Tory Horton (WR, Colorado State) -- UDFA

HazletonEagle

Tory Horton is a senior WR for Colorado State. For now is a sleeper but will probably be a star of the season for senior bowl games. Hes got pretty good size at 6'2'' 190. His upside is probably as a #2. Or maybe his ideal role is as a slot who can play #2 in a pinch. 

Everything about him is just solid. The size is good. Not great. The speed is adequate. Not a burner. Well, maybe the hands are actually really good. 

Some highlights from junior year.

Catches a high volume, looks good under pressure, nice hands - very natural - has done well as PR so can have a role early on, and playing out of the slot might help while he adjusts to a higher level of competition.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I would take a guy with "adequate" size and speed and great hands over a guy with more size and blazing speed with questionable hands 24/7.

• Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 7:42 AM, time2rock said:

I would take a guy with "adequate" size and speed and great hands over a guy with more size and blazing speed with questionable hands 24/7.

Jerry Rice agrees...as do I.

• Like 1

On 11/12/2023 at 8:22 PM, PoconoDon said:

Jerry Rice agrees...as do I.

Everyone said that about Freddie Mitchell and Jordan Matthews too.

23 hours ago, eagle45 said:

Everyone said that about Freddie Mitchell and Jordan Matthews too.

They didn't have great hands even if Freddie thanked his.

46 minutes ago, PoconoDon said:

They didn't have great hands even if Freddie thanked his.

That’s not what people said about them coming out of college.

15 hours ago, eagle45 said:

That’s not what people said about them coming out of college.

Ultimately, I think that a WR's job#1 is to catch the ball. If a WR has truly great hands, he's ready to do that job. The choice above was great hands and adequate other characteristics vs. great other characteristics and questionable hands. For me, great hands wins every time.

• 5 weeks later...

Did you ever hear the story of Jerry Rice's hands in his first training camp?  If not, it goes like this, he was dropping every pass thrown to him by Joey M, Bill Walsh called his college coach and asked what's up with Jerry, he's dropping everything, the coach said "don't worry about Jerry, just throw him 100 passes daily".  The rest is history.

Moral of the story, with practice good hands can be developed, it's a skill, not innate ability.

8 hours ago, EagleVA said:

Did you ever hear the story of Jerry Rice's hands in his first training camp?  If not, it goes like this, he was dropping every pass thrown to him by Joey M, Bill Walsh called his college coach and asked what's up with Jerry, he's dropping everything, the coach said "don't worry about Jerry, just throw him 100 passes daily".  The rest is history.

Moral of the story, with practice good hands can be developed, it's a skill, not innate ability.

Jerry’s son Brendan is in this draft - seems like a polished mid round guy.

20 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Jerry’s son Brendan is in this draft - seems like a polished mid round guy.

yea that kid will be a stud. watched him a lot this year definitely has a chance to be a great #2. possibly a lower tier 1 if need be.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2023 at 12:01 AM, EagleVA said:

And yet his nickname in college was "World" because he could catch everything in the world you threw at him. Cream always rises to the top.

With Horton out of the picture for another year, another reliable midround guy that can play out the slot with some outside versality.

Wo