Game Preview – BUF at PHI

time2rock

Game Preview – BUF at PHI

Posted: November 26th, 2023 | Author: Tommy Lawlor

The Bills are talented, but erratic. When they dominate, watch out. Those guys make big plays and overwhelm opponents. They also have some bad losses and poor performances.

Buffalo is a desperate team. They are 6-5 and coming off a blowout win, but right now would miss the playoffs as things stand. They are desperate to pile up wins so they can get back to the postseason. We don’t know for sure which Buffalo team will show up, but you better be ready for the good version.

They recently fired their OC so there is only one game to study from the current play-caller. That will make things a bit challenging for Sean Desai, but the key to beating the Bills is containing Josh Allen and limiting Stefon Diggs. Those are tough matchups for the Eagles.

Allen is a dynamic QB. He has the strongest arm in the game so he can put the ball anywhere at any time. DBs have to cover accordingly. He is also an outstanding runner. Running QBs can give the Eagles fits. If the pass rushers get behind him or leave gaps up the middle, Allen can burn them for big gains.

As for Diggs, he can line up in the slot or outside. He has he athleticism and skill to eat up Roby in the slot or Bradberry outside. The Eagles would be smart to put Slay on him as much as possible. They should also mix in double teams.

I do think the Eagles have an advantage with their DL vs the Bills OL, especially on the right side. RG O’Cyrus Torrence is a rookie. He’s big and strong, but still learning. RT Spencer Brown is tall. Rushers can get under his pads and move him backward.

The Eagles should be able to score points against Buffalo. The Bills are missing several key players due to injury. They are vulnerable to the run and with a banged up secondary can be vulnerable to the passing game. The Bills are second in the league in sacks so the Eagles OL will have their hands full. Buffalo has good rushers, but also uses blitzers very effectively.

DT Ed Oliver has 6 sacks and 11 QB hits. He is playing the best football of his career. He’s also good against the run. Leonard Floyd leads the team with 9.5 sacks and 17 QB hits. MLB Terrell Bernard leads the team in tackles and also has 3.5 sacks.

Buffalo traded for CB Rasul Douglas a few weeks back and he’s played well for them. He had a key INT last week. Douglas has great ball skills. You may remember that the way to attack him is with deep throws. Both AJ and DeVonta should go deep against him.

This feels like a game where the Eagles ought to try to run the ball. The run game showed some life last week and could be even better against this defense.

image.thumb.png.27d2a1409e81170e3970554f77f47d0c.png

It will be interesting to see what the Eagles do at WR.

AJ
DeVonta
Quez
Julio
Oz
Covey

Is there any way they can play all six of them? Oz could sit, but he is a good blocker and does the dirty work better than the others. We’ll see how the Eagles use this group.

I do wonder if playing KC last week will help. Steve Spagnuolo and Sean McDermott both learned defense from Jim Johnson. KC and BUF aren’t twins on defense, but they do have some similarities.

Buffalo has young LBs so the Eagles could try to attack them with RPOs and creative run plays. You want those guys thinking and not attacking.

This will be another tough test for the Eagles. Buffalo makes me nervous, but the Eagles seem to find a way to win every week.

http://igglesblitz.com/2023/11/game-preview-buf-phi/

We don't have a TE or really a 3rd WR, unless Watkins is gonna all of a sudden turn into 2017 Agholar and remember how to play football for a season. For TE I wouldn't mind them giving AO some extra playing time, I think he could be one of those missing pieces.

21 hours ago, Portyansky said:

We don't have a TE or really a 3rd WR, unless Watkins is gonna all of a sudden turn into 2017 Agholar and remember how to play football for a season. For TE I wouldn't mind them giving AO some extra playing time, I think he could be one of those missing pieces.

There has to be a reason he isn't getting any touches.  When you're down 2 of your top 3 and we're 12 weeks into the season and still not getting any looks ... something is up.