Payton Wilson (LB, NC State) -- DRAFTED BY PITTSBURGH #98

HazletonEagle

Payton Wilson is a big 5th year senior LB for NC State. Bednarick Award winner. He is listed at 6'4'' 238lb.

High school Lacrosse player and State Champion wrestler.

Season ending knee injury in summer 2018 Had surgery. 2019 he lead the team in tackles despite coming off the bench in all but 1 game. 2020 season lead the team with 11 tackles for loss while in coverage targeted 22 times allowing only 4.5 yards per attempt and a 10.8 QBR. Allowed 0 TDs. Also had a 17.6% pressure rate on pass rush snaps.

2021 had surgery on both shoulders missing spring workouts. Then had a season ending shoulder injury. 2022 comeback player of the year finalist. And a huge year in 2023.

I think you see the issue here. There will be injury concerns. I wonder if this guy is going to be available in round 3 and become an excellent all around LB like Hicks was for us. Ill take the chance. We are starved for LB and he may actually be the best LB in this draft. 

He shows versatility lining up in many different areas of the formation. He is a tackling machine racking up 138 tackles this season. But he is a play maker all over the field as well. In the last 2 seasons he has 10.5 sacks (6 this year), and 4 INTs (3 this year). He is always around the ball, and looks to have above average speed for the position, supposedly sub 4.5 40 guy.

• Like 1

New highlight vid was just posted about 4 hours ago. Didnt watch to see how different it is from the one I posted. But JustBombs vids are always worthy of a watch.

Just what we need. 

Might be worth a 2nd round selection.

• Like 1

Size and speed is what we need at that position, he looks like he has both but how far down will those injuries knock him down the ladder.

3 hours ago, Breeze 44 said:

Size and speed is what we need at that position, he looks like he has both but how far down will those injuries knock him down the ladder.

And someone that can Fn tackle smh.

6 hours ago, Breeze 44 said:

Im thinking potential 3rd rounder. But wondering since he is so good if he goes in round 2. He looks like another Van der Esch. But hopefully with better health in the league.

1 hour ago, HazletonEagle said:

Im thinking potential 3rd rounder. But wondering since he is so good if he goes in round 2. He looks like another Van der Esch. But hopefully with better health in the league.

Drew Sanders went in the early 3rd, has a similar body type but was more of a project at LB.  I think based on the production/potential and ignoring the injury history Wilson is an early 2nd rounder.  Top-75.

46 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Drew Sanders went in the early 3rd, has a similar body type but was more of a project at LB.  I think based on the production/potential and ignoring the injury history Wilson is an early 2nd rounder.  Top-75.

I think so too. He's too good.  3rd round is a pipedream right now that probably only happens if medical flags something at the combine. Although that seems like a possibility.

Did well in coverage, his experienced showed - tough to really stand out as a LB in these practices as they are just thudding for the most part.

Wilson has a problem tackling high, I wonder if that is related to his shoulder injuries (either he doesn’t want to take too much impact -or- poor technique is the cause of the issue).

6 minutes ago, Waiting4Someday said:

Did well in coverage, his experienced showed - tough to really stand out as a LB in these practices as they are just thudding for the most part.

Wilson has a problem tackling high, I wonder if that is related to his shoulder injuries (either he doesn’t want to take too much impact -or- poor technique is the cause of the issue).

hes real good. not sure about the technique thats a good thought.

Cedric Gray made a few plays in coverage in the game too. But there was a play that really bothered me about Gray. One of the QBs scrambled, and Gray just stood there waiting for the QB to come to him. It was enough yards for the 1st down. Regardless of where the line to gain is, I hate passive tacklers that wait for the ball carrier to come to them. I want a tackler to be the aggressor and go attack the ball carrier.

When flat footed waiting, you lose the battle of inertia. The ball carrier's momentum is going to carry him forward as he falls for extra yards. You cant possibly knock him back. Also, flat footed, that guy is moving at speed, its too easy for him to juke you as well. You have to take a proper angle and go put him down.

I HATED seeing that passiveness from a big LB.

5 minutes ago, HazletonEagle said:

hes real good. not sure about the technique thats a good thought.

Cedric Gray made a few plays in coverage in the game too. But there was a play that really bothered me about Gray. One of the QBs scrambled, and Gray just stood there waiting for the QB to come to him. It was enough yards for the 1st down. Regardless of where the line to gain is, I hate passive tacklers that wait for the ball carrier to come to them. I want a tackler to be the aggressor and go attack the ball carrier.

When flat footed waiting, you lose the battle of inertia. The ball carrier's momentum is going to carry him forward as he falls for extra yards. You cant possibly knock him back. Also, flat footed, that guy is moving at speed, its too easy for him to juke you as well. You have to take a proper angle and go put him down.

I HATED seeing that passiveness from a big LB.

Absolutely, most of the coveted LBs run 4.6 and below - but if you aren’t going anywhere (due passivity/lack of instincts) what’s the point, JAG play at best from elite athletes.

#3 LB prospect in this vid. Not bad for an injury riddled college career. I insist hes really LB1 downgraded due to injury history. 

• Like 1

Dane Brugler has Wilson at 77, he’s not making it to our 3rd round comp pick… not enough college LBs know how to play the position.

From TDN's 5 LBs who can boost draft stock at the combine

PAYTON WILSON, NC STATE

Payton Wilson would arguably be the unquestioned LB1 if not for some previous medical red flags. Wilson was completely healthy throughout the 2023 campaign and reached his potential, totaling 138 tackles and 6.0 sacks. Wilson could answer medical and athletic-related questions at the NFL Combine.

Wilson previously ran the 40-yard dash in 4.49 seconds, per Feldman. That speedy result would have finished fourth place among all participating linebackers at the 2023 NFL Combine. Wilson can also match any linebacker in the bench press and has broad-jumped 9 feet, 8.5 inches. A healthy Wilson possesses All-Pro potential.

I would definitely have interest with one of those second round picks 

• Like 1

4.43 40 at the combine. Freakbeast.

• 1 month later...