The Last Time We Blew a 15 Point Halftime Lead …

time2rock

The last time we blew a 15 point (or greater) lead we held at halftime to a team as bad as the 3-12 Cardinals was 1994.  That was Kotite’s last season.  Hmmmmm ….

• Sad 1

Didn’t that team start seven and 0 and Kotite started demanding an extension only for them to not win another game? 

1 minute ago, EazyEaglez said:

Didn’t that team start seven and 0 and Kotite started demanding an extension only for them to not win another game? 

Started 7-2 then lost 7 straight. 

• Like 4

Just now, vsptroops said:

Started 7-2 then lost 7 straight. 

Well Sirianni hasn’t been that bad, but there’s definitely something fundamentally wrong with this football team and that’s on the HC. 

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, EazyEaglez said:

Well Sirianni hasn’t been that bad, but there’s definitely something fundamentally wrong with this football team and that’s on the HC. 

Yep. Kotite was smelling himself really good after that 7-2 start and then the bottom fell out. I can see Sirianni smelling himself after a SB appearance last year and a 10-1 start this year. Certainly very similar. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, time2rock said:

The last time we blew a 15 point (or greater) lead we held at halftime to a team as bad as the 3-12 Cardinals was 1994.  That was Kotite’s last season.  Hmmmmm ….

It feels now, like it did back then.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PoconoDon said:

It feels now, like it did back then.

The result was ultimately him getting fired. If this team ends up 11-7 this year that doesn’t seem like a record that should guarantee Sirianni’s return. He’s basically lost the locker room. 

3 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The result was ultimately him getting fired. If this team ends up 11-7 this year that doesn’t seem like a record that should guarantee Sirianni’s return. He’s basically lost the locker room. 

Yeah it really does. A team playing for their HC doesn’t play that soft. It doesn’t fight and argue on the sidelines with the coaches and with each other. That’s a team that has completely quit.

10 hours ago, vsptroops said:

Yep. Kotite was smelling himself really good after that 7-2 start and then the bottom fell out. I can see Sirianni smelling himself after a SB appearance last year and a 10-1 start this year. Certainly very similar. 

Sirianni was definitely smelling himself with all his sideline antics and cocky demeanor.  

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Sirianni was definitely smelling himself with all his sideline antics and cocky demeanor.  

He’s been found out there’s no doubt about that.

11 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

7-2 then lost 7 straight. Kotite fired by the Eagles and immediately hired by the Jets. At press conference Leon Hess says "I'm 80 years old, I want to win now".

Newspaper headline ... only the Jets would fire a coach that lost 5 in a row (Pete Carroll) and hire a coach that lost 7 in a row.

7 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

Despite all the recent negativity, I would be completely shocked if they decided to fire Sirianni when this season concludes, even if worst case scenario we get blown out by NY next weekend and then get embarrassed in the WC game.  I think they'll take into consideration that he was the first HC in this franchise's history to lead the team to the playoffs in his first 3 seasons, lead the team to the Super Bowl just last year, had the NFL's best record for the majority of the season (even through there were glaring signs of issues during that winning stretch that he couldn't seem to figure out how to fix), etc.  I think they'll give him a chance to right the ship first.  

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

Despite all the recent negativity, I would be completely shocked if they decided to fire Sirianni when this season concludes, even if worst case scenario we get blown out by NY next weekend and then get embarrassed in the WC game.  I think they'll take into consideration that he was the first HC in this franchise's history to lead the team to the playoffs in his first 3 seasons, lead the team to the Super Bowl just last year, had the NFL's best record for the majority of the season (even through there were glaring signs of issues during that winning stretch that he couldn't seem to figure out how to fix), etc.  I think they'll give him a chance to right the ship first.  

I agree with you but my problem with that last sentence is that I feel we haven't seen a single thing this year to indicate he tried to do that with this team this year and that is what concerns me... Part of me really wants to see Nick get fired if im being honest 

• Like 1

I think the offense has been predictable all season. The opposing defense knows what is coming before the snap. Early in the season, we were able to get away with it because we were able to just physically beat them anyway. There were enough turnovers and miscues for the coaches to point at the mistakes for the reason we had to win ugly instead of facing the fact that we became predictable. So the narrative became "We got things to clean up. We got to fundamentally get better.” I think the players are physically tired and we can’t just physically beat the other team anymore when they know what’s coming 80% of the time.

