Sources: Eagles have been in contact with former Chargers HC Brandon Staley for defensive role

time2rock

Sources: Eagles have been in contact with former Chargers HC Brandon Staley for defensive role

As the Eagles continue to rebuild their staff, an interesting name has come across our desk here at The Liberty Line.

Philadelphia has reportedly been in contact with former Chargers head coach Brandon Staley for a potential role on their defensive staff, a league source confirms to TLL.

image.png.cabb6bf5d7f657e244fef79e27f07ec5.png

Staley, 41, worked under new Eagles defensive coordinator Vic Fangio for three years as an outside linebackers coach in Denver and Chicago.

To put it lightly, the 2023 season was a disaster for the Chargers with Staley in charge, but he still garnered interest for available DC jobs following his firing.

As the Rams’ defensive coordinator in 2020, Staley’s unit ranked first in total yards allowed (292.9), second in points allowed (19.3), and second in sacks (53). The Eagles have already filled their inside linebacker coaching position; Staley’s familiarity with Fangio could be a fit for the OLB vacancy.

Rumors of Staley having a ‘divided locker room’ may play a factor, however. The Eagles will have to exercise due diligence to ensure Staley aligns with their culture.

https://thelibertyline.com/2024/02/09/sources-eagles-brandon-staley/

I actually think this could make a lot of sense. Staley was a really good DC and if they can bring him in perhaps he could be a medium term replacement for Fangio? Work with him and offer some continuity given Fangio is possibly in the latter stages of his career.

If we keep Washburn I;m all for it. If it means Wash goes then I'm a no