Eagles sign WR Quez Watkins to a four-year rookie contract

UK_EaglesFan89

Eagles sign WR Quez Watkins to a four-year rookie contract

The Eagles signed wide receiver Quez Watkins to his four-year rookie contract on Wednesday. Watkins joins fellow sixth-round pick Prince Tega Wanogho as the first two of the team's 10 draft picks to officially sign. 

The 200th overall selection, Watkins timed as the second-fastest wide receiver at the NFL Scouting Combine, clocking in at 4.35 seconds in the 40-yard dash.

A two-time, first-team All-Conference USA selection at Southern Miss, Watkins had 64 catches for a conference-best 1,178 yards (18.5 yards per reception) and six touchdowns in 2019. He finished his college career with 159 receptions for 2,404 receiving yards and 17 receiving touchdowns in his three seasons (37 games/23 starts). Watkins also brings punt return experience, scoring an additional touchdown in 2018.

"The Eagles got a steal, I'm just being honest with you," said Southern Miss Head Coach Jay Hopson after the draft. "His upside is tremendous. I think he's a kid you're going to see get better and better and better."

The 6-0, 193-pound Watkins, a native of Athens, Alabama, just turned 21 years old last month. He was the third wide receiver selected by the Eagles in the 2020 NFL Draft along with first-round pick Jalen Reagor and fifth-round choice John Hightower.

"I'm really not somebody that's going to try to stay off to the side. I'm going to show up to the competition and show everybody what I'm about. Show them I'm ready to play and show them why I'm an Eagle," Watkins said following the draft.

"The practices are going to be, I feel like, up-tempo, and you're going to see a lot of guys just flying around; a lot of 4.3 guys really flying around. A lot of speed, a lot of playmakers."

https://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/eagles-sign-wr-quez-watkins-to-a-four-year-rookie-contract

Does this increase his chances of making the roster? Or is this just a formality?

We need a late round hit - hope he's the guy. 

11 minutes ago, Rob331 said:

We need a late round hit - hope he's the guy. 

I really like Watkins, did going in to the draft so I was delighted that we drafted him. But I think most expect Hightower to have the bigger impact...

You

You're probably right - Watkins will be battling for slot snaps while Hightower looks to be JJAW's back up 

2 hours ago, Rob331 said:

You

You're probably right - Watkins will be battling for slot snaps while Hightower looks to be JJAW's back up 

JJAW back up? So you think JJAW starts if Alshon isn't ready to go? I mean I think that's probably the most obvious choice yeah but I mean JJAW as a starter? Gulp.

2 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

JJAW back up? So you think JJAW starts if Alshon isn't ready to go? I mean I think that's probably the most obvious choice yeah but I mean JJAW as a starter? Gulp.

Regardless of how little he produced last year he does have a year of learning the offense under his belt - that gives him a huge leg up over the others (rookies) in a pandemic-shortened offseason.  

8 hours ago, time2rock said:

Regardless of how little he produced last year he does have a year of learning the offense under his belt - that gives him a huge leg up over the others (rookies) in a pandemic-shortened offseason.  

That's very true he does and we should certainly be hoping that he can actually step in and look like at least a semi competent WR.

5 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

That's very true he does and we should certainly be hoping that he can actually step in and look like at least a semi competent WR.

Yep, that should be an extreme minimal expectation.  

We just need one of Hightower or Watkins to turn into a decent 3rd/4th receiver. If both pan out, bonus. 

Another speedster in the fold. Does this herald cutting Desean?

1 hour ago, PoconoDon said:

Another speedster in the fold. Does this herald cutting Desean?

Considering Watkins (along with all of the other new WRs added) will not have had the benefit of a normal offseason thanks to COVID-19, I think it is going to be some time before they are up to speed.  I think if they cut DJax it will have zero to do with these guys getting inked.  

33 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Considering Watkins (along with all of the other new WRs added) will not have had the benefit of a normal offseason thanks to COVID-19, I think it is going to be some time before they are up to speed.  I think if they cut DJax it will have zero to do with these guys getting inked.  

Not much to discuss of late...lol. Just curiosity on my part as to whether it might enter the calculus. You may be right that speedy young depth on board, ends up having nothing to do with that decision. I suspect that even if it did, we'd never truly know.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

Not much to discuss of late...lol. Just curiosity on my part as to whether it might enter the calculus. You may be right that speedy young depth on board, ends up having nothing to do with that decision. I suspect that even if it did, we'd never truly know.

I also think if they were going to cut him it would have happened by now.  I expect something similar to how they handled the Cooper situation in 2013 ... a fine.  And perhaps some sensitivity training too (similar to Cooper).  

• Like 1

On 7/9/2020 at 3:22 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

You saw my prediction for JJAW's season. 

56 catches, 9.5 yards per (532 total), 30 first downs and 6 TD's. 

I certainly hope this comes to fruition and it would be a great year for the 4th or 5th option (Ertz, Jackson, Reagor, Goedert) 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rob331 said:

You saw my prediction for JJAW's season. 

56 catches, 9.5 yards per (532 total), 30 first downs and 6 TD's. 

I certainly hope this comes to fruition and it would be a great year for the 4th or 5th option (Ertz, Jackson, Reagor, Goedert) 

Personally, I really hope we don't have an outside WR in this offense with over 50 catches who averages 9.5 per.  

• Like 1