Edgerrin Cooper (OLB, Texas A&M) -- DRAFTED BY GREEN BAY #45

HazletonEagle

Edgerrin Cooper went from unknown to most hyped LB name in the draft in a matter of 2 months.

First popped up on my radar due to this podcast, LB segment starts at 1:04:00

Highlights

You know Howie doesn't care about LB

47 minutes ago, Godfather said:

But selecting one in round 2 seems like a remote possibility. 

Cooper is a hot name right now. But lets see who ends up in round 2. 

Trotter, Carter, Colson, and Cooper. 

Whole NFL devalues off ball LB in the draft. Need special size and speed to go top 10. Most of them are 2nd half of the round picks. Unlikely more than 2 go in round 1. Maybe only 1 gets selected.

See where theyre falling after the senior bowl and other all star bowls, combine, etc. 

2 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

But selecting one in round 2 seems like a remote possibility. 

Cooper is a hot name right now. But lets see who ends up in round 2. 

Trotter, Carter, Colson, and Cooper. 

Whole NFL devalues off ball LB in the draft. Need special size and speed to go top 10. Most of them are 2nd half of the round picks. Unlikely more than 2 go in round 1. Maybe only 1 gets selected.

See where theyre falling after the senior bowl and other all star bowls, combine, etc. 

I read that Carter was going back to Clemson.

Well it seems about time that Howie changes his philosophy on LB's..the top defenses have strong linebacking

with the 49ers, Ravens even the Chiefs right at the top. we can't keep doing the plug and play system. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Breeze 44 said:

Well it seems about time that Howie changes his philosophy on LB's..the top defenses have strong linebacking

with the 49ers, Ravens even the Chiefs right at the top. we can't keep doing the plug and play system. 

Kendricks/Hicks (Chip?)/Bradham was a credible LB room - so Howie’s history doesn’t preclude the position from being upgraded… just in his way which is far from a loaded deck.

Can't make trades, can't make completely uninformed late round picks, c'mon PFF.

image.png.1e87d5b3e3718d8ea09d9936e7c6552d.png

22 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Kendricks/Hicks (Chip?)/Bradham was a credible LB room - so Howie’s history doesn’t preclude the position from being upgraded… just in his way which is far from a loaded deck.

Isn't that what I'm saying? In all the time Howie has been GM he has not vaued the LB room..with the exception of drafting Hicks in the 2nd

and that might have been Chip..he's really done nothing. I'm saying he needs to ditch that philosophy. 

9 minutes ago, Breeze 44 said:

Isn't that what I'm saying? In all the time Howie has been GM he has not vaued the LB room..with the exception of drafting Hicks in the 2nd

and that might have been Chip..he's really done nothing. I'm saying he needs to ditch that philosophy. 

Kendricks was a 2nd, Hicks was a 3rd and Bradham was a mid-tier FA iirc (like Kyzir, value-wise).  If Howie brings in a mid-tier LB and drafts an LB in 2nd, that would be a good outcome that is actually possible even under the the restrictions he self imposes.

On 1/9/2024 at 6:17 PM, Godfather said:

Doing the same thing and expecting different results.....

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 7:10 PM, HazletonEagle said:

Whole NFL devalues off ball LB in the draft.

On 1/10/2024 at 7:14 AM, Breeze 44 said:

This is the problem, just because the whole NFL devalues LBs doesn't mean the Eagles should also, ditto for the RB position, only teams that know the value of all positions are successful, devaluing any position is stupid. It's so funny, RBs and LBs has always been the heart and soul of  offenses and defenses, all of a sudden they're devalued positions.

All the Eagles need to do is review last years SB, LB Nick Bolton was the Eagle killer in that game, take him out of that game and the Eagles win.

• Like 1

Other than Trotter I don't recall having a dominating LB corps since we Seth, B&E, and William Thomas. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2024 at 5:17 PM, EagleVA said:

Doing the same thing and expecting different results.....

That's how we got here... doing the same thing that won them a Super Bowl and expecting the same results.

22 minutes ago, judunno said:

That's how we got here... doing the same thing that won them a Super Bowl and expecting the same results.

