Eagles worked out punter Luke Loecher ahead of Week 4 matchup vs. Commanders

time2rock

Eagles worked out punter Luke Loecher ahead of Week 4 matchup vs. Commanders

USATSI_19521446.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1
Glenn Erby 

September 28, 2023 7:36 pm ET
The Eagles’ punter situation will be fluid all season, and with preparation for a Week 4 matchup against Washington underway, the team worked out former Oregon State star Luke Loecher.
image.png.c3089bf0a38a0ab796f0f2954c9fefba.png

Loecher transferred to Oregon State in 2018 from Kirkwood Community College in Iowa, where he was a pitcher on the baseball team.

After not playing during his first two seasons in Corvallis, Loecher took over the team’s punting duties midway through the 2020 season.

As a junior, Loecher set an Oregon State record with a punting average of 47.1 yards per kick. He had ten punts of over 50 yards, including a career-best 72-yarder at Purdue.

Loecher earned all-conference honorable mention honors last season after averaging 46.2 yards on 36 punts but went undrafted.

https://theeagleswire.usatoday.com/2023/09/28/philadelphia-eagles-luke-loecher-nfl-free-agency-work-out-braden-mann/

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I didn’t think Mann looked great and I guess the team figured the same? It’s good to look for improvements.

You're concluding he didn't look great based on one punt (where there was pressure on him so he had to rush no less)?  

5 hours ago, time2rock said:

You're concluding he didn't look great based on one punt (where there was pressure on him so he had to rush no less)?  

See now I actually thought he took way too long to get the kick off.

The Eagles are likely looking at Mann's entire body of work and are hedging their bets.

I think the Eagles might just be looking for a way to keep 53 spots for positions other than punter. I would imagine if a couple of the players they are trying to protect on the 53 end up injured, they may add a P at that point, but it kind of looks to me like they are just planning their next move for when they run out of elevations for the current punter.