Mo Money

time2rock

Mo Money

Posted: February 23rd, 2024 | Author: Tommy Lawlor

The Eagles were actually in solid cap shape heading into the offseason. They didn’t have a ton of space, but had flexibility to make moves without doing a bunch of financial maneuvering. The Eagles will now have even more space.

image.png.356f1855486ffed14f2347017cade46d.png

That is an increase of $30M from last year. That’s a lotta money. Teams knew the cap would go up, but not that much. This is the NFL version of reaching into the pocket of a jacket and finding $20 you forgot about. PBR and Funyuns for everyone!!!

This is good news for the Eagles. They don’t need to go on a crazy spending spree. They have to be smart because they have players who are going to need extensions. But the team can go shopping. They definitely have areas that need to be addressed. You might have heard that LB was slightly less than an elite position last year. Maybe the extra space will lead the Eagles to spend more at that spot.

Howie Roseman and his staff will adjust their plan to make the best use of the extra space.

Did the Eagles just get a couple of extra free agent targets today?

image.thumb.png.a58865d8129f4a63b292ccc686a66357.png

Both guys played for Vic Fangio last year. Both guys have a good track record. Both guys will turn 31 this season.

I would pass on Howard. The Eagles don’t need to be investing money in an older corner. I hope they learned their lesson from last year. Ogbah could make sense if the team wants depth at edge. They might prefer to bring back Brandon Graham and see about adding someone in the draft.

Neither guy feels like a likely addition at this point.

Beyond those two, I think the Eagles need to be careful about adding older players. They have had some success with that in the past, but sure didn’t last season. I would prefer a younger, hungrier team that played with more of an edge.

There has been a lot of talk about AJ Brown and the Eagles. There have been some talk show people making vague claims. I haven’t said anything about all of this because it just felt like offseason nonsense. We haven’t heard anything factual.

We did hear from AJ on Friday.

image.png.21921cd9e60fa333d702261032c844a1.png

Can we please end with all the speculation and craziness?

image.png.606dfbddc01481fbfb7be09065196b95.png

Brown is a guy you want on your team and he’s someone that helps you win games. He helped the Eagles get to the Super Bowl in 2022 and is a key factor in them having a chance to go back.

Nick Sirianni is far from a perfect coach. But he’s smart and seems to have good instincts. I found it interesting to listen to Steve Young talking about how Bill Walsh wanted his players to connect with each other.

That sure sounds like some of the messaging we hear from Sirianni on a regular basis. That philosophy helped Walsh build great teams that won Super Bowls. Sirianni is a young coach who is still learning, but I do think he’s got good ideas on how to build a team, as opposed to just a roster. Things didn’t go well down the stretch last year. We’ll see how much Sirianni learned from that in the coming seasons.

All teams and coaches have some struggles. The best learn from that and get better.

http://igglesblitz.com/2024/02/mo-money/

They don’t need to go on a spending spree but they need to spend wisely on the defense and they need to add some serious talent. They need to be smart!