20dawk4life

Post Political Pics Here

Just now, paco said:

Do you?

Yes. But don't worry about what I think. You don't need a football message board to validate your purchases. 

44 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

Yes. But don't worry about what I think. You don't need a football message board to validate your purchases. 

Terrific! Lets try this again then.

1 hour ago, paco said:

What do you consider affordable?  There are EV's around 30k available.  And that's before the federal tax credit.  So knock off another $7500.  And then some states have a tax credit.  And some power companies have a credit.

So, we are talking about quite a few EVs that can be had for UNDER $25k.  

Your point is bad and you should feel bad :P

44 minutes ago, paco said:

Terrific! Lets try this again then.

A 2022 subaru outback.

22 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

A 2022 subaru outback.

MSRP: From $27,145

I provided a link with 5 EVs that could be had for less than that.  Two of them are roughly as spacious.  

4 minutes ago, paco said:

I provided a link with 5 vehicles that could be had for less than that.  Two of them are roughly as spacious.  

I got the Touring XL whatever. Whatever the top trim is. 40ish G. I got a pretty good deal on it and I'm leasing because I don't put mileage on cars anymore. The idea of just getting a new one every three years appeals to me going forward (for now). I'll probably buy a truck soon to replace the second car (minivan) because it's showing its age. That one I will just buy outright and keep for a long time like I usually do with my secondary vehicle.

Maybe I'm not being clear. I wouldn't want any of the EVs in the 20 to 35G range (after rebates and whatever), as they are all junky POS's. And anything more expensive than that, in my opinion, defeats the point of an EV (saving money on fuel). 

Again, these are my thoughts on the EV thing and yours seem to differ.  I don't consider every inexpensive item for sale "affordable" just because it's cheap. There is give and take in every purchase (unless you are Vikas maybe, then you just buy the coolest thing out there regardless of price).

18 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

I got the Touring XL whatever. Whatever the top trim is. 40ish G. I got a pretty good deal on it and I'm leasing because I don't put mileage on cars anymore. The idea of just getting a new one every three years appeals to me going forward (for now). I'll probably buy a truck soon to replace the second car (minivan) because it's showing its age. That one I will just buy outright and keep for a long time like I usually do with my secondary vehicle.

Maybe I'm not being clear. I wouldn't want any of the EVs in the 20 to 35G range (after rebates and whatever), as they are all junky POS's. And anything more expensive than that, in my opinion, defeats the point of an EV (saving money on fuel). 

Again, these are my thoughts on the EV thing and yours seem to differ.  I don't consider every inexpensive item for sale "affordable" just because it's cheap. There is give and take in every purchase (unless you are Vikas maybe, then you just buy the coolest thing out there regardless of price).

So the goalposts have from:

3 hours ago, Boogyman said:

I still feel an EV for the "regular guy" is getting close but a little bit away. 

To whatever the hell this is:

18 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

1) Guess what, an "affordable" car isn't going to be very high end.  Gas or electric

2) Did you even look at that link I posted?  Yeah, I wouldn't be caught dead in a bolt either and I'm not exactly a car guy.  But also in that list is a MINI Cooper SE.  Not sure if you ever have driven a MINI but while small they are hardly junky.  The 2022 Mazda MX-30 isn't a bad looking crossover.  And the Volkswagen ID.4, which creeps JUST above that sweet, sweet outback you quoted in terms of price looks like a really nice EV. (I personally am not a fan of VW)

If you wanted to make an argument, you should have attacked the fact that 3 of the top five have a very limited range (between 100-149 miles) and are only practical as a grocery getter. But instead, you make a broad statement about your personal tastes in an attempt to walk back that the comment that:

3 hours ago, Boogyman said:

I still feel an EV for the "regular guy" is getting close but a little bit away. 

When in fact the average joe (See: not Vikas) can afford one today. 

31 minutes ago, paco said:

I provided a link with 5 EVs that could be had for less than that.  Two of them are roughly as spacious.  

What's their average distance on a fully charged battery?

2 minutes ago, paco said:

If you wanted to make an argument, you should have attacked the fact that 3 of the top five have a very limited range (between 100-149 miles) and are only practical as a grocery getter. But instead, you make a broad statement about your personal tastes in an attempt to walk back that the comment that:

Just now, DrPhilly said:

What's their average distance on a fully charged battery?

See?  That's what putting just a tiny bit of thought into something looks like. 

To answer @DrPhilly, 3 were under 150 miles, but the 2022 Chevrolet Bolt EV is 259 miles and the 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric is 258 miles

Just now, paco said:

See?  That's what putting just a tiny bit of thought into something looks like. 

To answer @DrPhilly, 3 were under 150 miles, but the 2022 Chevrolet Bolt EV is 259 miles and the 2022 Hyundai Kona Electric is 258 miles

Ok, not enough yet for me to bite.  Thanks.

16 minutes ago, paco said:

So the goalposts have from:

To whatever the hell this is:

1) Guess what, an "affordable" car isn't going to be very high end.  Gas or electric

2) Did you even look at that link I posted?  Yeah, I wouldn't be caught dead in a bolt either and I'm not exactly a car guy.  But also in that list is a MINI Cooper SE.  Not sure if you ever have driven a MINI but while small they are hardly junky.  The 2022 Mazda MX-30 isn't a bad looking crossover.  And the Volkswagen ID.4, which creeps JUST above that sweet, sweet outback you quoted in terms of price looks like a really nice EV. (I personally am not a fan of VW)

When in fact the average joe (See: not Vikas) can afford one today. 

