Eagles News: CB Avonte Maddox transitioning to safety for Wild Card game vs. Bucs

time2rock

Eagles News: CB Avonte Maddox transitioning to safety for Wild Card game vs. Bucs

image.png.615b1533717bfef1d60be1643ba41c25.png

Desperate times call for desperate measures.

The Eagles lost rookie safety Sydney Brown for the year due to a torn ACL suffered in last week’s loss against the Giants. Additionally, starting safety Reed Blankenship missed his second straight practice and his status remains doubtful for Monday’s Wild Card game vs. Tampa Bay.

With Justin Evans on IR, that leaves Kevin Byard as the only healthy safety on the 53-man roster. When speaking to reporters on Friday, Byard stated that slot CB Avonte Maddox will play safety alongside him on Monday night.

Maddox has filled in at safety in the past, using his 4.39 speed to help the Eagles in a pinch. Most of his action at safety came during Maddox’s rookie year when Jim Schwartz threw him back there out of necessity.

De-facto defensive coordinator Matt Patricia will likely turn to Bradley Roby, who the Eagles signed back in October, to play nickel. Roby hasn’t seen many snaps since Maddox’s return to the lineup (he was a healthy scratch vs. Arizona).

In nine appearances for Philadelphia this season, Roby has allowed 20 catches on 33 targets for 189 yards, 0 TDs, and a 76.5 passer rating. The 10-year veteran may be responsible for keeping Bucs WR Chris Godwin in check on Monday.

image.thumb.png.772e06cfac01d4da3d8572d376fab8e6.png

https://thelibertyline.com/2024/01/12/eagles-avonte-maddox-play-safety/

He should play S the rest of his career.  He is too small and brittle to cross the middle of the field.  At S he has the play in front of him and can choose his contact rather 

than getting hit from all angles

I have to be honest I like this. Maddox is a good player and he’s played well at slot CB but I really liked him at S. In fact I wanted him to play S after his rookie year when they were experimenting with him at outside CB etc. He’s got the speed and instincts to be a really good S.

11 hours ago, UK_EaglesFan89 said:

I have to be honest I like this. Maddox is a good player and he’s played well at slot CB but I really liked him at S. In fact I wanted him to play S after his rookie year when they were experimenting with him at outside CB etc. He’s got the speed and instincts to be a really good S.

Absolutely. I agree