Eagles players upset about 'very predictable' offense, per report; Nick Sirianni says coaches working to fix

time2rock

Eagles players upset about 'very predictable' offense, per report; Nick Sirianni says coaches working to fix

All is not necessarily well with the 10-3 Birds

Cody Benjamin

Dec 13, 2023 at 9:22 am ET

image.png.795d222c2b8308c00ef23a2fc5a922f0.png

The Eagles are 10-3, tied for the best record in the NFC, and can win their division by winning their final four games. But after two straight blowout losses to the 49ers and Cowboys, the perception of Philadelphia's strength has changed, including internally. Even some Eagles players are upset by the team's "very predictable" offense, according to Derrick Gunn.

"I've been going back and forth with a couple players in the locker room, and I'm like, 'What the heck is going on?'" Gunn said on JAKIB Sports this week. "The first response I got back was, 'We are very predictable.' ... 'Look at our pass routes compared to the Cowboys' pass routes. Our pass routes take too long to develop. Dallas gets their bleep out real quick.'"

This comes days after the Eagles offense failed to score a single touchdown in a 33-13 loss to the Cowboys. While defense has also been a concern for Philly, with the team ranked 28th in points allowed, Gunn suggested it's the staleness of Nick Sirianni's preferred side of the ball that deserves the most attention. Quarterback Jalen Hurts was responsible for leading several comeback wins during the Eagles' 10-1 start, but he's also battled turnover issues all year, including in the club's two straight losses.

Sirianni downplayed, then subtly gave credence to, Gunn's report when asked about it Tuesday.

"We obviously don't think so as coaches," he told reporters of the Eagles' perceived lack of unpredictability. "We'll continue to work on making sure that we're meshing things together. ... We'll work like crazy on that. ... You can't be predictable in anything you do. We're working like crazy to complement our plays, but we'll look at everything during our self-scout to make sure that we're not predictable."

Sirianni also told reporters he's not considering any changes to the current staff's responsibilities. After losing both Shane Steichen and Jonathan Gannon to head coaching jobs in the 2023 offseason, the Eagles have first-time full-timers at both coordinator spots -- Brian Johnson on offense, and Sean Desai on defense.

If his is true then that’s really concerning! Because I’m not sure what they are going to do about it. BJ isn’t going to get fired (not saying that he should but he’s not going to). They don’t seem to have reacted to bring in Reich either so I’m not sure what’s going to change? 

Not feeling optimistic they're capable of fixing the offense.  They kinda caught the league by storm last year with what they were doing and teams now have plenty of tape to figure out how to better defend against what they are doing (kinda reminds me of the early days of Chip Kelly - eventually that got figured out too).  I don't have much hope they'll fix this because you have to assume they would have shown some signs by now that they can ... I just don't think they have that level of creativity in this group to do so.  I hope they prove me wrong but doubt they will.  

The coaches not thinking they're predictable is a bad omen........I thought Sirianni listened to players?

When opponents, fans, media and even your own players are saying you're too predictable, then it's time to take your head out of your arse.

This screams that Johnson was NOT ready for this position.  With the skill players at his disposal, being boring and predictable is inexcusable.  This is a bad time of year to be reinventing the offense.

Sounds like AJ.  He usually gets cranky when we mess up.  No question that other teams have guys running all over the place and Hurts needs to get the ball out quickly.

This offense is starting to remind me of Chip Kellys...no motion and no creativity. Just need more read option and it would be the exact same offense just not as fast.