Marist Liufau (LB, Notre Dame) -- DRAFTED BY DALLAS #87

HazletonEagle

There are not a lot of good LBs these days coming in with size like this guy. 6'2'' 235 is now a "big" LB and this guy is still fast and has an excellent coverage grade from PFF. 

Took this screenshot from YT. Look at the coverage snaps, and yards given up.

image.thumb.png.cc5a441accbc1445285873dc13d20cee.png

By the way, from Hawaii with big Polamalu hair. He flies around the field. Fun to watch. Feels like big time star potential here. I have to have this guy on our defense. 

some highlights

• 3 weeks later...

With the CBs gone, went a different direction BPA-wise in the 1st - also rumblings that Fletch might be done. Liufau looks like a 4th rounder to me, as a competent LB with OK athleticism - so just playing the game with the 5th round selection here.

IMG_8172.jpeg

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Waiting4Someday said:

With the CBs gone, went a different direction BPA-wise in the 1st - also rumblings that Fletch might be done. Liufau looks like a 4th rounder to me, as a competent LB with OK athleticism - so just playing the game with the 5th round selection here.

IMG_8172.jpeg

That's a very eagles draft.  And still very nice!

• 2 weeks later...

Look who no one is still talking about but lands #5 in this top 5 LB prospects vid by ourlads

• 3 weeks later...

Looked pretty smooth in the drills, OK speed, 34 1/4” arms that’s real nice.

21 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Looked pretty smooth in the drills, OK speed, 34 1/4” arms that’s real nice.

the time looked just ok but if you saw the run, he looked like he was flying. I think it was a slow get out of the blocks. His chase down speed on the field will prove to be fantastic. 

Very nice day for him. And I think my buy Jalyx Hunt as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

the time looked just ok but if you saw the run, he looked like he was flying. I think it was a slow get out of the blocks. His chase down speed on the field will prove to be fantastic. 

Very nice day for him. And I think my buy Jalyx Hunt as well.

Looks like ML did well coming out of the blocks based on the box score.

IMG_8206.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Looks like ML did well coming out of the blocks based on the box score.

IMG_8206.jpeg

Its odd to me that his size grade is just good. I wonder how far these are going back. In modern day LBs, 230+ is a giant. And 6'2'' is pretty darn big too. Thats maybe not elite but seems it should be great. Not good. 

Much more interested in tackling and coverage ability than height and weight for a LB (unless the player is 5'8" 185 lbs). 

Just now, time2rock said:

Much more interested in tackling and coverage ability than height and weight for a LB (unless the player is 5'8" 185 lbs). 

they you may like Liufau more than Cooper. Liufau covers well and Cooper really never covered at all so is a complete projection there based on his athleticism.

13 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

they you may like Liufau more than Cooper. Liufau covers well and Cooper really never covered at all so is a complete projection there based on his athleticism.

I know there are several that are rated higher by the "experts" but ML is one of my favorite OLBs in this draft.  I don't know that Howie will pull the trigger on 2 LBs (maybe starting with 9 picks and knowing we need LBs boosts those odds a tad) but I'd be happy with Trot on day 2 and ML on day 3.  

1 minute ago, time2rock said:

I know there are several that are rated higher by the "experts" but ML is one of my favorite OLBs in this draft.  I don't know that Howie will pull the trigger on 2 LBs (maybe starting with 9 picks and knowing we need LBs boosts those odds a tad) but I'd be happy with Trot on day 2 and ML on day 3.  

Agreed. I love Luifau but I wouldnt be comfortable with him as the only LB move. Id like it if he were our 2nd LB selected. Or if we already signed a good starter, I think Id be ok with it.

24 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

Agreed. I love Luifau but I wouldnt be comfortable with him as the only LB move. Id like it if he were our 2nd LB selected. Or if we already signed a good starter, I think Id be ok with it.

Yup we need 2.  I am OK with adding 2 rooks (rather than adding a vet as 1 of those) that can grow together and develop in Fangio's system.  It would be nice to have some continuity there and have 2 players under control for the next 4 years on cheaper rookie contracts.  I don't want them to count on Dean so adding Trot makes a lot of sense.  If Dean stays healthy then great and maybe we can move him for a late pick.  

10 minutes ago, time2rock said:

Yup we need 2.  I am OK with adding 2 rooks (rather than adding a vet as 1 of those) that can grow together and develop in Fangio's system.  It would be nice to have some continuity there and have 2 players under control for the next 4 years on cheaper rookie contracts.  I don't want them to count on Dean so adding Trot makes a lot of sense.  If Dean stays healthy then great and maybe we can move him for a late pick.  

Interesting that Barrett Carter was not at the combine. Was he not invited? Injured? Hes the other clemson LB that may be even better than Trotter yet is not talked about.

3 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Its odd to me that his size grade is just good. I wonder how far these are going back. In modern day LBs, 230+ is a giant. And 6'2'' is pretty darn big too. Thats maybe not elite but seems it should be great. Not good. 

I think the data goes back to 1987, so yeah there’s a bit of a red shift there.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, HazletonEagle said:

Interesting that Barrett Carter was not at the combine. Was he not invited? Injured? Hes the other clemson LB that may be even better than Trotter yet is not talked about.

He's returning to Clemson for another year.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, time2rock said:

He's returning to Clemson for another year.

I eventually figured that out. Forgot.  Thanks. 

• 1 month later...