Jason Kelce retirement poll

kiwinavega

Does Kelce belong on the eagles Mt Rushmore?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. With Kelce likely announcing his retirement today, does he merit a place o the Eagles Mt. Rushmore?

• Yes, definitely
    • Yes, if it´s offense only
    • No, but it´s close
    • Nope

Seems like Jason Kelce is announcing his retirement today, so...

It's an interesting question.  My personal Mt. Rushmore he would definitely be on it - but I've only been a fan since the mid to late 90s.  As far as Eagles history - I don't know.  

I remember early on when people were saying he wasn't good. Then they put better guards next to him and he flourished. He's played at an elite level for a long time and became a fan favorite off the field

• Like 1

The guy is arguably the best downfield run blocker in football history. That alone should get him on the Rushmore.

Maybe Chuck Bednarik?

He’s got to be a HoFer surely? Broken consecutive appearance levels whilst playing at an elite level. Redefined how the position can be played. Was a part of the SB winning team and also the team that so nearly won it last year. Not to mention seems like a freaking awesome guy.

I went offense only just because I believe most people are prisoners of the moment.

Reggie White

Brian Dawkins

Concrete Charlie

Those three are already etched in stone on the Mountain and should be for everyone. So that leaves 1 other guy, and there are a lot of options for that 1 other guy. 

1 hour ago, Mike030270 said:

I remember early on when people were saying he wasn't good. Then they put better guards next to him and he flourished. He's played at an elite level for a long time and became a fan favorite off the field

It wasn't early on though. He became starter as a 6th round rookie and people liked him right away from his camp and preseason and interviews. He performed great for years.

He had a down year several years into his career with the guards issue, and that's when some soured on him. The following year they upgraded the guard position and people realized he was trying to compensate to pick up blocks the guards were missing. 

• Like 1

Tough call.  Al Wistert was an All Pro in every season of his career except his rookie season.  Was Kelce a better O lineman than Wistert?Recency bias always makes a list like this almost impossible to limit to 4.  

Reggie White maneuvered his way out of Philly, so that’s always stuck with me.  I get the reasons he needed a change and he forever changed free agency for the betterment of the players.  However, I still struggle putting him on an Eagles "Mt Rushmore”. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aerolithe_Lion said:

I went offense only just because I believe most people are prisoners of the moment.

Reggie White

Brian Dawkins

Concrete Charlie

Those three are already etched in stone on the Mountain and should be for everyone. So that leaves 1 other guy, and there are a lot of options for that 1 other guy. 

Kelce is above Dawkins. For me, it's Reggie, Bednarik, Kelce and then...choose your 4th.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, VeeMak said:

Tough call.  Al Wistert was an All Pro in every season of his career except his rookie season.  Was Kelce a better O lineman than Wistert?Recency bias always makes a list like this almost impossible to limit to 4.  

Reggie White maneuvered his way out of Philly, so that’s always stuck with me.  I get the reasons he needed a change and he forever changed free agency for the betterment of the players.  However, I still struggle putting him on an Eagles "Mt Rushmore”. 

I agree. I'd put Dawkins, Bednarik, Kelce and White, but White is the one that could be debated IMHO.

If you define Mt Rushmore as four people, we could debate this for years, other than the obvious inclusion of Nick Foles. I’m assuming you mean it’s like 11 guys, then yes. 

On 3/4/2024 at 3:20 PM, beto_eagles said:

I agree. I'd put Dawkins, Bednarik, Kelce and White, but White is the one that could be debated IMHO.

You can’t do it w out Nick Foles, sorry. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/4/2024 at 2:44 PM, vikas83 said:

Kelce is above Dawkins. For me, it's Reggie, Bednarik, Kelce and then...choose your 4th.

But... the real Mt Rushmore, the heads are all at the same level.   :blink:.   This ain't no totem pole!

8 hours ago, eggs said:

If you define Mt Rushmore as four people, we could debate this for years, other than the obvious inclusion of Nick Foles. I’m assuming you mean it’s like 11 guys, then yes. 

Yeah... no.  Nick was great for the Super Bowl run... but in no way does that equate to Mt. Rushmore status.  That's for much more than a single moment, or a single game.  

The one player who always seems to be left out of these discussions is Steve Van Buren, the guy who pretty much carried the team to back to back titles in 1948 and 1949. 

• Like 1

A lot of these discussions here and on social media often struggle with it because of only 4. If it were the Top 5 it would be easier. Going in order of the time they played:

1. Bednarik
  2. White
  3. Dawkins
  4. Kelce
  5. Your bubble pick (Van Buren, Foles, etc.)

Dawkins, White, and Bednarik. The fourth spot is up for grabs.

Jason Kelce is on the Mt.Rushmore of Eagles offensive lineman: Kelce and Peters. Bednarik went both ways, playing LB and Center. Tra Thomas as the fourth. But there is also: Jerry Sisemore, Stan Walters, Bob Brown, Jim Ringo, Al Wistert... Lane Johnson will be all-timer when it's all said and done. I am sure there are other guys I missed. He is in good company. I think Kelce will go down as the best Eagles Center, over Bednarik and Ringo (both HOFers too! :o) But best 4 all-time? There's Reggie, Dawk, Bednarik...  4th spot is up for grabs. Kelce? Could be.