The Real Friggin Deal

time2rock

The Real Friggin Deal

Posted: September 27th, 2023 | Author: Tommy Lawlor 

Hype can be so annoying. As much fun as Deion Sanders and the Colorado story was for a couple of weeks, the hype got to be too much and I know plenty of people were ready for them to lose. You just get tired of something being thrown at you over and over.

Jalen Carter went from the top prospect in the draft all the way down to 9th, where the Eagles scooped him up. There was plenty of talk in the spring about what a lucky break this was for both Carter and the Eagles. He went to the perfect team for him and one of the best teams in the league got arguably the best player in the draft.

Carter got off to somewhat of a slow start in Training Camp. Then he started to flash and Carter really came alive in the joint practices. We all remember his highlight play against the Ravens in the preseason opener. The hype started to get going at that point.

There started to be talk about Carter as the Defensive Rookie of the Year. That seemed like a stretch because so few DTs play at a high level as rookies. The season started and Carter showed he was going to be a disruptive force. After the first two games, he had made his presence felt.

image.png.e06e46e5dda67592cce16e2a72046d2a.png

The Bucs had plenty of time to prepare for him. I was curious to see if Carter would play well in a homecoming game (he’s from the area) with all the hype that had been building around him.

Questions answered.

Carter is proving that he’s the real deal. He leads the team in sacks, TFLs and FFs. His pressure numbers stack up well league-wide.

image.png.a4e719d3af2f8803cfda05ae36141201.png

Not bad, rookie.

Carter is showing the ability to win in a variety of ways. He can explode off the ball and beat blocks that way. He can win with power. You see him move blockers around with pure strength. Carter shows good skill for such a young guy. He seems to have a plan when he’s out there. I’ve been very impressed by Carter’s motor. He chases after the ball play after play. His hustle led to the fumble right before halftime on Monday night. He handed 3 points to the offense.

We’ve got a long way to go, but Carter is on pace to have a serious chance to be the Defensive Rookie of the Year.

The Eagles have the top ranked run defense in the league. The DL deserves most of the credit for this. Let’s also give the LBs some love.

Zach Cunningham won’t be mistaken for Seth Joyner in coverage anytime soon, but he is a good run defender. He gets to the ball a lot and is a good tackler. Nick Morrow has been a pleasant surprise in his two starts.

The DL moved the LOS back and created a gap. Morrow shot into the backfield to get to the RB. Cunningham knocked back a blocker and closed off that side. The RB had nowhere to go. Boom. Safety.

I like what these guys have shown, but I’m still excited to get Nakobe Dean back in the near future.

Britain Covey was added to the active roster last week.

image.thumb.png.b90b68121132f49104839548dcb51e04.png

Good move.

He’s 3rd in the league in PRs this year. He also has a 30-yard KOR. Covey isn’t explosive, but he’s quick and has good burst. He’s learned not to hesitate. He’s got the ability to make one guy miss and get into the open.

I’m really impressed by what we’ve seen from him. The Eagles have a talented offense, but that group is even more dangerous when they have good field position.

http://igglesblitz.com/2023/09/real-friggin-deal/

The fact he’s comparing really well against the guy he replaced is especially encouraging. It’s even more encouraging when you factor in he’s playing limited snaps still and he’s a rookie! We all knew the ceiling was high (higher than Hargrave who is a damn good player) but the fact he’s already right up there amongst the rest of the league is incredible.

• Like 1