More Coaches

time2rock

More Coaches

Posted: February 3rd, 2024 | Author: Tommy Lawlor

The Eagles are continuing to fill out their coaching staff. Instead of finding Nick Sirianni connections, they are leaning on their coordinators for these roles.

image.png.e22acbb16c26652a3db153e267faf413.png

Nussmeier was the QB coach for Moore in both Dallas and Los Angeles. Nussmeier did a good job of getting Dak Prescott to play at a high level. He knows how to work with Moore and run that offensive system. Nussmeier also has ties to Jeff Stoutland.

https://twitter.com/ZBerm/status/1753890589349662936

Stoutland and Nussmeier were at Michigan State together from 2003-2005. This familiarilty is a good thing. You need coaches to be able to get on the same page. This is true in terms of scheme, but also in terms of working together. Running an offense is a collaboration. Coaches must be able to come up with a gameplan that serves the offense the best and not specific agendas.

Stoutland is the run game coordinator. Moore and Nussmeier will have a major hand in running the passing game. Those elements must complement each other, especially in the age of RPOs. Nussmeier’s experience with both of them should help the group to work well together.

As for the defensive side of the ball…

image.png.ff305dd481b1b92f33cf8500091c7a30.png

We thought Karl Scott was coming to Philly, but he stayed in Seattle. Kasper has experience with both Fangio and the Eagles. He was a Quality Control Coach for the Birds in 2021-2022. He then went to Miami to coach safeties under Fangio.

Fangio now has Clint Hurtt to run the DL and Kasper to coach the safeties. Both guys know his system. They can help mesh the front and back of the defense. As we’ve talked about, there was way too much confusion last year. The units didn’t work well together. That shouldn’t be the case this year. Fangio is an experienced DC who knows his scheme inside-out. He’s got coaches that know his system and how he likes to coach.

The defense should be much more organized unit this season.

No surprise here.

image.png.e5c240dc886740f9691c02d54a8b0ec4.png

Good luck to McDonald.

Olivia Reiner wrote a good story on Fangio after talking to DB Justin Simmons, who played for Fangio in Denver.

"I owe a lot of my success to Vic and his staff, because just the way they implemented their defense and made me learn the game in a whole new perspective,” the 30-year-old Simmons said before Friday’s practice at his second-career Pro Bowl appearance. "It was a whole new defense, it was a whole new way of learning. So Philadelphia’s got a great one.”

You like to hear stuff like that from former players.

More Senior Bowl Talk

The Eagles had various personnel in Mobile, but I never saw any coaches.

The Senior Bowl game and practices are now at Whitney-Hancock Stadium, a modern facility. The old stadium (Ladd-Peebles) had one entrance for everyone. Coaches, scouts and media walked in together. Coaches and scouts would sit on both sides of the stadium, depending on their preference. In the new stadium, the NFL folks are on the pressbox side. Those of us in the media are on the other side. There is no mingling during practices. That makes it tough to see who is there and who/what they are watching.

The new stadium is great, but it has taken away a lot from the Senior Bowl experience. In the old stadium, Andy Reid sat 12-feet away from me. Now I can’t get within 100 yards of him.

The people running the Senior Bowl now have it set up so that every team meets with every prospect. That has taken away some of the fun of the reports about the Eagles interviewing this QB or that LB. Every team interviews everyone.

I asked multiple people their thoughts on Fletcher Cox. Everyone agreed that he had a strong season and it would make sense to bring him back. I think money will be key, but he’s still a good DL and he is a good fit for Fangio’s scheme.

The discussions on James Bradberry were a lot less fun. No one could think of a player who fell so far in one season. Bradberry went from a top CB in 2022 to an absolute disaster in 2023. We all expected some type of drop off, but not that. It was shocking.

One of the best things about the trip to Mobile is the barbecue. The best spot in town is called Meat Boss. If you make it to Mobile for any reason, I would encourage you to go there. Great barbecue. I had pulled pork. I think Jimmy ate pulled chicken. And the potato salad is outstanding.

I also ate at Dreamland. It is more well known, but isn’t anywhere close to as good.

http://igglesblitz.com/2024/02/more-coaches/

19 hours ago, time2rock said:

Nussmeier was the QB coach for Moore in both Dallas and Los Angeles. Nussmeier did a good job of getting Dak Prescott to play at a high level. He knows how to work with Moore and run that offensive system. Nussmeier also has ties to Jeff Stoutland.

Notice they mention how he got Dak to play at a high level but not Herbert…