Eagles' Nick Sirianni considering resting starters for regular-season finale, even with NFC East at stake

time2rock

Eagles' Nick Sirianni considering resting starters for regular-season finale, even with NFC East at stake

The Eagles may rest starters in the Week 18 matchup at the Giants

By Jeff Kerr
Jan 2, 2024 at 9:30 am ET

The NFC East title is still at stake for the Philadelphia Eagles, needing a win and a Dallas Cowboys loss to seize the division. That won't prevent head coach Nick Sirianni from resting his starters on an ailing team that has lost four of five games heading into the playoffs.

NFC East title and home game be damned, resting the starters is under consideration.

"Obviously, we always try to think through everything at all times and we are always thinking about those things," Sirianni said Monday. "We're going to do whatever we need to do to win this game. But still, that's a consideration, what you're saying, because we think through all those different things."

There are a few factors that come into play with the Eagles resting starters, starting with the potential of inclement weather heading toward the Meadowlands. A significant snowstorm is in the forecast for Sunday. Combine that with the MetLife Stadium turf and that's a recipe for disaster. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/eagles-nick-sirianni-considering-resting-starters-for-regular-season-finale-even-with-nfc-east-at-stake/

• Haha 1

I am starting to lean towards resting the starters. Give them a bye week and see if that does the trick. It may not. It may have no positive affect and they’ll still stink. But at this point they need to try something and this team looks broken and tired. 

The reality is Dallas beats Washington. Sure they could slip up but there’s a good chance they don’t. And even if we did win the division that gives us the #3 seed providing Detroit win their last game. Ok that gives us a home game but this team can’t be trusted home or on the road at this point.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I am starting to lean towards resting the starters. Give them a bye week and see if that does the trick. It may not. It may have no positive affect and they’ll still stink. But at this point they need to try something and this team looks broken and tired. 

The reality is Dallas beats Washington. Sure they could slip up but there’s a good chance they don’t. And even if we did win the division that gives us the #3 seed providing Detroit win their last game. Ok that gives us a home game but this team can’t be trusted home or on the road at this point.

There is still a chance at the 2 seed ... you don't rest the starters.  Dallas lost to AZ too.  Divisional game against Washington ... not impossible they lose to them.  I'd start everyone and keep an eye on the scoreboard.  If they are blowing Washington out in the 2nd half then pull the starters and play the 2s and 3s.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, time2rock said:

There is still a chance at the 2 seed ... you don't rest the starters.  Dallas lost to AZ too.  Divisional game against Washington ... not impossible they lose to them.  I'd start everyone and keep an eye on the scoreboard.  If they are blowing Washington out in the 2nd half then pull the starters and play the 2s and 3s.  

They need a rest and another loss or even another narrow win does nothing to help this team and the mood. I think take the rest.

• Confused 1

After the way they played against the Cards no one deserves a rest.

19 hours ago, time2rock said:

This is exactly what they will do.  Anybody who thinks they would actually sit starters to begin the game is a fool.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Perforator said:

After the way they played against the Cards no one deserves a rest.

Add to that the fact that the 2 seed is still achievable.  Sirianni would be a fool to rest the starters with the opportunity to get that (could you imagine if he rested starters and because of that we lose ... and Dallas also loses????). 

To say a win does nothing to help this team is a pretty dumb take.  The 2 seed with the potential for 2 home playoff games in advance of the NFCCG is huge relative to playing those on the road.  Even if Dallas does win, getting this team back to a winning football mode before the playoffs start would be a huge boost.  

36 minutes ago, time2rock said:

To say a win does nothing to help this team is a pretty dumb take. 

I agree with this. A win absolutely could help our case. I just think the likelihood of them getting a higher seeding is so low that the benefit of a rest week is greater.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I agree with this. A win absolutely could help our case. I just think the likelihood of them getting a higher seeding is so low that the benefit of a rest week is greater.

Stranger things have happened.  I do agree it seems fairly likely Dallas wins but you know how these divisional games go.  I would hate to blow a golden opportunity to win the division and grab that 2 seed should Dallas stumble (we would be gifting them the division crown by sitting our starters).  

2 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Stranger things have happened.  I do agree it seems fairly likely Dallas wins but you know how these divisional games go.  I would hate to blow a golden opportunity to win the division and grab that 2 seed should Dallas stumble (we would be gifting them the division crown by sitting our starters).  

I know what you mean and a part of me agrees. I just think the far more likely outcome is either Dallas wins or we lose and then we really are screwed the following week.

1 hour ago, time2rock said:

As I said in the other thread this came up in, at the half on Sunday. 49ers Commanders were 13-10. yes Howell fell apart from there but if they had the Cowboys close on a chilly day on Sunday, the Cowboys might crumble.

• Like 1

Doesn’t matter either way. 

• Like 1

I want a frickin win!! So play whomever will help you win.