With the infamous Philly fan calls to run the ball, the coaches responded with coach speak of "we have multiple plays each snap”, "the defensive look dictates what play we run”, "our system reads get us into the optimal play based on defensive alignment”… blah, blah, blah Nick. The opposing teams have figured it out. If you don’t make adjustments to your system and reads and play calls, you will continue to fail.

I don’t think he’s lost the team to a point of no return, but I think they’re tried of doing the same thing over and over without adjusting.

4 hours ago, time2rock said:

His mugging for the camera like a H.S. PLAYER was embarrassing. He really is immature and his rise to NFL HC was at least 10 years too fast. Lurie and Howie have to choose more wisely. 

2 hours ago, Aspiritfall said:

I agree with you but my problem with that last sentence is that I feel we haven't seen a single thing this year to indicate he tried to do that with this team this year and that is what concerns me... Part of me really wants to see Nick get fired if im being honest 

I don’t disagree with any of that.  All season he’s been saying they need to get this or that fixed and have shown no signs of being able to do so.  But I also think Jeff and Howie will feel he has earned the right to have more time to right the ship.  

7 hours ago, time2rock said:

Last year Hurts was seen pushing Siri's arms down and keeping him from overreacting and getting a penalty. Hurts is more mature than him.

He definitely got cocky, his "offense" actually reminds me of Buddy Ryan in certain ways: just let your QB make plays to the weapons like a playground game, they'll figure it out. 

On 1/1/2024 at 8:24 AM, Aspiritfall said:

I think by having Steichen and Gannon last year and year before it actually hindered Sirranni's growth. I feel like those 2 basically made Sirranni's need to game plan obsolete so he could focus on the "situational football". This year is like Sirranni's first year but he is basically cheating off the playbook from last year. Johnson might be a good OC but we won't know that because Sirranni wants more control of the offense than he did with Steichen. Sirranni is learning. I don't know if he is going to get fired because Lurie is going to say all the positive things like 3 playoff runs. 11 win team, superbowl ect. the only thing i can think of that would cause Lurie to fire him is if the players council goes to Lurie and says that Sirranni has lost the lockerroom.

40 minutes ago, Soumak said:

I think by having Steichen and Gannon last year and year before it actually hindered Sirranni's growth. I feel like those 2 basically made Sirranni's need to game plan obsolete so he could focus on the "situational football". This year is like Sirranni's first year but he is basically cheating off the playbook from last year. Johnson might be a good OC but we won't know that because Sirranni wants more control of the offense than he did with Steichen. Sirranni is learning. I don't know if he is going to get fired because Lurie is going to say all the positive things like 3 playoff runs. 11 win team, superbowl ect. the only thing i can think of that would cause Lurie to fire him is if the players council goes to Lurie and says that Sirranni has lost the lockerroom.

Possibly... Me personally I haven't seen a single thing that sirriani has done to improve the offense... I'm not say he should or deserves to be fired I'm just not sure I'd be upset about it 

9 hours ago, Aspiritfall said:

Possibly... Me personally I haven't seen a single thing that sirriani has done to improve the offense... I'm not say he should or deserves to be fired I'm just not sure I'd be upset about it 

That’s where I’m at. I’m not calling for him to be fired right now but if he were to be then I’d be ok with it. 

On 12/31/2023 at 8:23 PM, EazyEaglez said:

They were 7-2 and finished 7-9.  Kotite then replaced Pete Carroll as Jets head coach because then-owner Leon Hess "wanted to win because he was 80." 

Ironically, Carroll, then I believe the youngest head coach in the NFL is now the oldest HC in the NFL. 

On 1/1/2024 at 11:26 AM, time2rock said:

During that controversial Kotite season, there were rumors that Lurie was going to let Kotite go at the end of the season regardless, this was when the team was 7-2 and Kotite was no longer interested in coaching and just let things go pear shaped..