Game Preview – PHI at NYG

time2rock

Game Preview – PHI at NYG

osted: January 6th, 2024 | Author: Tommy Lawlor

Sunday’s regular season finale between the Eagles and Giants will be an interesting game. The Giants have nothing to play for. The organization would actually benefit from a loss by getting a higher draft pick. But Brian Daboll is an ultra-competitive coach and will do everything he can to win.

The Eagles could earn the #2 seed with a win and a Dallas loss. That isn’t likely, but it is possible. The Eagles are also coming off an embarrassing loss so this game is important for them. They need to play good football and try to build some momentum for the postseason.

I’ve written a couple of pieces this week expressing some optimism. I’m sure some of you want to dump a bucket of cheese wiz on my head and tell me to shut up. I get that. This team hasn’t earned our trust. Still, this week has felt different to me. We’ll find out if that is real on Sunday.

What would a good game even look like?

Don’t think of some epic 42-0 blowout. Just seeing the Eagles win a game 31-13 or something like that would be great. The Eagles are the more talented team. They are the better team. Go play like it.

The Eagles will be missing a couple of key guys.

image.png.3c704fa0a8f6e69e96cc1d3b3985c4a2.png

I’m curious to see what the team does on offense. I expect to see more 12 personnel. Heck, against the Giants they ought to mix in 13 personnel as well. Wink Martindale loves to play a lot of DBs. One way to combat that is using TEs and mixing in a lot of run.

The Giants will double team AJ Brown as much as they can. That means that Julio Jones, Olamide Zaccheaus and/or Quez Watkins needs to step up. Jones is coming off his best game of the year. Oz has been quiet recently, but has made some big plays this season. Watkins hasn’t played much recently. I’m sure he is desperate to get back on the field and make a play. The Giants have a banged up secondary so that evens things out a bit.

Jalen Hurts still has good weapons and a good line. He needs to protect the ball and make plays. The biggest challenge for him will be handling the Giants blitz. He and the coaches need good answers for when the Giants come after him.

Weather will be a factor for both teams. There is expected to be a mix of rain and snow. We’ll have to see how that affects the teams. This sure feels like a game where the Eagles ought to lean on their O-line. Go pound on the G-men.

The Eagles scored 33 points and gained 465 yards in the first meeting with the Giants. I’m not overly concerned about that side of the ball.

What will the defense do?

They actually played well for most of the first Giants game. The Eagles defense gave up 11 points and 168 yards in the first 57 minutes of the game. They allowed 7 points and 124 yards in the last 3 minutes. The Giants defense scored the other TD in the game.

Tommy DeVito played the first half and stunk. Tyrod Taylor came in for the second half and was better. He was the key to the final couple of drives. Taylor has good mobility and can be an excellent downfield passer. He’s hit Darius Slayton for long TDs in each of the past two games.

Matt Patricia needs to simplify the defense. The back seven has been a revolving door due to injuries and poor performance. Quit trying to play a bunch of guys. Choose some core players and let them play. Sometimes less is more.

The Eagles DL needs to come alive this week. The Giants struggle to protect the QB. There should be chances to make plays. Don’t overthink the rush. Line up your best four guys and let them attack.

Arizona manhandled the Eagles at times last week. That was embarrassing. The Eagles have a chance to go out on Sunday and play with a chip on their shoulders. This defense has some talented players. Show some pride. Be physical and play with urgency.

This game is a bit of a litmus test for the Eagles. They absolutely need to win this game. Beyond that, they really need to play well. That would help with their confidence as they head into the playoffs. A sloppy performance will just bring more questions. A loss?

I don’t even want to think about that.

http://igglesblitz.com/2024/01/game-preview-phi-at-nyg-3/