Don "Wink" Martindale (DC, Giants) -- HIRED BY MICHIGAN

eaglesfan0075

In a surprising move, Don Martindale has resigned from the Giants after the early indications were that he's staying with the team.

While the Giants weren't exactly tearing up the league with their defense as of late, Martindale fits in as an experienced coordinator with 8 years of experience (1 year with the Broncos, 4 years with the Ravens, and 3 years with the Giants).

There was some talk about Martindale getting consideration for a HC position, but I think he'll end up settling for a DC job given how teams are wanting offensive minded head coaches.

Personally I'd prefer Ron Rivera and get someone from the Jim Johnson tree back into the fold but who knows if he'll want to go back to being a DC after being a HC in his last two stops.

Martindale might be the next best option right now.

heck yeah.  we'll take him

• Like 1

14 hours ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

In a surprising move, Don Martindale has resigned from the Giants after the early indications were that he's staying with the team.

While the Giants weren't exactly tearing up the league with their defense as of late, Martindale fits in as an experienced coordinator with 8 years of experience (1 year with the Broncos, 4 years with the Ravens, and 3 years with the Giants).

There was some talk about Martindale getting consideration for a HC position, but I think he'll end up settling for a DC job given how teams are wanting offensive minded head coaches.

Personally I'd prefer Ron Rivera and get someone from the Jim Johnson tree back into the fold but who knows if he'll want to go back to being a DC after being a HC in his last two stops.

Martindale might be the next best option right now.

I think he is done coaching. He has gone through a lot dealing with 2 sheety organisations where he was set up to fail as well as the health issues. At 62 I think he calls it a day and retires. 

I had a look at why Martindale left the Ravens and there a few reports. 

1. He had one year to run on his contract and was going to leave anyway so they thought they could get in early by finding a replacement (and MacDonald has been exceptional)

2. He eventually wanted a HC position and needed to step out to try and get one

I don't think he will get a HC job and the Eagles seem like the perfect spot to try and launchpad into a potential HC position. If he can turn the sheetshow that was this Eagles defense into a competent unit he may get that job. 

Doug may have fired all his defensive coaches as well to try and beat the Eagles to the punch so I would think he either ends up in Philly or coaching the Jags D

Martindale wants the Giants to fire him so he can go elsewhere.  I would be trying to get Martindale assuming he wants to come here.

And Doug did fire everyone on his defense staff it seems so it could be where he can bring in Martindale and let him choose whoever he wants for the defense in Jacksonville whereas that might not be the case as much here. 

If the Giants don't fire him..I'm sure they will have a list of teams he can't go to.

The fans may want his constant blitz style, but that doesn’t fit in with the Eagles analytics. No shot that happens. 

17 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

The fans may want his constant blitz style, but that doesn’t fit in with the Eagles analytics. No shot that happens. 

Agreed. And whilst we may think blitzing is great because it brings pressure... It isn't like the Giants had this star defense as a result.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I’m so sick of watching us sit back in coverage and get taken apart. Would love a more aggressive defense. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Road to Victory said:

I’m so sick of watching us sit back in coverage and get taken apart. Would love a more aggressive defense. 

I think we are all with you there. We are all sick of these soft defenses that play soft schemes and coverage.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Agreed. And whilst we may think blitzing is great because it brings pressure... It isn't like the Giants had this star defense as a result.

I don’t disagree, but it’s not like the Giants have a great amount of defensive talent either. Still I feel like Martindale is probably too far the other way on the blitz scale. Ultimately I feel like the Eagles need to give up these multiple front looks and just embrace a 3-4 system.  Howie is going to need to get some legit inside linebackers and stop employing and defensive coordinators who think putting Reddick in coverage is a great idea. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EazyEaglez said:

I don’t disagree, but it’s not like the Giants have a great amount of defensive talent either. Still I feel like Martindale is probably too far the other way on the blitz scale. Ultimately I feel like the Eagles need to give up these multiple front looks and just embrace a 3-4 system.  Howie is going to need to get some legit inside linebackers and stop employing and defensive coordinators who think putting Reddick in coverage is a great idea. 

I do wonder whether there’s a time coming where this whole thing needs a reset. Look Howie has put together some really good rosters and obviously has taken us to 2 SBs (with 1 ring). But I do wonder if we need a complete reset at some point. New ideas with the ability to look at some different positions that other teams place importance on.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I do wonder whether there’s a time coming where this whole thing needs a reset. Look Howie has put together some really good rosters and obviously has taken us to 2 SBs (with 1 ring). But I do wonder if we need a complete reset at some point. New ideas with the ability to look at some different positions that other teams place importance on.

That goes up to Howie and Lurie, but they kind of hit the reset button with Chip a few years ago, and they bottomed out with Doug. They have a few older players they need to replace, but really it comes down to Howie needing to do better with his draft selections. He butchered the WR and secondary positions so badly for years he needed to trade for and sign older players. He still hasn’t put any kind of effort into the linebacker position and so far isn’t willing to invest long term with talent. They aren’t willing to hire coaches that might want power after Chip Kelly. The thing is they have been winning doing it their way so I highly doubt there will be any changes. The next HC likely won’t hire his coordinators. I wouldn’t be surprised to see at least one hired before the HC. The HC process will be long and we will watch all of the great candidates get hired and the Eagles will hire some obscure coach that most people would not have even thought to hire. That person will be on the offensive side of the ball, and probably has poor public speaking skills. They have a type. 😂

26 minutes ago, eaglesfan0075 said:

https://www.nj.com/sports/2024/01/wink-martindale-gone-from-giants-could-land-with-ex-eagles-coach.html

Looks like the Jags are gonna get the first crack at Martindale. He's going down to Jacksonville for an interview

The fact Doug wants to bring him in is just more proof the Eagles defense is based on their analytics philosophy rather than any idea of any actual coach.