Cooper DeJean (CB, Iowa) -- DRAFTED BY EAGLES! #40

HazletonEagle

Cooper DeJean is a 6'1'' 207lb CB from Iowa. Excellent athlete. MAYBE a little stiff and some may project him to safety. Might be best as a zone CB.

He is a versatile player who also offers explosive punt return ability, and can really make things happen with the ball in his hands after INTs.

Big and physical at CB. This defense needs more dogs. 

He may have been a high 1st round pick, but got injured later in the season, and might not fit all teams. He may end up in our range assuming we have an early exit from playoffs.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 4:37 PM, HazletonEagle said:

Cooper DeJean is a 6'1'' 207lb CB from Iowa. Excellent athlete. MAYBE a little stiff and some may project him to safety. 

I think the Eagles should look at Ringo at safety

Can't go wrong with this pick.

Bonus: He's a good tackler.

• Like 1

On 1/9/2024 at 4:37 PM, HazletonEagle said:

Cooper DeJean is a 6'1'' 207lb CB from Iowa. Excellent athlete. MAYBE a little stiff and some may project him to safety. Might be best as a zone CB.

He is a versatile player who also offers explosive punt return ability, and can really make things happen with the ball in his hands after INTs.

Big and physical at CB. This defense needs more dogs. 

He may have been a high 1st round pick, but got injured later in the season, and might not fit all teams. He may end up in our range assuming we have an early exit from playoffs.

DeJean competes right away with JB/Ringo.  At Safety we get a vet like Darnell Savage who has experience in this defensive system.  Based on your book of Fangio take, a guy like Beau Brade makes sense to develop… Jewel in the short-term with Dean competing along with a rookie (Edge, Wilson) at LB.

More competition in the back 7 with the ancillary benefit of better depth seems like a strategy to me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pgcd3 said:

Would love this possibility right up until the pick is an OL

Has Stout lost his golden touch, where he needs a 1st round pick and years of development to mold a starter? I hear ya.

10 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Has Stout lost his golden touch, where he needs a 1st round pick and years of development to mold a starter? I hear ya.

Honestly I feel like DeSean is a guy they could take if he doesn't rise above 22 but the OL are strong and they could be tempted to go RT if their top secondary targets are gone

5 hours ago, pgcd3 said:

Honestly I feel like DeSean is a guy they could take if he doesn't rise above 22 but the OL are strong and they could be tempted to go RT if their top secondary targets are gone

I wouldn’t blame the FO going RT if top CBs are gone, as it is a good class (to the point that guys may be available in the 2nd).

new highlight vid dropped yesterday

• 2 weeks later...

#23 on Dane Brugler’s top 100, isn’t that convenient👀

He looks good and solid to me. A good tackler who’s going to make some plays but I’m not blown away. Maybe due to his injury he becomes a bargain for someone in a middle round? But I’m not sure I’d be spending a first on him. His coverage isn’t the best due to being quite stiff. 

4 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

He looks good and solid to me. A good tackler who’s going to make some plays but I’m not blown away. Maybe due to his injury he becomes a bargain for someone in a middle round? But I’m not sure I’d be spending a first on him. His coverage isn’t the best due to being quite stiff. 

the bargain due to his injury is potentially getting him at 22 rather than seeing him go in the top 10-15.

On 1/30/2024 at 3:16 PM, judunno said:

Also a pretty good punt returner 

Covey is getting that job done, but this skill translates well to being able to do something with the ball after an INT (Dejean has a good sense of where the ball is and tracks it well).

6 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

the bargain due to his injury is potentially getting him at 22 rather than seeing him go in the top 10-15.

And look most of you guys know more than me and the scouts and the analysts definitely do but I just don’t see a first round player in those highlights.

3 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

And look most of you guys know more than me and the scouts and the analysts definitely do but I just don’t see a first round player in those highlights.

How Dare You GIFs | GIFDB.com

How Dare You James Franco GIF - How Dare You James Franco GIFs

• Haha 1

Quick rundown on Dejean’s athletic background - pretty fly for white guy.

On 2/17/2024 at 8:03 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

To be fair he looks more of a 1st round prospect than Ennis Rakestraw, whose rating absolutely baffles me.

I think Id compare him to Patrick Peterson in that Peterson was a little tight hipped and some thought he should be a safety. But Peterson proved to be fine enough in man coverage and has carved out a long CB career.

DeJean is going to be slightly slow flipping hips to turn and run, but he has adequate length and plenty of make up speed to make up for it. He can survive in man. Be a fantastic zone CB making him viable for either starting CB role in this defense which utilizes both.

He can and probably will start right away at CB. But he doesnt have to, and can provide depth at literally any position in the secondary from outside, to nickel, to safety, and even some hybrid nickel/LB or S/LB roles. And if hes not starting, he can provide a new dynamic on kick returns that the team has been missing for years and years.

Right now most of the projections are 1) Arnold 2) Mitchell 3) Wiggins 4) Dejean 5) Kool-Aid 6) Rakestraww 7) Lassiter. Their mocks we would always need to trade up for Arnold and Mitchell and sometimes Wiggins. If those guys are gone and Howie doesn’t want Cooper maybe they can work out a trade back with Arizona at 27 and pick 35 ( they get pick 50 and 160 and … ). We then get Darius Robinson at 27 and Kamari Lassiter at 35. 1st rounders need to contribute right away unless they are QB’s so no stinking OT waiting around for a few years, that’s a waste

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2024 at 9:03 PM, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

Guess he could slip but I love this kid.

Don’t know if he’s better suited to play corner or safety in the long run but I do see a first round prospect nonetheless.

I even think during the draft proces he became a bit of an afterthought…maybe even underrated a bit…

I see a Trent McDuffie kinda prospect whether at corner or safety at the next level and at #22 is definitely on my short list with the likes of Amari Mims, Tyler Guyton, Nate Wiggins, Chop Robinson and Laiatu Latu.