Infam's Pre-Combine Mock (02-29-24)

Infam

Hello everyone! Sorry for my silence for quite some time, was a bit sad with how the season ended and couldn't bring myself to the mocks like I usually do. But hey, as usual I see things quite differently and I thought I'll share my thoughts with you, my beloved little freak community of Eagles mock-drafters.

So, let me get one thing out of the way first: Every year I just fall in love with one guy. And this draft crush almost always looks very much out of reach in the early draft process, yet I just can't get myself to let it go and be 'more realistic'. And for 3 years now these guys fell a bit and the Eagles ultimately ended up trading up and drafting the guy. So, I might have used all my mojo to ask the universe to let us draft Smith, Davis and Carter... but hey, maybe the streak continues!! 😁

That brings us to the guy I just really, REALLY want us to draft this year, and it is Joe Alt. And like usual he seems way out of reach, certain top10. Maybe so. That said he no longer is the unanimous OT1 in the draft, and I was quite happy to hear Greg Cosell say he didn't love his tape and that he looked not aggressive enough. There are plenty of top notch OT to be had, Fashanu, Latham, Fuaga, Mims.. so there is a chance other teams value some of them over him. I will hope that he will at least be available at #9 and truth be told I wish some questions on his tape result in him falling a bit more than that. After saying all of this, I am not sure if he is the best tackle in the draft. But I think he is the perfect tackle for us and Stout. That said I think this is a very good OT class and any of these guys would help us. Wouldn't be sad either way. Still I just frikkin' want Joe Alt for like two years now. :whistle:

For now, I won't go into much detail on the offseason. I expect Kelce and Graham to stay one final year, Cox to leave, Reddick to be traded, Bradberry to be restructured.

It's really hard to judge where players are drafted before the combine, and I fully expect things to change with the athletic testing as it does every year. But to have at least one mock going before that changes everything I sat down today to share some thoughts with you guys. Just for now, I did look at the CBS rankings to get a rough idea on where people will go.

Notice that there is a trade up with future draft capital here, which is somewhat unlikely. Don't know how, but if I have to make it more concrete I'll go with trading our 2025 second and Reddick to get Alt in the first. That way I can conveniently share some more prospects I have my eye on with you guys.

1-- Joe Alt, RT, Notre Dame. (6'7, 322)

A lot has been spoken about this guy. Is he the best tackle? Is he overrated? At 6'7, 322 he sure has the ideal size. I think his "lack of aggression" and "subpar hand placement" are things that can be corrected. Yes, he is NOT an elite athlete (albeit a very good one, nonetheless) but believe me, give that dude to Stout and we are good at tackle for a decade plus.

2-- Troy Franklin, WR, Oregon. (6'3, 187)

But Infam! How dare you. This year is defense, defense, defense. Not offense, wth.. Sorry but Roseman always looks at value. How hard will it be to find the right guys in FA? How valuable is the position? How strong is the draft at a position? This draft is excellent for WRs, and this guy is the kind of receiver that would have been a first round pick in most other years. And receivers are hard to get and very expensive.. his combination of good size and speed, decent hands (even though I wish he would reach out more at times)... if we get him, we will never regret it.

2-- Khyree Jackson, CB, Oregon. (6'3, 195)

Feels like most drafts there is this one corner projected to go in the second that ends up to go in the second that is just really, really good. This year I believe it is this dude. He has the size, the tackling and the mentality to really change our defense. Another Duck? Yeah. I think both Franklin and Jackson are way underrated. Am really curious where they will be mocked after the combine, as both have the physical potential to be first round picks if they blow up the combine...

3-- Adisa Isaac, Edge, Penn State. (6'4, 249)

Had a really good year and I wonder how CBS only has him at 108. He is a willing tackler, he is getting sacks now and fits the new mold of lighter EDGE pass rushers that we love to go for. I think with him and Nolan Smith we hopefully can compensate the loss of Reddick to some degree. It will still hurt, of course. But given what we would pay for these two, we should be set up very, very well.

So here it goes. Yes it has a lot of offense, yes it is quite optimistic. I get it. But I do think a draft like that would actually help us in FA to get even more done.

Besides you know me, I just love watching prospects on the offense. And in general it has been the Eagles way to draft on offense and buy for the defense. Lurie sure shares my infatuation for that side of the ball too.. so never say never.

• Like 1

Fantastic! Thanks for the read. I like the first 3 rounds.

Despite your narrative, I don't see Alt for 2 simple reasons 1- he likely can't play guard at 6'7" and 2 and I wouldn't plan on sitting a 1st round pick for a year (or 2), not when we have so many needs.  

• Like 1

I like it a lot, my friend!

OT is definitely in play in the first and although I believe Alt will be the first tackle taken in the top 10, stranger things have happened and the kid could definitely fall a bit. Probably not within Howie’s range but who knows?!

For some reason I have the feeling that if the Eagles trade Reddick, they’ll target an edge rusher in the first. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Ray75 said:

OT is definitely in play in the first

I don't see it for the 2 reasons I posted above. 

1 hour ago, Rob331 said:

I don't see it for the 2 reasons I posted above. 

Strange?! Howie has done it many, many times before (Dillard, Dickerson, Jurgens) and you don’t see it?!

Even Lane Johnson was drafted to be JP’s heir apparent but was so good on the right side that they decided to keep him there.

Mark my words; OT is definitely in play at #22. Especially cause this is a really good class and at No.22 an OT could be BPA. Ohhh and Lane is 34 years old btw.

I even think probability of Eagles taking an OT in the first is way, way higher than them taking a CB.

• Thanks 1

New names which I struggle with I get locked into 2-4 players per position that I really like and tend to stick with them no matter how hard I try.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Ray75 said:

Strange?! Howie has done it many, many times before (Dillard, Dickerson, Jurgens) and you don’t see it?!

2 of those were 2nd round picks and i believe Dillard was drafted because of JP's frequent injuries. If Kelce retires it'll be an IOL in the 2nd. 

On 3/1/2024 at 7:42 AM, Ray75 said:

I like it a lot, my friend!

OT is definitely in play in the first and although I believe Alt will be the first tackle taken in the top 10, stranger things have happened and the kid could definitely fall a bit. Probably not within Howie’s range but who knows?!

For some reason I have the feeling that if the Eagles trade Reddick, they’ll target an edge rusher in the first. 

Yes, I even thought about that too and was close to do a mock with a DE in the first. But in the end I wanted to go with Alt, think he is the real deal.

Now with the combine impressions I think my next mock will be with Jared Verse in the first... 😁

18 hours ago, Cheesteakitis said:

New names which I struggle with I get locked into 2-4 players per position that I really like and tend to stick with them no matter how hard I try.

I know that feeling too.