Eagles playoff-clinching scenario tracker

time2rock

Eagles playoff-clinching scenario tracker

The Eagles are getting closer to inevitably making their playoff berth official.

Kempski_Headshot_2016-Final.jpg
BY JIMMY KEMPSKI
PhillyVoice Staff
112723NickSirianniGatoradeBILL STREICHER/USA TODAY SPORTS

Wet and cold Nick Sirianni

Here we'll track the Philadelphia Eagles' playoff clinching scenarios as they continue to progress throughout the rest of the regular season.

First, the NFC East standings:

NFC East  Record  Division  GB 
Eagles  11-4  4-1 
Cowboys  10-5  4-1 
Giants  5-10  2-3 
Commanders  4-11  0-5 

If the Eagles win their next two games, they win the division because they will have a better record than the Cowboys (duh). They will not win any tie-breakers over the Cowboys if it comes to that.

The NFC standings:

Seed  NFC standings  Record  Conf record 
49ers  11-4  8-1 
Lions  11-4  7-3 
Eagles  11-4  7-3 
Buccaneers  8-7  6-4 
Cowboys  10-5  7-3 
Rams  8-7  6-4 
Seahawks  8-7  6-5 
Vikings  7-8  6-4 
Falcons  7-8  4-6 
10  Packers  7-8  5-5 
11  Saints  7-8  4-6 
12  Bears  6-9  5-5 
13  Giants  5-10  4-6 
14  Commanders 4-11  2-8 
15  Cardinals 3-12  2-8 
16  Panthers 2-13  1-10 

The Eagles will only have a higher seed over the 49ers if they have a better record. Obviously, the 49ers have a head-to-head advantage over the Eagles. The 49ers will also win any three-way tiebreaker because they'll have the best record in the NFC.

If the Eagles and Lions both win out and the seeding is only between those two teams, the Lions will have the higher seed based on a better record against common opponents, as shown here:

Common opponent  Eagles  Lions 
Chiefs  Win  Win 
Seahawks  Loss  Loss 
Buccaneers  Win  Win 
Vikings  Win  Win 
Vikings  N/A  Win (hypothetical, Week 18) 
Cowboys  Win  Win (hypothetical, Week 17)
Cowboys  Loss  N/A 
TOTAL  4-2  5-1 

The great Deniz Selman sums it all up here:

image.thumb.png.2f25fc1ff49b8ea37e19377b086b9f71.png

Here are the most recent playoff-clinching scenarios this upcoming weekend, via the fine folks at playoffstatus.com.

Week 17

There are two scenarios in which the Eagles can clinch the NFC East on Sunday.

• If the Eagles beat the Cardinals, and the Cowboys lose to (or tie) the Lions.

• If the Eagles tie the Cardinals, and the Cowboys lose to the Lions.

https://www.phillyvoice.com/eagles-playoff-clinching-scenario-tracker/

That loss to Seattle really was a huge loss just as I said... Knew Balt was gonna win. And also knew Lions were lurking. Just win the next 2 games, hope Lions drop 1. And by some miracle SF loses to the Rams who are currently playing for something as well.(commies stand no chance). SF had the opportunity to rest most of their starters week 18, but lost to Balt.

17 hours ago, Portyansky said:

That loss to Seattle really was a huge loss just as I said... Knew Balt was gonna win. And also knew Lions were lurking. Just win the next 2 games, hope Lions drop 1. And by some miracle SF loses to the Rams who are currently playing for something as well.(commies stand no chance). SF had the opportunity to rest most of their starters week 18, but lost to Balt.

First and foremost, we obviously need to take care of our own business.  If we drop either game then nothing else matters.  

After that I really want to root for Dallas (for seeding purposes) but I just can't.  So I'll be hoping they beat Dallas then drop their finale to Minnesota.  And as you stated, hoping like hell SF drops their finale to LA.  

• Like 1