Lets see another team give up 500+ yards in a SB win, unless the NFL goes to two-hand-touch we won't see that again in our lifetime.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, EagleVA said:

Lets see another team give up 500+ yards in a SB win, unless the NFL goes to two-hand-touch we won't see that again in our lifetime.

Guess you missed the Pro-Bowl :) We're getting there. (NE gave up 500+ yards in that game as well)

On 1/10/2024 at 11:43 AM, Waiting4Someday said:

Can't make trades, can't make completely uninformed late round picks, c'mon PFF.

image.png.1e87d5b3e3718d8ea09d9936e7c6552d.png

that is exactly who I want with both 2nd round picks

7 minutes ago, astrofed said:

that is exactly who I want with both 2nd round picks

Legette isn’t jumbo AJ Brown sized like I hoped - but this draft has a nice group of WRs, likely get the flavor you want in each of the first three rounds.

2 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Legette isn’t AJ Brown sized like I hoped - but this draft has a nice group of WRs, likely get the flavor you want in each of the first three rounds.

There are several WRs that should go in the first, but I truly don't understand the love to Ladd, I don't want him, Legette definitely want, and as he should be 1st rounder, but with all the other WRs, he will most likely slip into the 2nd, and in the 3rd, if we don't get Legette, I would love Dez Walker. or Cowing in the 5th

14 minutes ago, astrofed said:

There are several WRs that should go in the first, but I truly don't understand the love to Ladd, I don't want him, Legette definitely want, and as he should be 1st rounder, but with all the other WRs, he will most likely slip into the 2nd, and in the 3rd, if we don't get Legette, I would love Dez Walker.

McConkey has really exceptional start stop ability to get separation, and is an excellent route runner - so as a third option out of slot he could be very useful. Now does Jalen Hurts really spread the ball around… no. So an AJ Brown replacement/long term investment like Legette makes sense. He’s a bit older, a one-year wonder and a work in progress in terms of the route tree, so that’s the reasoning for why he’s knocked down a bit. Dez/Quez is an easy separator due to his speed - but he fights the ball, and not the defender… which we’ve seen plenty of already. 

On 2/17/2024 at 8:30 PM, Waiting4Someday said:

McConkey has really exceptional start stop ability to get separation, and is an excellent route runner - so as a third option out of slot he could be very useful. Now does Jalen Hurts really spread the ball around… no. So an AJ Brown replacement/long term investment like Legette makes sense. He’s a bit older, a one-year wonder and a work in progress in terms of the route tree, so that’s the reasoning for why he’s knocked down a bit. Dez/Quez is an easy separator due to his speed - but he fights the ball, and not the defender… which we’ve seen plenty of already. 

I don't think AJ is going anywhere

Best LB in the draft in my eyes. Not sure how he is in coverage. Trotter has the edge on zone coverage just based on the initial review

On 2/27/2024 at 5:13 PM, philafan4o8 said:

Best LB in the draft in my eyes. Not sure how he is in coverage. Trotter has the edge on zone coverage just based on the initial review

Payton Wilson is the best.  He is proven in coverage. Junior Colson is said by some to be the best coverage LB.

Cooper is untested in coverage.  A complete protection.  You just hope his athleticism helps him be successful there in the NFL.

I find it difficult to listen to all these people parrot that he is the best LB in the draft when he has such a huge question mark in his game.  We literally have no idea how he can be in coverage. The risk makes me want a couple different LBs over him. 

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

Payton Wilson is the best.  He is proven in coverage. Junior Colson is said by some to be the best coverage LB.

Cooper is untested in coverage.  A complete protection.  You just hope his athleticism helps him be successful there in the NFL.

I find it difficult to listen to all these people parrot that he is the best LB in the draft when he has such a huge question mark in his game.  We literally have no idea how he can be in coverage. The risk makes me want a couple different LBs over him. 

Liufau is also solid on coverage.  He is on my wish list.  Don't know if he'll make it to our first pick in rd 5 ... I'm thinking we may have to move into rd 4 to get him.

9 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Liufau is also solid on coverage.  He is on my wish list.  Don't know if he'll make it to our first pick in rd 5 ... I'm thinking we may have to move into rd 4 to get him.

agree. big liufai fan. i dont know why hes not ranked higher. He is a beast.