Dak is not gonna sign a long-term deal

EricAllenPick6

https://nypost.com/2020/07/15/cowboys-final-mammoth-dak-prescott-contract-offer-wont-be-enough/

I'm hearing that Dak Prescott is not happy with the money that Jerry has offered him and will be signing the franchise tender tomorrow.  That ends the possibility of getting a long-term deal done.  Dak will play this season in Dallas and will be an unrestricted free agent next year. 

I am not sure what to think about this.  On one hand, Jerry usually gets his way when it comes to money and players.  On the other hand, if you're an unrestricted free agent starting QB of Dak's caliber you have the potential to get P-A-I-D by somebody.  It may mean ending up playing the rest of your career for some garbage team, but you can cry all the way to the bank...

59 minutes ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

https://nypost.com/2020/07/15/cowboys-final-mammoth-dak-prescott-contract-offer-wont-be-enough/

I'm hearing that Dak Prescott is not happy with the money that Jerry has offered him and will be signing the franchise tender tomorrow.  That ends the possibility of getting a long-term deal done.  Dak will play this season in Dallas and will be an unrestricted free agent next year. 

I am not sure what to think about this.  On one hand, Jerry usually gets his way when it comes to money and players.  On the other hand, if you're an unrestricted free agent starting QB of Dak's caliber you have the potential to get P-A-I-D by somebody.  It may mean ending up playing the rest of your career for some garbage team, but you can cry all the way to the bank...

I gotta applaud Jerry and Stephen for not giving in to Dak, It's hard to not give in to QBs, being afraid they won't get someone better. Jerry has given in to D Law, Zeke, J. Smith, and Cooper. Giving everyone big contracts is unrealistic. It would have been funny if Joneses had given in to Dak and have their salary cap ruined by a slightly above average QB at worst.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Eh the market for an average QB isn't big right now.

There's an unhappy camper with how this went down. This is funny stuff: 

3 hours ago, gameshowfan91 said:

I gotta applaud Jerry and Stephen for not giving in to Dak, It's hard to not give in to QBs, being afraid they won't get someone better. Jerry has given in to D Law, Zeke, J. Smith, and Cooper. Giving everyone big contracts is unrealistic. It would have been funny if Joneses had given in to Dak and have their salary cap ruined by a slightly above average QB at worst.

Yeah but they gave in to Zeke.  There's is almost no way that ends up looking good.

2 hours ago, dawkins4prez said:

Yeah but they gave in to Zeke.  There's is almost no way that ends up looking good.

Zeke is better player simply as that. I love Dak but I think his agent and his side thought that he should be the highest player player in the league. 
Maholms is the best QB In the league and that why he got that monster deal. 
If Dak was that greedy then yes the Jones stuck to their guns and I am happy they did. 

If the reports of what he was offered are accurate (35-40m per year, long term deal, 110m guaranteed) then he's an idiot for turning it down. Seems like there's a whole lot of risk (injuries, Covid shutdown, future salary cap remaining stagnant or worse, etc.) and not nearly enough potential reward to turn down a deal like that. He'd have to play out of his mind this season to put himself in a position to command more money than what the Cowboys allegedly offered him. 

• Like 2

I’m conflicted. Dak is above average, but I don’t think he’s great. Honestly not sure if I would prefer he stays or leaves Dallas. 

Boo Hoo I only get XX millions per year to play a sport. I have no sympathy for these athletes when it comes to $$. Dak doesn't deserve top 3 money period. He isn't elite

21 hours ago, EricAllenPick6 said:

Dak will play this season in Dallas and will be an unrestricted free agent next year. 

He could negotiate a deal during the year or next year? Or stays next year under the tag again?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He could negotiate a deal during the year or next year? Or stays next year under the tag again?

Unless I'm mistaken, he cannot negotiate a deal during the year.  You're right, Dallas could tag him again and use the "Kirk Cousins" model to keep him under team control.  Perhaps saying "unrestricted free agent" is a bit presumptive.  

I was sort of counting on a Dak prospect having a huge impact on their cap space going forward. If they find a cheaper option, the cowboys are sitting pretty. I find it hard to imagine they will let him walk though. 

3 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

I was sort of counting on a Dak prospect having a huge impact on their cap space going forward. If they find a cheaper option, the cowboys are sitting pretty. I find it hard to imagine they will let him walk though. 

The last 5 years or so when Stephen Jones took over the business side he is much tighter with the numbers than Jerry. I remember when they lived in salary cap hell every year for over paying free agents and their own players. It took Stephen years to get out of trouble and get to the place they are now. They don't chase big name FA's but they do take care of their own. The media seams to lay this blame on the team and not on Dak? I don't understand why every media source I have read doesn't blame Dak's agent or himself for wanting more then he is worth.

Keep In mind that he makes millions with endorsements just because he is the Dallas Cowboys QB. Should be another drama filled year for Dallas but normalcy just isn't in their nature.

Maybe that's why I love them so much.

4 hours ago, QBhunter58 said:

I don;t care what you think of Dak, replacing him is not easy.  That's a young Qb who is at least franchise quality.

18 hours ago, Gch said:

Zeke is better player simply as that. I love Dak but I think his agent and his side thought that he should be the highest player player in the league. 
If Dak was that greedy then yes the Jones stuck to their guns and I am happy they did. 

Is he?  An above average Qb >> elite RB.  

On 7/15/2020 at 10:57 PM, Gch said:

Better player now, sure. But RBs have the shortest careers of any position in the NFL, and in particular the ones like Zeke who are such high volume players will break down even faster. Sure you can look at AP and Frank Gore, but they’re the exception to the rule. Most backs that take that kind of pounding early in their career don’t last long. 

It only makes sense at this point for Dallas to Cousins him. If they signed him long term for big money they would be on the hook for a long time.  Just franchise him a couple of times.  If he gets hurt, you move on.  

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2020 at 10:57 PM, Gch said:

zeke is also a rb in a passing league. the cowboys set this conflict up by overpaying for the wrong position.

19 hours ago, Gch said:

They don't chase big name FA's but they do take care of their own.

Which is why I'm so surprised at how this has gone with Dak.  I think they probably will "Cousins" him, but that was a major black eye for the Redskins, so I couldn't imagine that being a desirable path forward for the Cowboys.