batman portions of BvS were on point with that dark nature as well.

17 hours ago, NOTW said:

I don't think people care as much dark or more comedic and light...I think people just want a movie to be good.  Example Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.  The Batman portions of BvS were on point with that dark nature as well.

There were a lot of complaints that the DCEU was dark already with the movies they already came out with

People were even complaining in the thread on the old board

18 hours ago, BFit said:

that sounds super familiar, but i cant put my finger on it. maybe the telltale game? 

I feel like I remember it in one of the Arkham Knight or Arkham City but its been so long that my mind is a blur. 

3 hours ago, Agent23 said:

ahhh, i never got that far in the game. 

5 minutes ago, BFit said:

ahhh, i never got that far in the game. 

you should re-play it! I think this is the one with the awesome Joker visions!

6 hours ago, Mike030270 said:

There were a lot of complaints that the DCEU was dark already with the movies they already came out with

People were even complaining in the thread on the old board

People loved Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.  The X-Men movies aren't full of humor like the MCU movies and people liked most of those.  The original Batman by Tim Burton was also well liked.  People like "dark" movies that are well made like serial killer movies, gritty crime action, etc.  Logan was dark and gritty although most of the movie takes place during daylight for a switch.

I think the distinction is when a movie is joyless and not enjoyable to watch, where they've tried to be dark for the sake of being dark.  You still need a good story, acting, etc. Man of Steel was ok but took a hopeful character in Superman and made him brooding, boring and depressed.  BvS was a convoluted mess, but the darkest parts are with Batman and those were the best parts.  Justice League was literally dark in the lighting, it was hard to see many of the shots, overuse of CGI and all over the place with the tinted colors on the shots.  

27 minutes ago, NOTW said:

People loved Batman Begins and The Dark Knight.  The X-Men movies aren't full of humor like the MCU movies and people liked most of those.  The original Batman by Tim Burton was also well liked.  People like "dark" movies that are well made like serial killer movies, gritty crime action, etc.  Logan was dark and gritty although most of the movie takes place during daylight for a switch.

I think the distinction is when a movie is joyless and not enjoyable to watch, where they've tried to be dark for the sake of being dark.  You still need a good story, acting, etc. Man of Steel was ok but took a hopeful character in Superman and made him brooding, boring and depressed.  BvS was a convoluted mess, but the darkest parts are with Batman and those were the best parts.  Justice League was literally dark in the lighting, it was hard to see many of the shots, overuse of CGI and all over the place with the tinted colors on the shots.  

tenor.gif

• 1 month later...

It’s about both but I’ll put it here

I think Thor and Aquaman were the best switches. Gal as Black Widow looked good too

https://deadline.com/2020/08/dc-comics-dc-universe-hit-layoffs-warnermedia-1203009714/

Warner Bros.’ DC Entertainment was one of the divisions hard hit by the companywide layoffs today.

The high-profile DC departures include Bob Harras, DC Editor-In-Chief; Hank Kanalz, SVP Publishing Strategy & Support Services; Bobbie Chase, VP, Global Publishing Initiatives & Digital Strategy; Brian Cunningham, senior story editor Deadline has confirmed. Warner Bros. is not commenting. Jim Lee remains DC Chief Creative Officer.

Also impacted is Warner Bros.’ DC Universe. Once a high-flying unit that was designed to usher Warner Bros. into the streaming world, the digital platform’s original slate has been dwindling since WarnerMedia announced the launch of HBO Max following the acquisition by AT&T. As a result, DC Universe has been focusing on its core business of DC comic book and news content for fans. The DC Comics layoffs also impacted DC Universe in its evolved function as a fandom destination.

• 2 weeks later...

DC hit a lot of homeruns this weekend between this, batman, justice league and the gotham knights game. Hopefully they can deliver on all of them

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Love it. Hopefully it opens up a directors cut suicide squad. Plus, Affleck just reportedly agreed to do more hbomax movies and series as batman,so it could open up that

11 hours ago, BFit said:

Love it. Hopefully it opens up a directors cut suicide squad. Plus, Affleck just reportedly agreed to do more hbomax movies and series as batman,so it could open up that

...said no one ever.

Why bother?  Why don't they just make a sequel to Justice League and do a new movie, they can try to "get it right" in a sequel.  Thor did this, the 2nd Thor movie was terrible but the 3rd changed tone and direction and was much better.

Just need to cut losses on the bad movies and make new ones.  

5 hours ago, sameaglesfan said:

...said no one ever.

The final crap product was largely due to editing. David Ayer’s movies have a darker tone and after BvS WB hit the panic button. 

2 hours ago, NOTW said:

Why bother?  Why don't they just make a sequel to Justice League and do a new movie, they can try to "get it right" in a sequel.  Thor did this, the 2nd Thor movie was terrible but the 3rd changed tone and direction and was much better.

Just need to cut losses on the bad movies and make new ones.  

It’s because ATT needs content for HBO Max and since they bought Time Warner after JL they don’t have any sunk costs involved with it. Add in the fact that movies and TV had a break in filming and production due to COVID will lead to a lull in new programming across all platforms in six months to a year, and the fact that the JL was already in the can means they can pump out something when no one else is. Also there’s the fact that Joss Wheedon reshot a ton (and by a ton I mean pretty much most of the movie), so what Snyder shot before Wheedon came in will essentially make it a "new” movie. 

On 8/9/2020 at 4:18 PM, Mike030270 said:

It’s about both but I’ll put it here

I think Thor and Aquaman were the best switches. Gal as Black Widow looked good too

gal looks good no matter what.