Ritchie on Covey's comments: 'Stunned to hear from the guy who returns punts!'

time2rock

Ritchie on Covey's comments: 'Stunned to hear from the guy who returns punts!'

image.png.a72e60bd82b39591437bae08c32d96e4.png

Jon Ritchie was "stunned" to hear the incredibly candid comments from second-year punt returner Britain Covey on the Eagles' 2023 collapse.

"I am stunned and I am not happy if I am the Eagles' organization that the punt returner—now, granted, he had a really great year as a punt returner," Ritchie said on Friday's 94WIP Morning Show. "You don't want the guy who returns punts to say anything and then the fact that he's getting into miscommunications with the coaches? Holy cow! Emotionally tired, he's speaking for the team. The guy who returns punts! He's backing up how terrible of a disaster this entire season was. You do not need to validate how terrible this season was, especially if you are the punt returner."

Covey, who had an excellent year as a punt returner with 417 yards on 29 returns, said this when asked about the Eagles' collapse by Chat Sports analyst Chase Senior.

"I definitely think we got emotionally tired from trying to figure out what the problem was," Covey said. "There was some miscommunication from coaches to players, there was some pointing fingers from player to player and there was letting outside voices impact our love for the game and the happiness we had.”

https://www.audacy.com/94wip/sports/eagles/philadelphia-eagles-britain-covey-collapse-tired-comments

Typical media - mad when the guys don't speak their mind and critical when they do.

Aren't punt returners in the locker room and in the team meetings all season? Don't they communicate back and forth with other players on the team?

John Richie should just shut up. 

This is very typical of the media to slate a player for being honest but moan when they give us nothing.

I’ll be honest as a fan I don’t really care if the players speak up… As long as they get the problems fixed it doesn’t matter.

It isn’t a great look when the issues continue though.