One Out, One In (Kinda)

time2rock

One Out, One In (Kinda)

Posted: March 7th, 2024 | Author: Tommy Lawlor

Free agency starts next Wednesday. Legal tampering begins on Monday so we’ll actually see activity then. The Eagles are making moves now to be ready for next week.

image.thumb.png.82b179287da5ce03c55fc6045a13fd70.png

Maddox is a tough subject. There are times when he has played some really good football. He’s in the prime of his career. He is versatile, with the ability to play safety or in the slot. The problem is that Maddox has only played in 39 games in the past four seasons. He just can’t stay healthy.

There was speculation that the Eagles could consider bringing him back at a lesser salary. Maybe. But if the problem is durability, then it doesn’t matter how cheap he is. The Eagles need to spend a draft pick on a guy who can play the slot. If they do that, then having Maddox in the mix would make sense at the right price.

Jason Kelce has retired. Fletcher Cox might be retiring. Brandon Graham wants one more year.

image.png.8f9616d91417201ad4b1cbac4c986ec4.png

BG has value because he can come off the bench and contribute. He won’t cost a ton of money. This is a good role for a high-energy veteran like BG.

We still don’t know if Haason Reddick will be staying. If he is traded, the Eagles will need to replace him with a starting level player. BG is purely a rotational guy at this point.

There has been speculation that the Eagles might pursue Saquon Barkley in free agency. Forget about what Eagles fans think of this, let’s see what Tiki Barber thinks.

That is hilarious.

He wants Barkley to go anywhere in the league but Philly. I love the fact he hates the Eagles so much. That is just fantastic.

I would love to see Barkley in green, but I don’t know if the Eagles would be willing to pay the money needed to sign him. Most likely this is just his agent mentioning the Eagles to drum up interest. RBs haven’t had a very robust market in recent years.

image.png.c5cd02b5b533a15a8b46dd9e54db7642.png

We’ll see. It would be fun to see a dynamic RB like him in this offense.

This cut caught me by surprise.

image.thumb.png.8573605455772abb5efb7cf19a2fcb76.png

Simmons will turn 31 in November, but he remains a good player. He knows the Fangio scheme and would make sense for a couple of years.

This has been a wild offseason for safeties. They are getting cut left and right.

• Justin Simmons
  • Jamal Adams
  • Kevin Byard
  • Jordan Poyer
  • Marcus Maye
  • Keanu Neal
  • Quandre Diggs
  • Eddie Jackson
  • Rayshawn Jenkins

That is wild for one offseason. And there could be more to come.

Teams want cheap options at safety. The Eagles have Reed Blankenship and Sydney Brown, but Brown is hurt for now. Adding Simmons for a couple of years might help the young guys to develop into long term solutions.

Whether the Eagles go for Simmons or someone else, they will have plenty of options. Let’s hope they choose wisely, if they decide to go for a veteran safety. With two young guys already in place, it would make sense to add a veteran free agent.

http://igglesblitz.com/2024/03/one-out-one-in-kinda/

Probably in the minority here, but I've had enough of seeing 30+ year-olds in the secondary. I'd rather get CJGJ back or just draft someone relatively high.