I don't see why a non commuter would want an EV at all. And yeah, the EVs you are talking about have ish range. You are right, I didn't look at your link because I had already looked into the low end EVs last year and didn't think they could have changed all that much since the. The only reason I even considered the Tesla was the range. Even if 150 miles would get me to work and back (it was pretty much an even 100 for me), who wants to buy a new car and be limited like that?

And yeah, I am speaking for myself. Thats how an opinion works. Those other poors can make up their own minds. I can't see why a person would buy the cheap ones because they are all garbage. Way to many trade offs.

You really want an EV. Buy one. For the average family they are a poor option right now. I'd assume financially both you and I are above the average.

32 minutes ago, DrPhilly said:

Ok, not enough yet for me to bite.  Thanks.

Out of curiosity, what range would you be looking for?

ok, now to deal with the stupid again

24 minutes ago, Boogyman said:

I don't see why a non commuter would want an EV at all.

:huh: 

Elaborate

And yeah, the EVs you are talking about have ish range.

Except.... 2 of the 5 had range that competes with the more expensive models.  

Again, zero thought put into your statement.

You are right

Whenever we debate, this is usually the case.

I didn't look at your link because I had already looked into the low end EVs last year and didn't think they could have changed all that much since the.

Admitting ignorance is the first step.  Second step is to do something about it.

Just a fyi, this is a rapidly evolving market and many new models (and companies) have come about in the past year.

Even if 150 miles would get me to work and back (it was pretty much an even 100 for me), who wants to buy a new car and be limited like that?

Again, 2 of the 5 affordable models I quoted have ~250 mile range.  So further proof you put zero thought into this discussion.

And yeah, I am speaking for myself. Thats how an opinion works. Those other poors can make up their own minds. I can't see why a person would buy the cheap ones because they are all garbage. Way to many trade offs.

Except, you statement wasn't about your opinion.  It was that they don't make EV's that are affordable for the average joe.  You keep inserting your opinion to try to deflect.  

How to fix that?

You are right

Shuddup and make with the funny cartoons

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, CountBlah said:

Shuddup and make with the funny cartoons

Fair enough

6b2jcv.jpg

Feel free to borrow that.  That offer goes for pretty much everyone here.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Actually.... Updated:

6b2jup.jpg

13 minutes ago, paco said:

500+

1 minute ago, DrPhilly said:

500+

It will be all about solid state batteries to reach that range.  Tech is getting there. 

Although I'm not sure why the average joe JT was worried about would need a 500 mile range.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, paco said:

ok, now to deal with the stupid again

:huh: 

Elaborate

Except.... 2 of the 5 had range that competes with the more expensive models.  

Again, zero thought put into your statement.

Whenever we debate, this is usually the case.

Admitting ignorance is the first step.  Second step is to do something about it.

Just a fyi, this is a rapidly evolving market and many new models (and companies) have come about in the past year.

Again, 2 of the 5 affordable models I quoted have ~250 mile range.  So further proof you put zero thought into this discussion.

Except, you statement wasn't about your opinion.  It was that they don't make EV's that are affordable for the average joe.  You keep inserting your opinion to try to deflect.  

How to fix that?

At this time I don't like EVs and will trash them as I see fit. You like them, you should buy a couple. Maybe even three and have an extra.

If you are short on cash and need a commuter car, buy a Corolla hybrid for 24Gish. 50 plus miles a gallon, 4 doors and you don't need an electrician to install a charger.

Also the poors typically rent or don't have a garage (I was thinking that earlier but forgot to include it).

Just now, Boogyman said:

At this time I don't like EVs and will trash them as I see fit. You like them, you should buy a couple. Maybe even three and have an extra.

If you are short on cash and need a commuter car, buy a Corolla hybrid for 24Gish. 50 plus miles a gallon, 4 doors and you don't need an electrician to install a charger.

Also the poors typically rent or don't have a garage (I was thinking that earlier but forgot to include it).

More emotional word vomit.

Can the average joe afford an EV.  Yes or no?

4 minutes ago, paco said:

Actually.... Updated:

6b2jup.jpg

I am probably better at traditional cooking than you as well. Also, I have a pretty good singing voice.

• Haha 1

Just now, paco said:

More emotional word vomit.

It's not a yes or no question. Just get a Corolla. The novelty you are infatuated with will wear off if you buy a cheap EV.

1 minute ago, Boogyman said:

I am probably better at traditional cooking than you as well. Also, I have a pretty good singing voice.

I'm not a terrible cook but I'm not going to claim to be great either.  I have a thread here you may enjoy tho.

I absolutely cannot sing.  I'm 100% left brained to, so throw out the window anything artistic.

Back on subject:

1 minute ago, paco said:

1 minute ago, Boogyman said:

It's not a yes or no question. Just get a Corolla. The novelty you are infatuated with will wear off if you buy a cheap EV.

:rolleyes:

6b2jup.jpg

1 minute ago, paco said:

I'm not a terrible cook but I'm not going to claim to be great either.  I have a thread here you may enjoy tho.

I absolutely cannot sing.  I'm 100% left brained to, so throw out the window anything artistic.

Back on subject:

60 percent of the poors rent. Investing in a charger for a home you don't own seems like a poor decision. I'm sure there are some cases where it would be fine though.