Ladd McConkey (WR, Georgia) -- DRAFTED BY L.A. CHARGERS #34

HazletonEagle

Ladd McConkey is an absolute beaut. 

We need a reliable slot WR so today I posted the McMillan thread, as well as this one. I think they are different players. McMillan is your traditional WR who can line up and beat you from anywhere mano y mano. 

McConkey looks like a guy who is going to be scheme dependent. He has thrived on manufactured touches. 49ers, Rams... this guy will beast. 

Here, it feels like his talents may be wasted unless/until we change OC, and possibly QB. But, hes still on my list for now because we still have hope for a new OC next year.

Looks like a sneaky fast player who you can put all over the formation and attack from all different angles. Nice RAC skills. Has some return ability too. Hes so good, Rashard Mendenhall thinks hes black. Really fun player.

Highlights

• Like 1

I’m kind of on the fence here between wanting a slot-type receiver that could factor in as another option in this offense quickly -or- an X type receiver that is more of a long-term investment / injury insurance.

The fact that this offense/Jalen concentrates it’s targets to AJ/Smitty and outside the numbers makes me wary of trying to provide more weapons that might go unused at the expense of other positional needs.

9 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

I’m kind of on the fence here between wanting a slot-type receiver that could factor in as another option in this offense quickly -or- an X type receiver that is more of a long-term investment / injury insurance.

The fact that this offense/Jalen concentrates it’s targets to AJ/Smitty and outside the numbers makes me wary of trying to provide more weapons that might go unused at the expense of other positional needs.

Yeah I watched Ladd and figured he would never get the ball here... but we don't know what the offense will be like next year so...

8 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Yeah I watched Ladd and figured he would never get the ball here... but we don't know what the offense will be like next year so...

If the scheme does not change significantly… I suppose RT, RB and backup rQB would be where I’d go offensively before WR depth (and OZ is fine value given the reduced role).

58 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

If the scheme does not change significantly… I suppose RT, RB and backup rQB would be where I’d go offensively before WR depth (and OZ is fine value given the reduced role).

You are probably right. 

I guess we will know more in a few weeks when we do our coach firings, or not.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

You are probably right. 

I guess we will know more in a few weeks when we do our coach firings, or not.

Fixing the scheme doesn’t seem like an impossible mission with Nick/BJ, the nightmare would be that the QB is holding back the scheme and what we are seeing this season is tailored to what Jalen can do… in that case we are hoping for another leap this offseason.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Fixing the scheme doesn’t seem like an impossible mission with Nick/BJ, the nightmare would be that the QB is holding back the scheme and what we are seeing this season is tailored to what Jalen can do… in that case we are hoping for another leap this offseason.

Yeah I think Johnson and Hurts are both the problem

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seems like Moore likes big slots but his guy is intriguing.

He and Pearsall are said to be the best route runners at the senior bowl. 

I want a bigger 3rd WR. So I wouldn't reach for McConkey in the second round. 

The kid is a football player. Played rb, qb and pr along with wr in high school. Fearless with the ball in his hands. Good speed, good hands, and much like Cooper Kupp in college, he really trusts his route-running to get open. 

YouTube has all his targets and runs from 2022 and 2023. There’s a game vs Kent St in 2022 where he was just AWFUL. He had 4 drops, (2 could’ve been tds) and 2 fumbles. Then he dropped a couple passes vs Missouri the next week. After that, he seemed to really hanker down and concentrate and didn’t drop another that season or 2023. 

I really don’t like his ability to catch passes away from his frame. He struggles with contested catches. But I think he’s gonna be a good pro if you have an OC who can get him on the move with ways to give him space to work his route tree. 

• 3 weeks later...

Ladd is exactly what we need in the slot. The eagles have made some bad decisions at slot just basing it on attributes. Quez (fast), Julio (big and fact), OZ (shifty), etc. Ladd is a producer. Elite route running and deceptive speed. Less likely to bust at slot WR when you get an elite route runner with good hands. People think Ladd is a reach in the 2nd route but that is not the case. 2nd round would be a steal. I say it every year, Eagles need to draft guys that produce year 1 regardless of position. No need to reach for position of need that likely will not pan out.

On 1/12/2024 at 10:13 PM, HazletonEagle said:

Ladd McConkey is an absolute beaut. 

Yep, more moves than Ex-Lax, just what the Dr. prescribed.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...