Trade Talk

time2rock

Trade Talk

Posted: October 30th, 2023 | Author: Tommy Lawlor 

The NFL’s trade deadline is Tuesday at 4pm. We got news of an outgoing trade today, but no news on Howie adding players to the Eagles. We can speculate for now, but will have to wait til Tuesday for any real news.

Back to the trade that did happen.

image.thumb.png.7eb80eb66c12c4dd210f36d19e9b7f09.png

The Falcons lost DT Grady Jarrett on Sunday and needed DL help. Street wasn’t playing a lot with the Eagles. They can give his snaps to rookie Moro Ojomo. The Eagles have DT Thomas Booker and NT Noah Elliss on the practice squad so they’ve still got solid depth.

So what is Howie doing to improve the team?

image.png.f5de1b9b4da111ad4c27a8ae3b01ce40.png

This would be interesting. Haason Reddick and Josh Sweat are stud pass rushers. Brandon Graham might finally be showing his age. He’s got 0.5 sacks and 3 QB hits. After that you have rookie Nolan Smith and Derek Barnett. The team is mixing in Smith, but not a ton. I’m not sure they trust him to be on the field a lot right now. Barnett does not have a QB hit this year. He’s been okay vs the run, but isn’t pressuring the passer at all. Patrick Johnson has primarily been a STer.

Finding pass rushers is tricky. The Eagles dealt for Robert Quinn last year and that didn’t work. Teams don’t want to give up good rushers unless you pay a lot for them. I don’t think Howie is looking to give up key assets. That’s just a guess on my part. Tuesday will give us real answers.

We’ll see who the Eagles get.

Or we’ll find out that there just wasn’t a deal to be made.

If you want to know what picks the Eagles have this year, Jimmy Bama has you covered.

As long as the comp picks pan out as expected, the Eagles will be in good shape.

The Eagles added a bit more cap room.

image.png.6634accbe6d14d772bab8cdae221b6a7.png

They are always tweaking contracts to maximize available money, for this year or the future.

There are things to fix on defense. Having some stability in the secondary would be a big help. Constant change has been an issue this year.

image.png.b5ab2211cea560007b0d9047fecf572d.png

Yikes.

That number could go up if the Eagles deal for a DB. They could be looking for a nick if they aren’t sold on Bradley Roby, Sydney Brown and/or Eli Ricks. Or Josiah Scott. I hope Avonte Maddox realizes how inconvenient his injury has been. Very selfish of him to get hurt and miss the rest of the season.

I thought Brown did some good things on Sunday. I’ve been impressed with Ricks in multiple games. Roby didn’t do a lot for me before he got hurt. This is another situation where the Eagles might want an upgrade, but the price has to be right.

The Chiefs showed last year that you can win with young DBs. Find the right guys and give them a chance to play through their mistakes. The Eagles need to find long term solutions in the secondary. They can’t keep going through this kind of shuffle every year.

Sua Opeta got hurt late in the first half and rookie Tyler Steen had to take over at RG.

Good job by the rookie. Did his job and the offense marched right down the field for a TD. Opeta came back out for the second half.

It sounds like Cam Jurgens will probably be back this week. Nick Sirianni wouldn’t commit to anything at his press conference, but Jurgens was at the game on Sunday and moved without issue. We’ll see if the Eagles activate him from IR on Wednesday. I’m sure they would love to get him back. The run game hasn’t been the same without him.

http://igglesblitz.com/2023/10/trade-talk-2/