2003 Eagles

Procus

Anyone else remember this team?  It came off a brutal loss to Tampa to close out the Vet in the 2002 season.  Then were blown out their first two games of the season against Tampa and New England.

Fast forward - the team had an early bye that year in week 3 and then went 12-2 the rest of the season.

I'm not giving up on this team yet.

• Like 1

The issue here is we already had the bye and are currently playing the worst football of the season with 4 games left. Not saying all hope is lost but the defense is a complete mess and most of the time only gets the ball back to the offense after the other team scores. The offense is under so much pressure to score every possession and the scheme appears to have been figured  out. There has been no improvement week to week. The Cowboys and 49rs are the teams they will have to beat (at least one) and I don't see this staff being capable of righting the ship. I hope I am wrong but these last two games were tough, not that they lost but the way they were not even competitive. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GreenMachine said:

The issue here is we already had the bye and are currently playing the worst football of the season with 4 games left. Not saying all hope is lost but the defense is a complete mess and most of the time only gets the ball back to the offense after the other team scores. The offense is under so much pressure to score every possession and the scheme appears to have been figured  out. There has been no improvement week to week. The Cowboys and 49rs are the teams they will have to beat (at least one) and I don't see this staff being capable of righting the ship. I hope I am wrong but these last two games were tough, not that they lost but the way they were not even competitive. 

The 2003 team came off a de facto bye for its first two games of the season.  The losses were against the SB champs and an elite team in NE.  They were brutal losses and team looked terrible.  I didn't like the Eagles performance the past two weeks, but I'm not going to knee jerk react either.

Westbrook had that punt return for a touchdown that helped the eagles go 3-3 fun times. I miss that guy. 

I don’t trust Sirianni so my expectations of a turnaround are 0.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, NCTANK said:

I remember the trip back home to NC after losing our third NFCCG in a row. 

Sheesh! Driving back home to NC after losing to Carolina. That does sound rough.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I was at the last game regular season (vs. Washington) and the NFCCG (vs. Tampa), I still have scars from the Tampa game.  I was sitting in the 600 level and our fans were the biggest wussies in that section.  We were used to the 700 Level, that level was like the family level and we were begging for them to get up, make noise and we were asked to sit down lol 

40 minutes ago, EagleJoe8 said:

Sheesh! Driving back home to NC after losing to Carolina. That does sound rough.

My wife booked the trip for me and my son (who was 15 at the time) with a local sports tour company in Charlotte. She was oblivious to the fact that we were going to be the only Eagles fans on the charter bus. It was brutal. 

• Sad 2

Brian Dawkins

Troy Vincent

Lito Sheppard 

Sheldon Brown

Four reasons why that 2003 team had a chance.

Light years better talent on that back end of the defense.

2023 Eagles will be lucky to win a wildcard game.

Would be interesting to pull up the defensive rankings on 3rd down and RZ with the 2003 group.

• Haha 1

2003 was the year Westbrooks Miracle at the Meadowlands punt return was viewed as saving the season and sparking them to get back on track.

It was also the year our WRs were abused by the Panthers physical corners in the NFCCG, forcing them to finally upgrade WR by trading for TO.  Losing in the playoffs can expose weaknesses that need to be upgraded.

11 hours ago, eagle45 said:

And their season ended with a brutal nfccg loss because they weren’t good enough.

Well McNabb took a late hit and that was a wrap.  The defense held Carolina to 14 points which should've been good enough. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, b_west3 said:

Well McNabb took a late hit and that was a wrap.  The defense held Carolina to 14 points which should've been good enough. 

I don’t think they were going anywhere in that game before Mcnabb got hurt.